We stayed at the Copper Whale Inn on two consecutive weekends, before and after a trip to Denali National Park. On both occasions we stayed in the annex, behind the main inn. I believe the rooms we stayed in were #9 and #13--one was on the first floor and the other was on the second. The second floor room had the better view; the first floor room had a little patio. We liked the second floor better.
Both rooms were clean and comfortable. We were surprised that earplugs were provided, but a clerk explained to us that some guests had complained about noise. The only noise we were aware of was of pedestrians' conversations as they walked past on the way to Cook Inlet, just a block or so away. For us, this was no reason to try the earplugs.
We stayed at the end of July--early August, so it stayed light until very late. Our rooms were equipped with blinds that effectively blocked the sun so we could sleep better.
We were especially happy with the location of this inn, just a minute or two from Cook Inlet. There is access to a biking/walking/running path along the inlet, which we used during both stays. Very beautiful. Also, downtown is a fairly close walk--maybe 15 minutes--and there are cafes and convenience stores close by. Also, a very good restaurant--Simon and Seafort--next door. We went there for dinner a couple of times.
We did not take much advantage of breakfast--we arrived back from a run too late on one morning and left too early on another morning (but were kindly provided by a staffer with a couple of pieces of fruit and some yogurt to take on the train), but it looked fine, if basic.
Another advantage of this place is laundry facilities. Since we had come from a cruise and were heading into the backcountry, we had need of a washing machine. They made it easy to get our laundry done, and the cost ($6/load) seemed reasonable since it saved us from having to go to a laundromat.
We found service to be friendly and helpful. Staff were eager to provide suggestions and chat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy scenic ocean and mountain views from downtown Anchorage at the Copper Whale Inn! Our two adjacent houses offer comfortable, modern accommodations and our historic main house is the first architecturally designed home in Anchorage. Easy walking distance to business and arts, activities, restaurants, galleries, the Anchorage Museum and the Coastal Trail. Bike rental on-premise (summer). Concierge services, free wi-fi! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and HotelsClick so you can book your Copper Whale Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copper Whale Hotel Anchorage
- Copper Whale Inn Anchorage, Alaska