“Location, Location, Location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Bloomington, Indiana
“Location, Location, Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Stayed 5 nights at this hotel in the heart of Anchorage. We were there for the Iditarod (dog sled race) & the Mushers' Banquet & ceremonial start were just a couple of blocks from the hotel. Fur Rondy carnival was also nearby including the fun Running with the Reindeers event. Everything was within walking distance so we never needed a car. The room was a corner room on the 9th floor with a beautiful view of mountains to the northwest and the inlet to the south. There was no hot water the first morning, but it was fixed quickly. The breakfast buffet ($20) was the best ever - chef on sight to cook your omllet how you wanted it. Fruits, eggs, biscuits & gravy, bacon, sausage & reindeer sausage, juice, pastries, oatmeal - just fantastic with a very friendly wait staff. Room was comfortable & quiet (wish it had a refrigerator). Lots of shops nearby. Everyone was trying very hard to make sure we had a good stay at their hotel. Dress warm & don't expect the sidewalks in Alaska to be cleared--nature just takes its course there! (They truck in snow for the main street to run the dog sleds!!!)

Room Tip: Try for a corner room with a view - some just look at another building, but some overlook the mounta...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jeana K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Though this hotel is in a good location, the poor customer service and old worn out rooms should deem this hotel not have the Hilton name on it. We booked a Hilton Romance package online to get away and relax and this was anything but. On check in, nothing included in this package was in the room. Was told by Olesea the manager that our package did not include in room breakfast, though it was clearly stated it was from Hilton online - she knew nothing about this Hilton package. Requested the extras be sent up and after requests at 3pm, 5pm & 6:30pm, they finally arrived at 8:30pm. All extras requested online (extra pillows, etc) were never received. Not one cup in the room - had to go and get them from the front desk. Ordered breakfast from room service the night prior and it showed up over an hour late - after calling them.

Room was tiny and worn out - as if nothing had changed since the 90's. I have never seen a smaller bathroom in any hotel. The heater was so loud you could hardly hear yourself think. A horrible hotel experience. Do yourself a favor and choose something else in downtown Anchorage. This is no Hilton or anything even close!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Allen M
olesea v, Front Office Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay with us. We definitely strive to provide the best service. We would like to apologize for not delivering romance package in time, it was a completely lack of service on our side and we improved this service since. I know we discounted room rate for you and we again I would like to apologize you you felt that this wasn't enough to compensate all the delay. We definitely would like to have you back to the property and I personally will make sure everything will be taking care of for you.
We really hope you can give us one more chance to prove you that we can provide a great service, additional to that I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade for you next stay in case you decide to return to our property.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me via email at olesea.velesco@hilton.com or via phone 907-272-7411, I will always at your service.

Best regards,

Olesea Velesco
Front office manager

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Central, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We came in late. Wanted non feather pillows. 2 of the 3 of us have allergies. They only found one in the large hotel.
We also asked for a roll away when making reservations and again at check in @ 1am. I called after waiting an hour. They said it was on its way. I waited and waited. Called again. It came. One side had only 2 springs attached out of 10-15. When my daughter sat down she went to the floor. I again called and both the front desk and person bringing the new one was rude and annoyed with me!??? I paid $10 for the roll away and it wasn't safe for any aged person to be on and they're mad at me?!!!
It was after 2:30 am till we were able to go to bed with the roll away mess.
I was also told I had a complementary upgrade apon arriving. That didn't happen. I'd hate to see tbe lesser quality room if this is an upgrade!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Djlew
Scott D, General Manager at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the experience that you had with your most recent stay but would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention so we are able promptly fix these issues. It is unacceptable that you were kept waiting so long for a roll-away, find it broken upon arrival and not provided with non-feather pillows. In our investigation regarding your complaint, we have identified the problem roll-away and discarded it as well as taken a look at the others on property to make sure all are up to a suitable standard. We have also purchased more non-feather pillows so any guest should be able to have as many as are needed when they stay here with us- no matter what time of day they arrive. All of our Front Desk Agents and Housekeeping Houseman will immediately go through refresher training because it is reprehensible for any staff member to make a guest feel as though they are inconveniencing them.

We know that your rest is of utmost importance, especially after a long flight here, and we never want a guest to leave unhappy or feel like this is an unworthy hotel.

If you would like to speak to me personally I would gladly take the time to apologize directly and make sure the experience you had during your stay is never repeated.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope that in the future you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Scott Doonan
907-265-7118
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

What stood out the most at this Hilton was the friendliness and service of the staff. They were very knowledgeable about the city and provided accurate information and directions quickly in regards to restuarants and other sites. The fitness room was the largest and nicest I have ever seen in a Hilton--or other all other hotels for that matter--and consisted of four or five treadmills, four or five ellipticals/stair steppers, free weights, mulitiple pieces of strength-training equipment, and indoor pool all in good repair. Rooms were the standard Hilton design. Linens/towels were clean and fresh, room was vacuumed, bathroom was clean and stocked. WiFi worked well. Good location in the city, and in walking distance to restuarants and lots of tourist shopping. Valet parking only--no self parking--at $24 a night. If you are going to only be in downtown, forego the rental car and just take a cab from the airport. Downtown is easy to get around on foot. Free breakfast in the Honors lounge was okay--a modest continental breakfast consisting of oatmeal, cereals, breads, fresh fruit and some meat/cheeses. There is a restuarant in the hotel, and I tend to see the free continental breakfasts be a little "leaner" when that is the case, probably to encourage guests to use the restuarant. Because of the somewhat weak breakfast offering, I rate my stay as very good rather than excellent. I would consider staying at this solid hotel again, but might look at some other hotels first--such as the Embassy Suites or the Marriott--just to see if they might provide a little more value and bang for the buck.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank FreqyFlier
Shishmaref, Alaska, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed on the 3rd floor on the Anchorage Tower, the view was beautiful!! I enjoyed looking out the window... Its a a walk away from the closest mall: 5th Avenue. Also it has awesome Internet, AT&T. I really liked the Buffet Lunches that they provided and Breakfast. There was nothing wrong with the room I stayed it, it was clean, I loved the flat screen T.V., and beds were made well by housekeeping. I'd say this is a 5 star Hotel!!

Room Tip: I would like to check out the West Towers next time, I was curious about those ones...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

I try to stay here every time I come to Anchorage. Sometimes the rates get a bit high but most of the time there reasonable for Anchorage.
I absolutely love the location! Can't be beat. Friendly staff and clean rooms. Rooms could use a little update but comparable to most.
Now, lets talk gym. I stay about 70 nights a year in a hotel. Very few places I stay have a gym to rival this one. Lots of cardio and weight equipment, clean and has a great view. West Tower, floor five! See ya there.

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

We had a great time hotel is really well located for walking around downtown, Fur ronde was going on so there's lots of places nearby to walk to so location was key for this trip.
The staff was very helpful especially the valets and concierge. The bar was just ok, Starbucks in lobby had nice pastries

• Stayed February 2013