“Nice Hotel Decent Value”

Hampton Inn Anchorage
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The hotel was nice and clean. Breakfast had a variety of food. Price was a little high but everything here in Alaska is. Good Location

1  Thank BigMamaFish
Tami L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Thanks for taking the time to post your review! We appreciate your opinion! We also look forward to having you stay with us again in the future! Wherever you go, we wish you safe travels!

I remain,
At your Service!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Anchorage

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We came in late on the Coastal Classic Alaska Railroad train and had the Denali Star the next morning. We dropped dead in our beds and slept like babies until the morning, a GREAT nights sleep which was much needed. Shuttle service to the airport, train station, and downtown, which helps you get around downtown really easy and cheap! Definitely going to stay again here next time in Anchorage.

Room Tip: Book early!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Tami L, Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

We love having you here!

Reviewed 20 August 2011

This hotel is very well managed. The entire staff is friendly and welcoming. This hotel offers a free breakfast that includes hot and cold items which are very good. They have 24 hour coffee and tea service and fresh lemon water is always available. The breakfast area is clean and well tended. The hotel offers fresh baked cookies in the evening.

The fitness center is nice and has a large flat panel television. The pool is nice for kids but not for exercise. It's difficult to do laps. The jacuzzi is large but I didn't try it out. The pool area was clean and had plenty of fresh towels.

There is not much within walking distance of this hotel, you definitely need a car to get around.

Overall a very nice, clean hotel with comfortable beds and a friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback! We are so happy that you stayed with us! We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

We love having you here!!

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Nice place. Clean. Helpful and cheerful staff that know the city. One very minor issue.

Anchorage is the travel base for nearly all of Alaska. You fly in, spend the night, then fly to Nome, Barrow, wherever. This hotel was our base and we stayed here four times over a month. We called before our trip and the staff assured us that we could leave a suitcase in their storage room at no charge. On our last two excursions, they charged us $5.00. Just a wee bit upsetting.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BasicBill
Tami L, General Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you found the luggage storage fee to be an irritant. We hope that you will consider us for your next stay in Anchorage.

We love having you with us.

Reviewed 26 June 2011

Free shuttle to airport, downtown, etc. All the staff were nice and very hospitable. Rooms were quiet...esp compared to our other hotel stay in downtown Anchorage where we heard loud trains all night. We liked the large jacuzzi and indoor pool and the large washers/dryers.

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you for your kind words!! We appreciate that you have options for lodging and we are happy that you chose us! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

We love having you with us!

Reviewed 28 March 2011

We stayed at Hampton Inn March 14 through March 17. I had prepaid for our room online in full using my credit card to get a discount on the rate. We checked in Monday March 14, and unfortunately the young woman who checked us in placed a hold on my credit card for $500, far more than the cost of the stay I had pre-paid. I realized it Tuesday March 15 when I checked my VISA statement online, and asked to speak to a manager. After being told no manager was available, I left a note for a manager to call me back since there was obviously a problem. Didn't receive a manager call back, and when we returned to the hotel Tuesday evening after a sporting event I again asked to speak to a manger, and again was told none were available. I again left a note for a manager call back.

Although the hotel is non-smoking, Monday night someone in a room near me was smoking in their room all night, and the smoke was coming into our room. I have asthma, so at 1 am I went to the front desk to report the smoke coming into my room. The front counter gentleman offered me some febreeze, and pretty much asked What do you want me to do for you? Really poor service.

No ventilation in the bathroom at all, we'd take showers and have to immediately open the window to the hotel room to get the steam to clear. The remodeled rooms are SO poorly done I couldn't get the window open by myself, and had to ask the front desk to have someone come up and open it. The newly installed carpet is peeling up at the door, there is no trim plate between the hallway and room carpets.

Very noisy when the window was open with road traffic, we were in a room in the middle of the hotel on the 3rd floor and if the window was open even just a little we couldn't hear anything but road noise.

