“Beyond the grand lobby, don't get excited.”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Minneapolis, United States
“Beyond the grand lobby, don't get excited.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

No Hot Tub eventhough it stated there was one. most of the services that you would like were out of order and room smelled musty. Over charged an additional $75.00 for the room after being quoted one rate when booking the room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Steve R, Director of Sales at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
George,

I appreciate your honest review of your recent stay with our hotel. I am disappointed that your experience here did not meet your expectations as comfort and safety is my highest priority for our guests. I would like to speak with so that I may understand the discrepancy with the rate and ensure you received the correct rate. I have addressed your comments regarding the guest room with our Director of Housekeeping so that we may look into this further. Please let me know next time your travels bring you through Anchorage.

Kind Regards,
Steve Rader
steve.rader@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Anchorage isn't known for having great hotels but we thought a Hilton would be ok - not so. The hotel was old and tired and the staff were clearly struggling to cope with the crowds of people constantly flowing through the reception area.

The staff were friendly but seemed confused when it came to allocating rooms. We were told one of our rooms was being cleaned yet there were no cleaning staff on that floor at all.

The heating was broken in one of our rooms and paint was peeling off the bathroom ceiling in the other room. When the people in the next room showered dirty water flowed up into my bathroom sink.

Sleep was difficult as the walls were paper thin and the blackout curtains didn't close properly and seemed to have been dined on by moths as they were full of holes - not ideal when the sun rises around 3am!

On the plus side, the pancakes at breakfast were fabulous but the constant queue to get into the restaurant was a bit of a pain.

Great location but sadly the Hilton name should no longer be considered a luxury brand.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tiny60
Steve R, Director of Sales at Hilton Anchorage, responded to this review, 5 April 2016
Dear Tiny60-

I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your room. I apologize that your room assignment did not meet your expectations as comfort and safety is my highest priority for our guests. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in more detail about your experience.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and that you had pleasant experiences with our staff. We strive to offer all of our guests a wonderful stay during their time with us.

I hope that you will give us another try next time your travels bring you through Anchorage.

Steve R.
Director of Sales and Marketing
907.265.7128

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights before traveling on to Seward for our cruise. The hotel is in a perfect location. Just a short walk to the train station and downtown restaurants etc...
Briana, at the front desk was very friendly and professional and had us to our room in no time. We had a room in the tower and it was perfect! We could see the ocean and the mountains, we loved it! Kudos the the Hotel, I left behind some very expensive watches and they mailed them home for me. When we arrived home they were there waiting. A BIG Thank You to Celia and Holly for finding and returning these watches to me.

Room Tip: Get a room in the East facing Tower. We thought it was excellent.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lars_92705
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at this downtown Anchorage hotel. On the surface it looks like any other Hilton. Big, tall and open lobby indicating a standard Hilton treatment--you take what you get. Till you interact with the staff. Regina, the front office supervisor is simply outstanding in providing customized, friendly and caring service. She went out of her away to leave no stoned unturned to address our needs. Although at the end of all her efforts our needs could not be addressed, we were most satisfied with her authentic efforts. Brian, the bell captain was also wonderful. Ensuring that our vehicle was ready when we wanted and stored for easy access. Amazing service. While Regina and Brian were simply excellent, almost all the staff we interacted exhibited strong service values. A pleasure to stay here, and we will return soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Room was the size of a postage stamp, smaller than a Motel 6 in the lower 48. Cold water faucet was broken and leaking, so box of facial tissue on the sink was wet. No suitcase rack, only one bedside table and lamp. Hair dryer was missing and it took 45 minutes to get one to the room. We arrived with a small group (6 couples) and it took 35 minutes to get the luggage to our room. We asked at the front desk if our room was typical and got a shrug in response. The only thing it has going for it is a convenient location.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David A
David,

I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our hotel. I apologize that your room assignment did not meet your expectations as comfort and safety is my highest priority for our guests. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in more detail about your experience so that we can make sure we have fixed any issues that you experienced. I have passed your comments regarding the sink and luggage delivery on to our engineering and bell stand so that they can look into and fix these issues for future guests. I I invite you to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Steve R.
Director of Sales and Marketing
Alaska
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the hilton the beginning of March. I payed for the reservation online and settled my bill when checking out after my two night stay. It's now the end of June and The Hilton has charged my credit card again, three months later, for the stay without my authorization. Our stay was nice even though it's outdated, but the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Akfamily5
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

When you stay in hotels you sometimes allow for the odd blemish in service and appearance. Chain hotels can vary but most of the Hiltons I have stayed in have been good to high standard. This one must be one of the worst. I know most of the things that I list below may seem minor but when they happen during a four day period they quickly add up.
Our stay covered two periods one of three nights and an overnight stop over after touring Alaska.
The hotel looks like it could do with a make over. The rooms we stayed in were clean but a lick of paint would not go amiss.
The windows hadn't been cleaned for months and both rooms had birds muck on the windows.
In one bathroom the light switch was hanging off the wall. In the same bathroom the toilet flush was so powerful it came over the bowl.
Room service was poor we had to request face cloths on one day and hand towels on another.
In one of our rooms the main light did not work and it took three requests to get this fixed.
The carpet in one room was rucked up.
The hotel needs double glazing even on the 10th floor you can hear the traffic noise as well as the Alaska Rail Road which runs all night.
The reception area was badly covered with only one person working some of the time even when queues were forming.
On our second visit we were given keys to a room that already appeared to be occupied.
I know we were not the only ones who found the service poor I witnessed at least three other guests complaining about their rooms and the service received.
If I visit Anchorage again the Hilton will not get my business.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple