“Average Hilton, Could use makeover”
Review of Hilton Anchorage

Hilton Anchorage
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 10 August 2010

This Hilton property is average. No frills or thrills at all. Rooms could use a total makeover/update. Carpet in room soiled.- Actually quite dirty. Room could use dusting as well. This is my first time in Anchorage, so I have no other Anchorage hotels to compare to, but based on other reviews which indicated that this Hilton hotel was better than average, I can't imagine what other hotels in downton Hilton look like. Would only suggest you stay if you get an awesome deal.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton Anchorage

Reviewed 5 August 2010

We checked into the Hilton in the early morning after arriving from the airport. the room was nice and the breakfast was awesome! Close to the train station as well, we'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vacationmlc
Reviewed 29 July 2010

The bell staff is attentive, friendly and very welcoming. The lobby is large but cozy and has a starbucks, gift shop and gallery. Check-in was a breeze thanks to the cheerful efficient staff.
Our room was in the west tower, It was very clean, especially the bathroom. From the window we could see the flights taking off from the air base, Amtrack coming and going from the rail station, the ulu factory, and the tides in the bay! As hilton honors members we has access to the concierge lounge which is open m-f for breakfast which is continental with the addition of hard boiled eggs and a meat platter. In the evening they have platters of veggies, fruits, cheese and crackers. None alcoholic beverages are free and cocktails for purchase, the staff that work the lounge are again cheerful and helpful. We had a problem with the sink in the bathroom which they fixed immediately to our surprise and gave us a credit to the restaurant along with a hand written apology for our inconvenience. The location is fantastic as the entire downtown if within walking distance. The week-end market is kitty corner from the hotel and has a great selection of alaskan trinkets for less than the gifts shops. We travel a lot and the staff at this hotel are world class.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2010

All the benefits of a big chain hotel PLUS the warmth, friendliness, and top notch service you'd expect from a small local inn. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, and the staff is the friendliest I've ever experienced at a big chain hotel. Great fitness center. The little restaurant off the lobby has good food at reasonable rates. For a fabulous view of the surrounding area go upstairs to floor 15 of the West Tower to the fine dining restaurant there. I didn't eat there but I heard others say it was good. And talk about convenient! From here you can walk anywhere downtown easily or jump on any of the main roads for a road trip to Seward, Denali, or up the Glenn Scenic Highway. Oh... if you do be aware that going through the tunnel to Whittier is a $12 toll. OK - back to the Hilton... let me just say it's excellent. We went for business but will return for leisure! By the way... it pays to be an Honors Member with the Hilton. I'm not big on joining the hotel clubs, but this one makes it worth while. Kudos to Kennie the front desk manager, Daniel, and Mo and the rest of the warm and helpful staff!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank AlohaArleen
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Non-descript, but decent property. You wouldn’t know you were in Anchorage except for the stuffed bears in the lobby. Room was on the small side, but was clean and everything worked. Staff were helpful and professional. Did not encounter any of the various problems noted in other reviews. Great location in downtown Anchorage; short walk to the train station, close to the open air market; easy walk to the few attractions in downtown. Breakfast buffet was better in selection and quality than the usual Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We stayed at this Hilton using my Hilton Points from July 2nd through July 4th. Considering the mixed bag of reviews we didn't know what to expect. All I have to say is that whoever rated this hotel poorly must have really stayed somewhere else.
We were coming off a cruise and we had many bags, when we pulled up in the car we were greeted by the bellman who instantly took all our luggage. We entered the nicely appointed lobby and went to the front desk. Kelly greeted us with a warm smile and treated both of us like we were old friends. If the Hilton folks actually read these they should know that they have an excellent representative in her. She noted my Gold status and provided us with a room on the 20th floor. She also told us that the executive lounge is closed on the weekends but made up for it by providing us with free breakfast buffets in their lounge for both days. We had asked her about some of the local nightlife and she immediately provided us with a map and lots of great answers as to where things were and what was best in the area. We were very impressed with this experience.
We went up to the 20th floor room, tipped the bellman and settled in. The room was set up well with a king bed in the center of the room, a nice granite topped table to do work at and a chest of drawers with a regular tube TV on the top of it. The bathroom was in good repair although you could see some paint that was off color because of a patch job, but it was fine. The bed was comfy to sleep in and while the TV was a bit fuzzy on some channels there was plenty of entertainment. My one downside to the amenities in the hotel was that I could not get the wireless internet to work. I called down to the front desk and got Kelly again. She routed me to tech support that tried to help me, but we were only able to get the wired access to work (was fine by me). The next day I get a call in the room and its Kelly again asking me if the internet access issue was solved, I was very happy that she cared enough about our stay to follow up on my problem.
The Hilton seems to be right in the middle of downtown. There is a local airport nearby and it was interesting watching the small private airplanes buzz around the Hilton (literally) to land. There is a local bar nearby called the woodshed and this is the other downside I had because the party goes on there into the night and you can hear it even on the 20th floor, but it was not loud enough to make me lose sleep. Plus this is not the Hilton's fault. If you are in town for the weekend there is a Saturday Market that takes place right across the street from the hotel. Don't miss it if you are looking for some goodies to take back for your friends or are looking for some good coffee or some good food with local flair.
The breakfast buffet the Hilton puts on is similar to others I've had in international locations. Lots of fresh fruit and breads, cereals, pastries and enough eggs, omelets and potatoes to make you stuffed to the point you don't need lunch. The staff in the breakfast areas were also very friendly and did an excellent job bringing drinks and clearing plates.
We also had the opportunity to sample the Bruin's restaurant/bar attached to the hotel. Once again excellent service on the part of Jessica and Lindsay made the difference. When my soda tasted sour Jessica went all the way to the other side of the hotel to try a different fountain - that's great service. The food was good. The nachos appetizer is the best I've had in a long time although the meat in the burger tasted a bit unusual. My wife sampled several drinks from the bar and all exceeded her expectations. Overall we had a good time in the restaurant.
This is a great hotel and you should have no issues booking into this Hilton. We really enjoyed our stay and it’s the people that make the difference.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I just stayed at the Hilton in Anchorage, the end of June. The Staff was very accomodating. I spent one night, checked out for one night for a trip to Fairbanks. I requested the same room upon my return and spent another 4 nights. While that room was unavailable due to routine maintenance, I got the same room only the floor above, giving me a much better view of the Cook Inlet, Knik Arm. The Bell Men were always eager to assist guests in anyway. They gave us good advice on where to eat, what to see, etc. The Staff was quite helpful and friendly also. The room was always clean, beds made early in the mornings. All itmes in the rooms, lamps, TV, etc were all in working order. Food at the Cafe that is open for breakfast and lunch only was good. I had the Blueberry Pancakes that were wonderful. Coffee, Latte's and Tea were also available. The 3 or 4 Latte's I had were better than some I've had at a notable Chain coffee purveyor. Drinks and appetizers in the bar were equally as good. All in all, this is definitely a place I would stay again and recommend. The only fault I can find is no shuttle service. You must take a cab to & from the airport.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business