“Simple things, done really well” 5 of 5 bubbles

Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntsville, Alabama
“Simple things, done really well”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Mostly, I travel for business. I'm looking for a clean, comfortable room, with reasonably good customer service (for those times when I NEED some help), and as little drama about the stay as possible. CP-ANC met all of those requirements very nicely. Yes, there was a baby who woke up in the middle of the night. After 3 kids, I know they don't keep a schedule. But overall I thought this house was very well done.

Room Tip: The rooms with king beds are at the end of the corridor, right by the elevators. Get back behind C...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BBGAMX
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for your business and thank you for the 5 Star Review on TripAdvisor! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

This staple property is conveniently located to the International Airport in Anchorage, Alaska. It is clean and up to date and located near many restaurants. While you can use a shuttle, , a car in Anchorage is a must especially when you want to visit the top Tripadvisor ranked restaurants in the City such as Moose Tooth and Snow City. Both of these are truly worth the visit . Anchorage is truly a nice city but as you travel between the snow capped mountains along Price Willliam Sound, you truly understand that this is God's country. Also, there is a wonderful wildlife preserve with bison, musk ox, bear, moose, lynx, and even a bald eagle all in the wild. This preserve is located about 25 minutes away.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fred B
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Crowne Plaza Anchorage Mid-town, I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. I agree the Wildlife Preserve is a great day trip from Anchorage.
We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again sometime soon.
Englewood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night only during a week-long trip in Alaska. The location is not bad--it is pretty centrally located but not very close to downtown--closer to the airport. The hotel room was very nicely furnished, it was upscale and comfortable. The beds were excellent--comfy and cozy. We had complimentary breakfasts at the hotel restaurant, which was buffet style--but you could also order eggs if you wanted them something other than scrambled. The breakfast was fine, lots of choices! I would recommend this hotel whole-heartedly...it was clean, very nicely furnished, quiet and upscale.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank velvetwild
Thank you so much for the 5 Star review! We appreciate your "Whole Hearted Recommendation" and look forward to your next visit to Anchorage.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I am a frequent business traveler and come to Anchorage once a month for a week. I normally stay at the Embassy Suites where I am a Diamond member (which I would recommend a thousand times more than this place). Many of my colleagues frequently travel to Alaska as well, and so we recently decided to negotiate a group rate. Unfortunately we decided on this place, worst decision ever.

Upon checking in I was told that I couldn't use my MasterCard debit card - which is my business card - because it was from a local credit union (BECU in Seattle if you're wondering). Mind you I have used this card all over the country and even internationally. I even tried to use this same card in their restaurant Juno for a $30 tab and it was also denied, the next night at Orso this card had no problem picking up a $500 tab while entertaining clients so explain that to me.

Anyway I explain that I also have a company Visa card, but it was maxed out since I just returned from a business trip to China, but that my company could transfer more money but it obviously doesn't happen instantaneously. The snotty front desk person Rose treated me like a criminal. Being there on a group business rate with several other people in my party also staying there, I would have at least expected a little better treatment. My company is closed on the weekend so I knew it would be Monday before I could get the cash transferred and told them I would come in then with the card. Meanwhile I gave them a personal card which didn't have the full amount for a week stay but was enough to get my through.

Fast forward to Monday at 7 am. I am sitting at breakfast with a client when my personal cell phone rings. I pick it up to be told that they have charged my card for everything they could, I am kicked out, and I have until noon to come get my things. I explain I'm already at work so can I just give them the credit card over the phone so I can stay my full stay (3 more nights)? Told no. Ok so I will come in right after work with the card, but nope... I am told they will press charges (!) against me if I don't vacate before noon.

So I embarrassingly had to take my client into the hotel with me to give them the credit card. Rose was extremely rude yet again, including to my client!!!, but now with a valid card on file I am thinking everything is fine and let it go and leave. Only to discover they have still charged my personal card $500 (not just tested or a hold but actually charged) even though you aren't supposed to be charged until you check out. I am beyond mad because that is my personal money I will never be reimbursed by my company for.

Left a voicemail with accounting who never returned my call.

Asked to speak to the manager - Tammy Griffen - and was told she only works 10am to 5:30pm which is when I'm at work.

This was a nightmare and reading reviews on this site and others, I'm not the first person to have billing issues. But beyond that, the customer service I received top to bottom from the front desk staff was appalling. They have lost not only my frequent business but everyone else in my group rate as well.

The Embassy Suites is cleaner, in a better part of town (this hotel is right next to a trashy strip club and nothing else), better amenities, and by far superior customer service, with comparable rates.

Someone also threw up right in front of the elevator on a rug, and instead of cleaning the chunky, pea green mess or simply removing the rug, they just put a cone in front of it. Disgusting. I would only recommend this place to someone if I hate them.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else!!!

I'm sure Tammy will be quick to respond to this post with a bunch of [--], but where was she to talk to me in person, or even a phone call.

Poor excuse for customer service!!!

• Stayed October 2013
8 Thank Johnson124
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
I was distraught to read your review and I deeply apologize for your experience. In order to process a guest hotel stay, we do have to authorize a credit or debit card. This is common practice at hotels and protects the property from financial loss. That being said, I regret that we handled the situation in such a poor fashion. Our Guest Service Manager approved your check-in after both of your cards declined and we allowed several days -Thursday to Monday so that you could clear up the payment requirement.

I would like the chance to discuss your stay at your earliest convenience in the hopes we can make things right. #907-433-4101, I also left you a voice mail with my cell phone number.
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for only one night after our cruise from Vancouver. Arriving late evening and the staff was very accommodative and friendly. The room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The buffet breakfast was great, and this is the first time I had reindeer sausage and it is very delicious. The location of the hotel is great as it is 10 min away from airport (with free shuttle bus from the hotel) and 15-20 minute away from town centre. A lovely hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ongtyj
TMGAlaska, Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your short stay at the Crowne a Plaza. Glad you enjoyed the Reindeer Sausage, it is a favorite!
Thank you for the awesome review. Hope to see you again sometime soon...
rwoman11
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Used the CP Anchorage Midtown for a two night stay.

Check In:
I contacted the property in advance as my sister was arriving far earlier than my 1230am arrival. The property had no problem allowing her to check in and get settled.

Room:
We had a 2x double bed room. Flat screen TV, refrigerator, coffee/tea service, desk/chair, and good temperature control.

Plenty of towels in the bathroom along with toiletry items (bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion). The hairdryer was so-so - I commented to my sister that it looked like it should be better than it was.

Wifi: Free wifi worked pretty well.

Parking: Onsite parking is free.

IHG Platinum Benefits:
Free breakfast buffet for my sister and I was provided for the duration of our stay. The buffet had a good variety of items. Hot items: eggs, bacon/sausage, and potatoes. Cold items: yogurt, milk, juice, fruit. Other items: cereal, baked goods, toast.

Overall impression:
Given the location, room comfort, and great staff, I'd definitely stay at this property again.

I slept GREAT the first night. However, the second night was hit or miss due to some really loud neighbors that kept waking us up. I was so out of it (9 hour time difference/jet lag) that I did not call downstairs. As I departed earlier than my sister (330am), the desk clerk promised to deal with the problem since my sister wanted to get a few hours sleep before her departure.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside of the hotel fact another hotel property vice the road.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rwoman11
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you for the detailed Trip Advisor review, we appreciate you taking the time to provide valuable information to other travelers. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We came into town for business and pleasure over the weekend. The first morning I was told the boiler was broken and no hot water; ok things happen. Off to the Alaska Club and $8 later I got a shower. We came back that evening and again, no hot water. We let it run for 15 minutes. Called the front desk and their "engineer" came to the room and sat in our bathroom for 10 minutes with his hand under the water. He turned to me, rude and condescension filled saying with a smirk on his face, "What do you mean, there is hot water." The same thing the next morning; We let it run for 30 minutes. I called and Rose at the front desk told me they were working on it. 30 minutes later the same "engineer" came and in a consistant condescending tone said the same thing after setting for 5 minutes with his hand in out sink. HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR HOT WATER??? Apparently at least 30 to 40 minutes. We have too many things to do to take the time and switch rooms, let alone hotels. So my question is this; after two mornings without hot water to start our day, will they make it up with customer service? Stay tuned.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank MclewAlaska
TMGAlaska, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Anchorage-Midtown, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
I am so terribly sorry for your inconvenience, the problem as you listed in your comments were not consistent and difficult to diagnose. The hot water challenge has been repaired and I would certainly like the opportunity to make this up to you. I assure you that I will be following up on your comments regarding our staff. Again I apologize for your negative experience and we look forward to renewing your faith in our product and service.