“Worst stay ever!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Soldotna
“Worst stay ever!”
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stayed at Hampton Inn March 14 through March 17. I had prepaid for our room online in full using my credit card to get a discount on the rate. We checked in Monday March 14, and unfortunately the young woman who checked us in placed a hold on my credit card for $500, far more than the cost of the stay I had pre-paid. I realized it Tuesday March 15 when I checked my VISA statement online, and asked to speak to a manager. After being told no manager was available, I left a note for a manager to call me back since there was obviously a problem. Didn't receive a manager call back, and when we returned to the hotel Tuesday evening after a sporting event I again asked to speak to a manger, and again was told none were available. I again left a note for a manager call back.

Although the hotel is non-smoking, Monday night someone in a room near me was smoking in their room all night, and the smoke was coming into our room. I have asthma, so at 1 am I went to the front desk to report the smoke coming into my room. The front counter gentleman offered me some febreeze, and pretty much asked What do you want me to do for you? Really poor service.

No ventilation in the bathroom at all, we'd take showers and have to immediately open the window to the hotel room to get the steam to clear. The remodeled rooms are SO poorly done I couldn't get the window open by myself, and had to ask the front desk to have someone come up and open it. The newly installed carpet is peeling up at the door, there is no trim plate between the hallway and room carpets.

Very noisy when the window was open with road traffic, we were in a room in the middle of the hotel on the 3rd floor and if the window was open even just a little we couldn't hear anything but road noise.

The pool was out of service the entire time we were there. One of the reasons we spend a lot of money on a hotel when we go to Anchorage is to get to swim while we're there, like a vacation. We did not receive any discounts for not having all the amenities available to us, they did offer to put us in a van and take us to their sister hotel, but who wants to leave a hotel after swimming in a pool, go outside in winter and get in a van for a ride?

Hotel advertises Free Wifi, however when we tried to tap into it using the code we were given when we checked in we continually got errors and gave up on it. Another amenity that we paid for but didn't receive!

Absolutely horrible stay, I won't stay at another Hilton if I can help it!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Alaskamelinda
GMANCAK, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
Good Afternoon,
First of all let me tell you I’m sincerely sorry that you had to endure this during your stay as this is neither a Hilton nor a Hampton standard.
I apologize for the problems encountered during renovation and wish this had been brought to my attention during your stay, as with any renovation it does take time and is not always the best of situations but this coupled with bad service seems to have only made this problem worse.
I’m thankful to have received this post from you, as this has been an eye opener on how things could have been handled differently during your stay. During our renovation guest service has to be our number one priority, without proper service there would be no need for a renovation. This letter has been shared with our staff and used today as a training tool as to what we can all do different in these many situations and how we can be there for our guest and offer the best and most professional service we can.
I hope that in the future that this can be overcome and that you will regain your trust in Hampton Inn and Hilton. At this time I would invite you to contact management directly at the hotel as we would love to speak with you on what we can do for your future stays.

Stephen Hutchings
Sales Manager Hampton Inn by Hilton
P: (907) 550-7011
F: (907) 561-7330
C: (907) 953-7612
E: Stephen.Hutchings@Hilton.com

Visit us at Hampton Inn by Hilton Anchorage

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Kodiak Island, Alaska
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I am a Hilton Honors member and have been for years. I stay almost exclusively at Hilton Brand Hotels. I favor Embassy Suites and Hampton Inns for their excellent rooms, very nice all-inclusive breakfast and manager's happy hour.
The Hampton Inn in Anchorage is an older hotel in much need of an update. Faded carpets, beat up walls, ancient 27" CRT TVs. Unfortunately, during my stay, an upgrade was exactly what was going on - major renovations. The entire lobby and breakfast area was under construction...major construction. Tools, dust, torn up floors, broken doors, boxes everywhere, piles of paper, missing carpet, etc. Had I not arrived so late at night, I would have gone elsewhere just based on the initial appearance. I was particularly annoyed that no notification of such massive construction was provided when I called for a reservation. The night clerk had the personality of a rock and mumbled. I had to continually ask him to repeat himself during checked-in.
Room was large and relatively clean. Bathroom was tiny and not clean. In fact, I found a dirty wash cloth hanging on the shower curtain rod and long hairs floating in the toilet. I love Hampton Inn's beds and the bed didn't disappoint - by far the best aspect of this hotel room.
Wireless internet access was free and quick. The included breakfast was available in a conference room, but there was no TV to enjoy CNN or Fox News during breakfast, workmen walked in and out in dust covered clothes, helping themselves to guests' coffee and verbally sparring, the back of the room was filled with boxes.
Bottom line, this hotel may be much nicer when renovations are completed, but the current atmosphere and the total lack of effort to shield customers from the renovations definitely DID NOT impress.
I would only stay at this hotel again if all other Hilton Brand hotels are booked (Embassy, Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, and Homewood Suites are all available in the same area)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
GMANCAK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
Dear PVN_Kodiak,

