“Lobby ... misleading!!”

Ranked #44 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Homer, Alaska, United States
“Lobby ... misleading!!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I am somewhat unfamiliar with Anchorage (I can find most places if you can take me from Tudor or Northern Lights area). When I got to Anchorage, we stopped at a store on Northern Lights first (the 3G on my phone was not working for some reason, so I couldn't look up directions), and didn't know how to get to L street from where I was. I called the hotel, and was put on hold, as I was driving down the Anchorage streets, not quite sure where I was going. I waited too long, and decided to hang up and just find the place my self rather than wait for them to get back to me for directions.

The hotel looked SPECTACULAR from the outside, and in the lobby. Check in was quick and painless (especially for having a tired 3 year old after a long car trip). We requested a "higher" room at check-in (the kids wanted something up high!!) and the switch was super simple to the 10th floor :) We got a 10th floor corner room ... The view of the city was amazing.

The issues that I had, was the first thing we noticed was how "blah" the rooms were with absolutely no decor (though the light fixture hanging over the kitchen table was super cool!!!) other than an Alaskan montage on the wall behind the beds. The first bed had a big tooth paste smear (definitely old, dried on) on it, the vent above the toilet in the bathroom was FULL of dust, the bathroom had no fan (I have three boys in my family ... bathroom fans are much appreciated!), only one wash clothe, and in the morning when I went to blowdry my hair, the hair dryer only blew cold. There was only one garbage can (a small bathroom sized garbage can) in the bathroom.

The night we checked in (we only stayed one night) we checked in later in the day (around 7:30pm) and told the front desk about the issue with the tooth paste on the bed spread. She informed that housekeeping was gone for the day (understand, I work at a hotel myself) but that somebody would get to it. We told them that was fine, we were going to dinner and would be back in a few hours (TGI Friday's on Tudor and C ... HIGHLY recommend) :) But when we got back from dinner, their solution was to toss a new bed spread on to the bed without even removing the dirty bed spread. We removed all bed spreads from both beds and slept without them. In the morning when the blow dryer didn't work, I requested a different one, and though they did get one sent up to me, it took them almost 20 minutes (my hair was almost air dried by then). The funniest thing about the room, though, was the box TV lol I kind of expect hotels these days to have flat screen TV's (takes up less space, looks cleaner and more streamlined) but we weren't there to watch TV anyways :)

Being in a city (we're small town people) we expected city sounds, but have to admit that watching the street races down the strip at midnight was pretty cool to see. :) totally Fast and the Furious stats with neons under the cars and using the stop light for their go light :) that was a total blast, and such a great view from the tenth floor!

We were very happy that there was a fan in the room. It did get pretty warm (we left the windows open and the fan going the entire time). The restaurant looked amazing!! It had the "Italian vineyard" feel to it that I want to do in my kitchen at home (so I took tons of pics for great ideas!).

The staff (from the cute girls at the front desk to the wonderful wait staff that was MORE than patient with my toddler, very accommodating) were spectacular. Very friendly, very smiley. I ordered the French Toast with an extra bacon (my little guy is a meat eater!!!) but the menu said that it came with mascarpone, but it had no mascarpone or butter. My husband's eggs benedict was over cooked. But it was yummy, quick enough :)

Over all? It was a pretty okay place to stay. They were accommodating, just wish they had later in the evening staff to deal with certain issues (like the blankets). Cleanliness in the rooms could be better, too (they should be dusting everything each and every time). It was quiet (didn't have issues with hearing any other guests).

For $200 (after tax) it was ... decent. If it were $100 for the night, it would have matched the room quality a bit better.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
St. George, Utah, USA
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last week and we were very disappointed. We paid $180 for this room and the quality was definitely not worth that. It was obvious that this was an older hotel that had been redone because the room and bathroom were very small (only one person in the bathroom at a time) and the ceilings were gross. It was nice having a sink and mircrowave in our room and a big mirror so that I could get ready while my husband was showering because there wasn't enough room for the both of us. The beds were comfortable enough but the pillows were horrible! They were litterally the same size as the pillows that you get on an airplane. The front desk girl suggested a few restuarants for us but was not friendly at all about it. We stayed in Anchorage a few nights later and we stayed at the Days Inn and we were so much happier there. Our room was much bigger, better TV, cheaper price, and normal sized pillows. I wish we would have stayed there both nights.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beth2309

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Reviewed 28 July 2012

-the furniture is old and dirty
-the wall is falling down here and there
-had to call twice for shuttle, was an hour till get picked up.
-quite noisy
-no mini bar
-in some reason breakfast was not included

+have wifi
+location is oke

Over all feels like a school camp place, not a hotel ;(

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank AelitaH
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 23 July 2012

On short notice this was the least expensive place we could get. We stayed here at the height of summer and were surprised at how nice it actually was; we had never even heard of it or noticed it before. The afternoon/evening staff wasn't the friendliest, but checkout staff was super friendly and pleasant. Bar staff also excellent and friendly!Very quiet room, even though all rooms were booked. Clean, tastefully decorated. It is an older place but we care more about function. Great little efficiency with space for dining. View of the city. And they stored the bounty of our halibut charter in the freezer for free. We will stay here again. The manager could not accomodate a request we had but was very courteous and reasonable in explaining why.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dnelson976
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 22 July 2012

As some of the reviews here have mentioned, if you go to this hotel with the right expectation you will be fine. So let me start with setting some of those expectations: (i) I do not believe this property is 3 stars as advertised by the hotel and many travel sites. In fact, based on negative reviews, I am aware of at least one major travel site that has recently adjusted this hotel to a lower star rating. (ii) Do not expect housekeeping (good luck with those staying here for several days). During my 2 night stay here in July, no housekeeping service was provided during the 2nd day. When I called the front desk about it at 10:30 at night after returning to the hotel, I was provided no apologies but excuses including “housekeeping has not gotten to your room yet”. (iii) Staff at front desk does not care about making your stay pleasant. The first day I arrived, there were 2 luggage carts next to the reception desk and I used one to move my luggage to the room. When I was checking out, none of the carts was there so I asked the front desk if other guests are using them. First, the staff member said that they do not have any luggage carts. When I told him that I had used one a couple of days ago, the answer then was that he does not know anything about them.

On the positive side, you get a clean bed in a good location (in downtown, and about 10 minutes’ drive from the airport). Parking is free, as well as wi-fi in the rooms. The hotel also has a restaurant but I did not eat there to comment on the food.

Stay here ONLY if you get a good price, especially during the busy summer season, as costs add up fairly quickly in Anchorage!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Budget_Traveler_03
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here for just one night before leaving on a cruise. For what we needed, this was a great hotel. If you want something fancy, don't stay here, but if you want something decent for one night, this is a great place for the price. The front desk staff was super. We booked through Hotels.com or Priceline or something like that and when we got to our room, we had two queen beds. Not a huge deal, but I asked if they had a king and the upgraded us to the suite. Given, it wasn't like the Plaza suite or anything, but I thought it was still a nice gesture. They do have transportation to/from the airport, which is awesome. We didn't realize that until we got there and had paid for a cab. They are walking distance from downtown and stored our luggage in a locked closet while we went out and about for the day.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ashley L
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I often use this hotel for business, sometimes 1-2 times per week and 2-4 rooms/night, depending on how many travelers are there for business. Over the last few months there have been multiple issues to do with noise and cleanliness. I called and tried to discuss this with a staff member, because there was no manager available. What I was hoping to accomplish was to let them know about the issues and allow them a chance to rectify them, but the girl who I spoke with was so rude and argumentative that we will discontinue use all together.

Room Tip: Go somethere else...