“Neat hotel full of local history”

Historic Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We enjoyed our night at this hotel. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and our room was comfy and quiet. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast in the old bar downstairs (not used as a bar now). It was a beautiful room and full of local historical tidbits -- not to mention articles about resident ghosts at the hotel! My son loved it. I should also mention that the breakfast was phenomenal -- so many choices and all delicious. I should also mention that this hotel is affiliated with a good gift shop (and offers a 10% discount) for those last-minute souvenirs!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank myfamilystravelagent

Reviewed 18 July 2010

If you want to stay in a hotel that could be anywhere, there are plenty of anonymous looking chains in Anchorage. If you want to know you're in Anchorage, get a room here and the tilted floors will remind you that the hotel survived the 1964 earthquake. Lovely lobby and breakfast room (which is alas, no longer a bar at night). Luxury lovers, this isn't for you.... there is no AC, and a lot of the furniture has seen better days. Our bed was comfortable, though. As other posters have mentioned, perhaps the hotel's best feature is the staff. They were terrifically warm and friendly and responded with great kindness when my husband suffered an injury, cutting our vacation short-- we were allowed to stay till 5 PM so we would not have to sit around the airport all day. Thank you Terry, Kelly and everyone for your help!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Snarth
Reviewed 17 July 2010

The staff at the Historic Anchorage was very helpful and accomodating. The room was lovely and comfortable. We had room 201 which was at the front corner of the hotel. It was bright with windows on two walls but was a bit noisy (we were warned of this by the front desk). Although there are reports of ghosts in this hotel, we were not visited by any ghosts.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babobear1
Reviewed 11 July 2010

The Historic Anchorage is a great old hotel in the "trendy" area of Anchorage. It's close to a lot of great restaurants & galleries. What made the stay great was the staff. We stayed here after a 10 days of being very active so by the time we go here we were pretty spent. The staff made suggestions on where to eat, made the reservations, our tranportation arrangements back to the airport...the were great. I have stayed at the Sheraton in Anchorage as well & I would recommend the Historic Anchorage Hotel over them.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rpdubose
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We had a one night stay here on checking in on July 3, out on July 4, so the holiday may have affected some of the goings-on outside our room (303) which fronts the street that is about 1/2 block from a gin-mill called RumRunners that basically had a party rocking all night. I still slept OK because that sort of thing doesn't bother me too much, but the drunken din definitely woke me up a few times. Other than that, the staff couldn't have been better, the room was huge and it was clean, and the bed was comfortable as well. I couldn't really figure out how to cool down the room or turn down the heat (this old joint had some massive heaters in it), but we found a stand up fan in the corner, turned it on us and we were OK. Friendly people and a cool room, albeit a little noisy if you get RumRunners outside your window.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank pjk33
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We stayed two nights, one night before we took the train to Denali and then 3 days later when we returned from Denali.

Pick the hotel initially because we could walk to Train Station from Hotel. We were going to park our car at the train station and then found out we could park the car next to the hotel cheaper, so we purchased the all day passes through the hotel. They also recommended F Street and Glacier Brewhouse to eat and have a beer and both were very good and within walking distance. We are very happy with the choice of hotel and the staff was very nice and helpful. Can't say enough good things.

When we went to Denali we left 4 pieces of luggage along with other items at the hotel. The luggage was in our room when we returned plus because we had so many items, they moved us to a larger room. Breakfast was included in the price of the room, it was very good and filling - you had a choice of cereals, bagels, whaffles, yogurt with fruit or granola along with coffee or orange juice, etc.

Rooms did not have air conditioning, since we were only on 2nd and 3rd floor it was not a big deal and the weather was very pleasant.. We left the windows open at night and ran the fan. Over all very satisfied with choice. I truly enjoyed all the beautiful flowers through out the town.

The history of the hotel is very interesting and I would recommend this place to a friend.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HorizonWest87
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I booked my stay at this hotel b/c I can tough it out a bit, so I didn't let some of the other reviews scare me off. I had a room on the second floor facing E street, and while tI could hear some noise outside from having to leave my windows open at night (b/c there is no a/c), I was still able to sleep. The room was small and the beds were hard, but none of this was unbearable. Service was just okay. I notified the front desk at around 7am that the water in my tub didn't go down, and the housekeeper didn't fix it until noon when I flagged her down and asked her for help. The printer in their "business center" kept acting up, although the people at the front desk tried to help fix it. The biggest complaint I have is that it was SO ridiculously noisy on the second night (which was a Wed night). The hotel is either located near or above a club and all I could hear until 2am was pounding music. I had to put ear plugs and the tv on to drown out the boom, boom, boom. Note that I'm a young person and don't mind loud music -- except when I'm trying to sleep and have to get up super early the next day! This really left me exhausted the next day. So, don't book this place if you're staying on a Wednesday night b/c you might not get any sleep.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business