“Great Halibut Fish n' chips!”
Review of F Street Station

F Street Station
Ranked #5 of 889 Restaurants in Anchorage
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 22 June 2014

If you're looking for a very casual place with no frills, where the locals hang out and great seafood- then go and try this place out! I was a bit put off by the abruptness of the wait staff as I got moved from a table to the bar counter since I was alone- they save the tables for couples or groups- which I understand now- it's small & packed! The food I ordered was great! The Halibut melted in my mouth- wow! And, sitting at the bar counter turned out to be fun, as I got to watch and talk with the cooks as they prepared the food. The cooks are super friendly!

1  Thank pjmorrett

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This said to be the oldest bar in downtown Anchorage (ca 1944). It's certainly very popular. We don't drink alcohol, but I'd read where their food is good. We weren't disappoint (well, maybe a little because the fish was frozen, not fresh) in the taste of the food and the large portions. We each had the grilled halibut sandwich with trimmings which comes with fries ($13.99 each - no tax in Anchorage - yay!). The food was hot and tasty. I really loved the fries because they were the dark, well-done variety and were so good. The halibut was tender and tasty and the bun very good as well.

There are actually two bars in this establishment - don't ask me why - but, as I said, the place is very popular. It was a well-behaved crowd though and we enjoyed eating there. Seating is not overly-plentiful so if you want to go for dinner, I suggest you don't wait too late. We eat early, so only had to wait a few minutes for a table to become available. The waitress was very nice.

1  Thank JoyfulWriter
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was amazed by the kitchen staff turning out halibut burgers, fried oysters, salmon dip, in a tiny space behind the counter. The bar on the other side of the room looks like a comfortable Cheers type atmosphere. Good fun. Casual vibe.

1  Thank Jend420
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Trying to get a meal in Anchorage after 10 p.m. is not easy, so I was happy to be directed to the F Street Station on my first night in the city, where I was told they served food until one in the morning (which they do).

This is a very lively place where mainly locals, and the odd tourist or two, hang out. Most people come here to drink but they have a pretty good basic menu if you're feeling peckish. I had the deep-fried halibut with home-cut French fries - delicious! - washed down with a couple of glasses of the local amber ale (served up in jam jars, no less).

I really liked this place, and I took some work colleagues there on a different night to show them what a lively bar with good food looked like. One word of caution: Don't come here looking for peace and quiet; this place is really loud!

2  Thank OilRover
Reviewed 18 June 2014

After a successful wait for a table (small place) we struck gold and got a nice cafe style table in the front window (three of us). We were quickly served and the meal arrived post haste. The food was excellent! The place is noisy mixed with quite a few local rookie drinkers but it can certainly be overlooked by the speed, service and great (reasonably priced) meal.

3  Thank Texaque