The pool was out of service the entire time we were there. One of the reasons we spend a lot of money on a hotel when we go to Anchorage is to get to swim while we're there, like a vacation. We did not receive any discounts for not having all the amenities available to us, they did offer to put us in a van and take us to their sister hotel, but who wants to leave a hotel after swimming in a pool, go outside in winter and get in a van for a ride?

Hotel advertises Free Wifi, however when we tried to tap into it using the code we were given when we checked in we continually got errors and gave up on it. Another amenity that we paid for but didn't receive!

Absolutely horrible stay, I won't stay at another Hilton if I can help it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Alaskamelinda
GMANCAK, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Good Afternoon,
First of all let me tell you I’m sincerely sorry that you had to endure this during your stay as this is neither a Hilton nor a Hampton standard.
I apologize for the problems encountered during renovation and wish this had been brought to my attention during your stay, as with any renovation it does take time and is not always the best of situations but this coupled with bad service seems to have only made this problem worse.
I’m thankful to have received this post from you, as this has been an eye opener on how things could have been handled differently during your stay. During our renovation guest service has to be our number one priority, without proper service there would be no need for a renovation. This letter has been shared with our staff and used today as a training tool as to what we can all do different in these many situations and how we can be there for our guest and offer the best and most professional service we can.
I hope that in the future that this can be overcome and that you will regain your trust in Hampton Inn and Hilton. At this time I would invite you to contact management directly at the hotel as we would love to speak with you on what we can do for your future stays.

Stephen Hutchings
Sales Manager Hampton Inn by Hilton
P: (907) 550-7011
F: (907) 561-7330
C: (907) 953-7612
E: Stephen.Hutchings@Hilton.com

Visit us at Hampton Inn by Hilton Anchorage

Reviewed 7 March 2011

I am a Hilton Honors member and have been for years. I stay almost exclusively at Hilton Brand Hotels. I favor Embassy Suites and Hampton Inns for their excellent rooms, very nice all-inclusive breakfast and manager's happy hour.
The Hampton Inn in Anchorage is an older hotel in much need of an update. Faded carpets, beat up walls, ancient 27" CRT TVs. Unfortunately, during my stay, an upgrade was exactly what was going on - major renovations. The entire lobby and breakfast area was under construction...major construction. Tools, dust, torn up floors, broken doors, boxes everywhere, piles of paper, missing carpet, etc. Had I not arrived so late at night, I would have gone elsewhere just based on the initial appearance. I was particularly annoyed that no notification of such massive construction was provided when I called for a reservation. The night clerk had the personality of a rock and mumbled. I had to continually ask him to repeat himself during checked-in.
Room was large and relatively clean. Bathroom was tiny and not clean. In fact, I found a dirty wash cloth hanging on the shower curtain rod and long hairs floating in the toilet. I love Hampton Inn's beds and the bed didn't disappoint - by far the best aspect of this hotel room.
Wireless internet access was free and quick. The included breakfast was available in a conference room, but there was no TV to enjoy CNN or Fox News during breakfast, workmen walked in and out in dust covered clothes, helping themselves to guests' coffee and verbally sparring, the back of the room was filled with boxes.
Bottom line, this hotel may be much nicer when renovations are completed, but the current atmosphere and the total lack of effort to shield customers from the renovations definitely DID NOT impress.
I would only stay at this hotel again if all other Hilton Brand hotels are booked (Embassy, Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, and Homewood Suites are all available in the same area)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
GMANCAK, General Manager at Hampton Inn Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Dear PVN_Kodiak,

I really appreciate your candor and the good news is that we are finished with the remodel! I would like to sincerely apologize for the lack of service and communication you experienced, I assure you that your experience is the exception and not the rule. I hope that during your next visit to Anchorage you will come back and visit us to see our beautiful new hotel as well as our friendly staff who will wow you with their hospitality! Please contact me directly when you are planning your next visit so that I can personally ensure your satisfaction during your next stay

We Love Having You Here!