I really appreciate your candor and the good news is that we are finished with the remodel! I would like to sincerely apologize for the lack of service and communication you experienced, I assure you that your experience is the exception and not the rule. I hope that during your next visit to Anchorage you will come back and visit us to see our beautiful new hotel as well as our friendly staff who will wow you with their hospitality! Please contact me directly when you are planning your next visit so that I can personally ensure your satisfaction during your next stay

(p) 907.550.7000 | (f) 907.550.7330 | (c) 907.310.1745
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 November 2010

This hotel is in a great location. It is easy to get here from the airport as well as travel to nearby attractions in Anchorage or even made a day trip to Seward. I stayed here two nights and the hotel's location is also nice in that there is an Applebee's right across the parking lot you can walk to. Also there are other restaurants and a Wal-Mart within quick driving distance. The room was clean initially, but the hotel staff totally skipped service the next day and left the beds unmade and didn't bring fresh towels. The worst part was though the shower drain did not work properly and taking a shower was more like taking a bath while you stood in a tub filled with water.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Dear Wxtravel,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will be sharing your comments during today’s morning meeting with the housekeepers, I want to be sure that we do not make these mistakes again! I hope you enjoyed your trip to Anchorage and I am happy to hear you were able to get out and see some of what Alaska has to offer, the trip to Seward is worth if just for the scenery alone. I hope you will let us make up for our mistakes on your next trip to Alaska, please reach out to me directly when you are headed our way so that I can make special arrangements for you.

(p) 907.550.7000 | (f) 907.550.7330 | (c) 907.310.1745
McDonough, Georgia
Reviewed 13 September 2010

The hotel is in midtown but only about 3 miles from downtown and the complimentary shuttle takes you anywhere within 3 miles including the airport. The facility was clean and offered complimentary hot beverages all day, apples, and cookies in the afternoon. The buffet breakfast was quality expected of Hampton Inn and the server was friendly and constantly being sure to replenish and clean the area. There are several restaurants surrounding the hotel or the shuttle is convenient to transport to others. The front desk was so gracious and helpful to my request for an extended checkout due to a late night flight. My son and his wife were also allowed to ride the shuttle with me while they waited on their flight as we visited the gift shops downtown. There was a slight communication problem with the extended checkout not being shared with the shift the next day. However, I stayed in the lobby until my late night flight and then the shuttle took me to the airport. The pillow top beds are always a plus for me and my senior discount got me a king size bed, microwave, refrigerator and sofa for less than $200 which is a deal for Anchorage. There is a pool, fitness center, free internet and business center. I would definitely stay again and thank the staff for their service in making my Anchorage overnight stay a good one.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Bumpo12
GMANCAK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this review, 4 November 2010
Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I hope to see you on your next visit to Anchorage.

(p) 907.550.7000 | (f) 907.550.7330
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2010

We stayed at the Hampton Inn twice during our trip to Alaska. Whilst it is located well away from Downtown, the shuttlebus which is provided free is an excellent way to get to and from the airport or to be dropped downtown etc.. Nothing was too difficult for the staff...they were friendly, helpful etc....even sorted our letter posting. We loved the tray of cookies in the afternoon. Clean, well sized rooms. Our excess baggage was stored at the hotel while we went off on an adventure tour as well. Very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank s_j_watson
Thanks so much for your kind words. Our fleet of shuttles provides a unique service in that we will take guests to and from work and drop guests off at local attractions saving the cost of having to rent a car when in Anchorage!

(p) 907.550.7000 | (f) 907.550.7330
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We stayed at the Hampton Inn upon our return from the Denali Park tour. They picked us up at the Train Station....made a special stop for us along the way and then delivered us to the hotel. (Attention to our special need saved us a lot of juggling of time!) The room was great and met all our expectations.

For some reason the internet shut down at midnight...but other than that it was okay.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
GMANCAK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Great post! Our staff really gets excited when we get comments like this one. We hope to see you during your next trip to Alaska, glad you enjoyed your trip.

(p) 907.550.7000 | (f) 907.550.7330 | (c) 907.440.0063
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel both when we arrived in Anchorage and just before we left Anchorage. The location was convenient for us to migrate from the airport, to downtown, to the highways taking us south to the Kenai Peninsula and north to Denali NP. The rooms we had were clean and spacious with modern decor and the beds were comfortable. The hotel provides many complementary comforts: warm fresh baked cookies in the evening, a full bowl of fresh apples, 24-hour hot coffee/tea/hot chocolate, free wi-fi, a supply of any toiletries you forgot to pack, morning newspapers, and a variety of hot and cold breakfast choices. We used the business center so we could check in early for our flights and print our boarding passes. The front desk staff even gave us a tip for parking in downtown Anchorage: park in the JC Penny garage and have the store validate your parking ticket, it gives you 2 free hours of parking! We had consistently very good experiences during both of our stays.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JacksonJen
HowardJohnsonGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this review, 28 July 2010
The Hampton Inn Anchorage is ecstatic that we met all your needs during your trip to Anchorage! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Alaska.