“My Great Uncle Oscar”

Oscar Anderson House Museum
Ranked #83 of 224 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Owner description: A house museum that once belonged to a Swedish butcher.
Torrington, Wyoming
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“My Great Uncle Oscar”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Oscar Anderson was married to my great Aunt Liz, she was my Grand father's sister. She was a Finlander. I spent many weekends in this house from 1965 to 1970. My Grandmother who was a sister in law to Liz helped take care of Oscar when he was getting up in years.

Visited December 2012
7 Thank Judi F

Geyserville, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Just good old fashioned history!!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is docent led, and exists of only the house, but that is what should get you there!
It told us of the history of Anchorage and the people along with how women delt with the living conditions.
We also went with an anchorage local who had never been there, she learned a lot as well.
A must do!

Visited July 2013
4 Thank theWineMaven
Anchorage, Alaska
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Outstanding Tour”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Really enjoyed the museum with an excellent guide. I learned so much about my own town of Anchorage and Alaskan history. She explained about the early days and how the railroad established Anchorage. They have outstanding photos and visuals for explaination. It reminded me of going to Grandma's house. There was so much to take in that I will probably do it again! I had driven past it for years and had no idea who Oscar Anderson was or that it was a museum.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Karen P
Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“detour worth my while”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I was walking on the coastal trail and had seen the house so many times and finally decided to go inside and look. the ladies there were really nice and informative. I had no idea about anything from my hometown's founding days and I got quite the earful of information. I might go back for their Christmas thing. Well worth the admission price as your donation helps keep the place going.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Percy G
Eagle River, Alaska
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“oscar andersen is a distant relative of my Aunt from Wyominb”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Very charming home. the area inside is small but well designed. The yard and view from the home are wonderful.

Visited July 2012