“WONDERFUL STAFF” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Historic Anchorage Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Historic Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Merrick, New York
“WONDERFUL STAFF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

After missing our connecting flight, we were stranded in Detroit. We missed our first night in Anchorage as well as a tour with the Alaska Railroad to the Kennai National Park. I called Terry, the manager of the Historic Anchorage Hotel, and (crying from frustration) told her that we wouldn't be able to stay the first night . Not only did she credit us for the second night of our stay, Terry upgraded us to a suite to assuage our disappointment.

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Our suite was adorable. I loved everything about the Historic Anchorage Hotel. Especially the staff. !!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PennyAmouyal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

On a Saturday night, 36 hours before leaving for a vacation to Alaska for almost 2 weeks, I broke a molar. I called my dentist, but there was no one on duty before Ieft. I called the hotel and spoke with Terri. I asked if she would be able to recommend a dentist and schedule an appointment duriing the limited time I would be in Alaska. She offered to call her dentist and would leave me a message before I arrived in Seattle for my layover. Not only was the appointment scheduled, but she picked me up from our sightseeing at the Anchorage Museum and drove me to the appointment (it was a $10 fare to return to the hotel). Our rooms, large and comfortably furnished, were on the third floor. Contrary to other reports, we were not disturbed by nighttime noise. The blackout curtains were a welcome respite from the early sunrise. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast, preferring to eat at the Snow City Cafe, so I can't comment on that. But the location was terrific - walking distance to all (and the staff had excellent restaurant recommendations), and we could drop off off our suitcases next door prior to our cruise. I would certainly recommend the HIstoric Anchorage Hotel without reservation!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank RetroKitch
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

Amazing little hotel in Downtown Anchorage, close to all the shops and the 5th Avenue Mall.

Great stay, nice breakfast (philadelphia spread cheese on a hot bagel etc.), very friendly staff.

Free wifi too. Spacious rooms, cable TV etc.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank alexandrosg
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

I chose this hotel because of its high percentage of 4 and 5 ratings and because I needed a hotel close to the Park Connection bus pick up at the Egan Center on 5th Avenue between E and F Streets.

This hotel worked out great as it was nearly next door on E Street, between 3rd and 4th Avenues and within 2 blocks easy walking distance. And to me, the city blocks in Anchorage are small.

The hotel is also really close to the Alaska Railroad Depot, the weekend Market & Festival, and many good downtown restaurants. I walked everywhere. There is no need for a car unless you plan on driving out of town. The taxi from the airport to the hotel cost $17 plus tip. Also, see my reviews of the downtown restaurants Ginger and Snow Goose.

I had read here about the street noise and I am a light sleeper so I asked for a quiet room away from the street fronts when I made my reservation, They accommodated me with room 208 which is midway between the E Street and F Street sides of the building. The room was small but comfortable and clean, and worked just fine for me.

I did have a problem the second night but it wasn't the hotel's fault. I had to get up really early to make the Park Connection bus for Denali but I was awakened but someone stomping around in the room above me very loudly at 11 PM. It continued for about a half hour and I finally called the front desk. The night manager went to the room and took care of it. I thought it might be the ghost but I was told it was a little kid. At 11 PM? Note to parents: when you stay at a hotel, any hotel, you are not at home and you are not alone. You need to be considerate of other hotel guests and control your kids. If I could review the parents I would give them one star. Parents, you know who you are and I hope you are reading this.

The service at the hotel was great. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful.

The nightly rate includes an uncooked breakfast with cereals, yogurt, toast, and bagles plus hard boiled eggs and make it yourself waffles. It was more then adequate for me. The breakfast room is just off the ground floor lobby and is the old bar room. There is a computer with a fast wired Internet connection in the breakfast room for guest use 24/7.

Caution: This is an older building that is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is well maintained but small with only 3 levels and 26 rooms, some of which are junior suites. If small, older hotels bother you, you might be happier next door in the huge towers of the modern Hilton; however, it is much more expensive.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank AustinWhitewater
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

Great location,right in downtown Anchorage! Staff was friendly, breakfast included was small , but good selection of teas and a belgium waffle maker very tastey! l Alot of historic photos hanging also neat! Room itself was good clean bathroom also, the one thing that was a problem is shower drain it didnt work at all while showering other than that everything was fine, slept with open windows to get the fresh Alaskan air !

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank travelapple
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

I've stayed in this hotel 5 times and my 6th time wil be Aug. 21st. I tell all my friends and family if they're staying in Anchorage, they must stay here. The hotel is located right downtown, one block from the Saturday Market. On Friday and Saturday nights downtown can get a little noisy, just like any city, I turn on the fan to drown out the noise. My 5 year old never woke up. This is probably the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. Everything is spotless. The decor is beautiful. A complimentary breakfast is served every morning from 6-10am. Make your own waffles (which my daughter loves doing) there's several cereals, juice, milk, coffee, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, bagles, etc... I'm sure I'm forgetting something. The employee are great, Jessica checks us in, she's very knowledgeable about the city and Terri checks us out. The nicest lady I've ever met. Parking is across the street for $8 for 24hrs. Free wireless and a fitness room, also! I'm running out of space so after my aug. 21st stay, I'll write another review.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank chanchorage
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

This is a "pretty good news-BAD NEWS" scenario. I had read quite a few of the reviews and with an 89% thumbs-up rating felt like this was the place for us. It wasn't a cookie-cutter hotel, it was right downtown, and it sounded like the personel were well trained and accomodating. Most of that was true, it is looking a little worn around the edges, but still OK. As it turned out the breakfast was OK, but not great. THE PROBLEM is the NOISE... AND I MEAN NOISE!!! We had a Suite with great windows and quite a bit of charm. Unfortunately, those windows are up on the front corner of the building (corner of E Street and 3rd Avenue)... right across the street from The Rumrunner. We are pretty tolerant people, but the bar opens their front doors and it's like your trying to sleep right in the middle of their dance floor! The motorclycles were loud and plentiful and we could hear muffled conversations from on the street and from the park across the street. This was on a Wdenesday night- I can't imagine what a weekend would be like. At 1 AM I finally called down and asked for a different room. They were very nice and I could tell that this is a problem that they hear often. They put us in the only vacant room available which was on the E Street (front) side... it too was quite noisy, but not as bad - we were exhausted from having been up early and flying all day so we finally got to sleep. The next day we were beat. We found out that the rooms on the back (alley side) are OK though... so you might try it as long as they promise the alley!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple