“Pleasant stay, great location”
Review of Copper Whale Inn

Copper Whale Inn
Ranked #9 of 126 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed at the Copper Whale Inn on two consecutive weekends, before and after a trip to Denali National Park. On both occasions we stayed in the annex, behind the main inn. I believe the rooms we stayed in were #9 and #13--one was on the first floor and the other was on the second. The second floor room had the better view; the first floor room had a little patio. We liked the second floor better.

Both rooms were clean and comfortable. We were surprised that earplugs were provided, but a clerk explained to us that some guests had complained about noise. The only noise we were aware of was of pedestrians' conversations as they walked past on the way to Cook Inlet, just a block or so away. For us, this was no reason to try the earplugs.

We stayed at the end of July--early August, so it stayed light until very late. Our rooms were equipped with blinds that effectively blocked the sun so we could sleep better.

We were especially happy with the location of this inn, just a minute or two from Cook Inlet. There is access to a biking/walking/running path along the inlet, which we used during both stays. Very beautiful. Also, downtown is a fairly close walk--maybe 15 minutes--and there are cafes and convenience stores close by. Also, a very good restaurant--Simon and Seafort--next door. We went there for dinner a couple of times.

We did not take much advantage of breakfast--we arrived back from a run too late on one morning and left too early on another morning (but were kindly provided by a staffer with a couple of pieces of fruit and some yogurt to take on the train), but it looked fine, if basic.

Another advantage of this place is laundry facilities. Since we had come from a cruise and were heading into the backcountry, we had need of a washing machine. They made it easy to get our laundry done, and the cost ($6/load) seemed reasonable since it saved us from having to go to a laundromat.

We found service to be friendly and helpful. Staff were eager to provide suggestions and chat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebOChicago_IL
CopperWhaleRider, General Manager at Copper Whale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visits with us.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My initial feelings about this B&B were not warm and fuzzy. I had made reservations well in advance (at least 7 months) but forgot to mention I had AAA. A few months later I saw in some reviews of the place that they accepted AAA, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to call back to see if I could get the discount since it was still months ahead of time and nothing had been charged on my card. I talked with the man who is either the manager or the owner or both. He was quite rude and snarky on the phone and started explaining why I should feel guilty about making such an outrageous request. At this point I was so surprised and, frankly, angry by his tone that I completely cut him off, and he quickly ended the guilt trip and said he would give me the AAA discount, and the conversation ended abruptly. I considered canceling the reservations, but I decided to let it go (although you can see by this review I didn't completely let it go). The day after we checked into the B&B my husband & I were talking with him and this time it was my husband who was irritated by his snarky comments. Anyway, later that afternoon we talked with him longer and then he was very friendly, so in the end I was glad I didn't let my initial feelings prevent us from staying at Copper Whale Inn.

We were in one of the top floor rooms of the main house; it was called "Redoubt." I believe it is one of the nicest rooms at the B&B. It has a private bathroom (not all rooms do) and a beautiful view of Cook Inlet and mountains beyond. We saw beautiful sunsets and took lots of pictures from the windows. There isn't really any extra sitting room in the room besides the bed, but the view makes up for it. There is a great dog mushing photo above the bed and earplugs provided if needed. There is also daily cleaning service, which we did not encounter at every B&B we stayed at in Alaska. The breakfast looked adequate, but we only had coffee and orange juice.

The best feature of the B&B is its location. You are close enough to walk to downtown restaurants, but on the edge of downtown so you get great water views. And the breakfast spot just down the street about a block is arguably the best breakfast in a restaurant you can get in Alaska (Snow City Cafe -- DO NOT MISS -- and be sure to make a reservation even if its the day before, I don't think you can make it on open table, go to restaurant website). Simon & Seaforts is right next door, which is very convenient since the bar area makes a nice spot to watch the sunset with beautiful views and have some wine or cocktails (in case you need a break from the excellent Alaskan beers). And there's bike rentals right next to the front door of the main building of the B&B. We rented bikes and rode for hours on the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, which starts in the park just down the hill from the B&B, I highly recommend it. Overall, we found the value of this B&B to be very good considering the location and views.

Room Tip: Redoubt had a private bathroom and great views. On the street side with some street noise but we did...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary A
CopperWhaleRider, General Manager at Copper Whale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Thanks for your opinions.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Perfectly situated for The Fur Rondy and Iditarod Ceremonial Start Line, the Copper Whale has a super friendly home from home atmosphere. The rooms are warm and spotless. Little extras like shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser and ear plugs make for a comfortable and quiet stay. Beautiful scenery of the bay from the breakfast room also offers viewing of some fantastic sunsets. I will definitely be booking again for my next Anchorage stay.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank AmalfiAce
CopperWhaleRider, General Manager at Copper Whale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thanks so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Winter in Anchorage offers a lot more activities and options than most visitors expect to find that time of year.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Copper Whale Inn which is located in/near Anchorage downtown. The hosts were very friendly and welcoming. The Inn itself was clean and well maintained. The room was spacious. Tea and coffee were available all day. The Inn also offered a continental breakfast buffet which I found amazing: fresh fruits, yoghurts, muffins,…
I got the feeling that the hosts really care about their guests (Internet station, town maps, guest fridges, chocolate on pillow, …)
The only thing I did not like so much was the traffic noise, as my room faced the road.

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the road will probably have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Couldn't be happier with our stay here. Highly recommend!!! Close to everything. Wonderful greeting and helpful suggestions for restaurants and activities. Bike rental next door as well as steps to bike trail. Comfy and clean with beautiful gardens and water fountains.
We will stay here again!!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing water
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
CopperWhaleRider, General Manager at Copper Whale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We spent two nights and the Copper Whale last week and will happily stay there again on future visits. The inn is right in downtown Anchorage, within walking distance of several restaurants, close to the coastal hike/bike trail, and the anchorage people mover main downtown stop. Surrounded by lovely gardens, I never felt like we were in the middle of downtown while on the hotel property.

We were in the annex, room #11. During the day, with windows opens, there was some street noise. But not enough noise to keep me up at night (with the windows still open). I only heard the water feature in the garden outside.

The continental breakfast was wonderful - a staff member even bought in homemade blueberry jelly one morning. I didn't mind the tv stands - they made breakfast seem very relaxed as people wandered in and out of the room. Tea, coffee and water are available all day. They also have refrigerators and microwaves available for guests.

Most importantly, I loved the atmosphere at Copper Whale. Staff members were always available to chat and suggest sights (they even offered to loan me a growler when I mentioned our plans to visit a local brewery). But I never felt like they were hovering or that I didn't have privacy. I can't imagine a better place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
CopperWhaleRider, General Manager at Copper Whale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

From on Austinite to another, y'all are welcome anytime! Thanks so much.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

13 of us stayed in the the end of July 29. They have 2 buildings side by side with a lovely little garden between. The rooms are clean and comfortable for 3 people and have a spectacular ocean view.
Glen, the Inn Keeper helped us arrange for a van to transport all our luggage to the Train Station as well as book a restaurant resvervation for our large group. The staff packed us a breakfast to go the morning we left. We couldn't have asked for any better care and attention!
There is a bike rental on the corner of the Inn lot and another directly across the street. We took advantage of the great location one block from the ocean and went on a long bike ride beside the sea ona paved pathway.
We would highly recommend this location. All the staff were wonderful and we loved our stay here.
.... the only sad thing was that we never had enough time in Anchorage. We are planning on coming back and The Copper Whale Inn will be our first room choice.

Room Tip: This is a quiet little Inn ... ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Verna L
CopperWhaleRider, General Manager at Copper Whale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you so much. I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We will hope to host you again sometime!