“Disappointment”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Anchorage, Alaska
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

My boyfriend and I book a hotel room about once or twice every month or so just to escape the ordinary. We almost always choose the Crowne Plaza because of the convenient location and we love the rooms. But unfortunately our last stay has made us consider finding a new hotel. Last time we tried to book a room my boyfriend (who is a priority club member) went in to book it and a front desk woman named Larissa rudely informed him that there was no rooms available for us. But when I went in not more then an hour or two later I had no problem booking a room, and when I asked the woman at the front desk if they were busy that night she stated that they had many rooms available! We might decide to give it another chance, but i was very disgusted by this service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AMH907
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
AMH907,

Ben J
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I am currently staying at this hotel at the time of this review and have regularly use this Crowne Plaza through out the year. I am basing this review on past experience which has been excellent. However the changes that have been made since my last visit have made my experience far less then what I expect from the Crowne Plaza standard. Previously I paid significantly less for a room ($129) then I am now ($169), despite it being the "off" season. Previously I was given breakfast vouchers for the restaurant downstairs (Priority Club membership required). Now breakfast is served in the Executive lounge on the 6th floor. The food selection is minimal at best. Before you had an expansive selection of food and drinks and now you basically have a continental breakfast with eggs and sausage. To add to that I went to the Executive lounge for the "PM meal" and what I was horrified to find was the eggs and bacon from this morning placed inside a tart and served as "dinner" along with cheese and crackers. You can still get beer and drinks, but when you pay this much for a room per night and you are a Priority club member who is given access to the Executive level, you come to expect much more. I suppose if I had never experienced the outstanding service and benefits of Crowne Plaza in the past I may think this was normal, but I know what it means to enjoy a stay at the Crowne Plaza and this particular hotel has gone well below what I expect from the Crowne Plaza family. The rooms are the same excellent rooms and all the hotel staff I have come into contact with have been very nice so I will not give the terrible rating. I will however most likely be staying else where the next time I am in town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TimOhlson
johnwewing, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Mr. Ohlson's comments are much appreciated! Crowne Plaza Anchorage - Midtown did previously provide our full brekafast buffet in JUNO Restaurant to our Priority Club members and no longer does. Due to the seasonality of the Anchorage hotel market, the breakfast buffet is currently closed for the winter. The Club Lounge breakfast is expanded beyond Crowne Plaza standards, but is not the full bufffet breakfast previously served in JUNO.
In addition we are participating in a pilot program for Intercontinental Hotels/Crowne Plaza to test a "Local Extras" program. This program provides our Priority Club members with the choice of a welcome snack or bonus points at arrival and requires us to suspend any extras that we were previosuly providing to our guests. Intercontinental Hotels is attempting to develop a consistent Extras offering that can be expected at all of our hotels worldwide, as opposed to each independent hotel offering various and inconsistent programs. Mr. Ohlson's feedback is exactly what is needed to assist us in offering what our guests want and appreciate. I will pass on his comments to the program administrators for review.
Additionally we truly appreciate the kind words about our hotel itself and the staff!
Kenai, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We have been staying at this lovely hotel once a month for the last year with wonderful service and great prices. The hotel staff is always pleasant, helpful and ready to please. We have never had any complaints with any employees or the hotel itself. I would recommend this hotel to any family or if you are just staying by yourself. Also, good food, good drinks, good service, open late in the evening if you are arriving from a late check in. Be prepared to have a great night sleep with a great breakfast in the morning. Enjoy your stay whether there for business or pleasure. Oh yeah, if this is your first visit to Alaska enjoy our great state.

Room Tip: I have stayed in several rooms on all the different floors, never had any problem with any room, the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
johnwewing, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you for your kind review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you agian in the future! Safe travels!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

My stay at the Crowne Plaza was very pleasant. I flew from Seattle on a business trip and wanted to stay somewhere other than a hole-in-the-wall motel. After viewing pictures on the Crowne Plaza's website I thought I'd give it a try. To my delight I was not disappointed. Nicely constructed building, great taste in decorations, upper-end hotel, clean room, great and prompt staff/service, and their choice for mattresses top-notch. If quality of sleep is something of value to you I would book with Crowne Plaza. I can't stress enough on how well my sleep was. Their mattresses almost felt like my Posturepedic at home. Not too soft and not too firm. Just right as I woke up ready to take on the day. This coming spring is my next scheduled business trip into Anchorage and Crowne Plaza is where I'll be returning!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank randoll g
johnwewing, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
randoll g... thank you and we look forward to your return in the spring!
alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Got this room through Hotwire. My room was on top 6th floor with 2 double beds. You have to use your key card to operate the elevator to the top floor. Room was very clean and house keeping was very prompt. There was a nice LG flat screen tv with many channels. A very small refrig, microwave, and one cup coffee maker. Free wifi and 2 free computers with printers (I used this to checkin for my flight and print a coupon) located in the lobby. They have shuttle service, to the airport, but is shared with 2 other hotels. I rented a car and did not use shuttle. You pretty much need a car in Anchorage.
Only 2 things that I found not excellent:
1. Water pressure in shower is so bad. But, you are in the shower for only minutes.
2. Controlling the heat in the room. The heating unit is one of those combo deals that is a heater and air conditioner. It was so noisy. I was talking to my husband, on the phone, and he asked, "what is that noise?" And, I was sitting in the bed farthest away from heater.
All in all, those 2 things would not stop me from staying here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ak747gal
ak747gal, thank you! We are in the process of addressing the water pressure issue on or top floors. Design flaw, but a solution is in the works! My maintenance team has inspected all HVAC units and repaired any noisy fans, an ongoing process to say the least! So sorry for any disturbance this caused you! We hope to see you again soon!
San Jose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

The hotel where I had a previous reservation was overbooked so I was escorted to the Crown Plaza. Despite being pretty bummed about the situation, I was immediately put in a better mood by the professional and courteous staff who were able to accomodate me. Thanks to Young, the clean and spacious rooms and great breakfast, I had a wonderful stay. Next time I visit this is where I will be staying.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Lynn B
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Used Priceline to get this room in August 2011. They gave us two beds. The room had a microwave and refrigerator which was very nice.

Not a great room. Parking a little crowded. I would stay here again. Pretty straight shot from Airport.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends