“Wonderful introduction to Alaska - bring camera”

Tony Knowles Coastal Trail
Book In Advance
More Info
US$199.00*
and up
Anchorage Bike and Brewery Tour
Ranked #2 of 223 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular biking trail along the coast.
Rhode Island
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Wonderful introduction to Alaska - bring camera”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We got to Anchorage and checked into our hotel. Our friends were on a later flight, so we decided to take a walk. We were told to go to the trail and we are we did. It is an easy walk and the tide was out, so we could see the mud flats. According to the tide table, there is a 38' difference in tides. The bay is shoal so the mud flats go on for a long way.

The path is a paved one, and mostly, I would think, a bike path.

The people along the way are very friendly and seemed to want to talk to visitors and exchange stories, a very pleasant way to meet locals.

The views are fantastic. I only had one lens with me, and that is a regret. I could have taken more interesting photos.

Part of the trail is on the final approach to the seaplane landing area. They tell me that, on average, 800 seaplanes land here a day. This is a easy to believe but we were there on a nice Sunday and there was a line up of these planes. For me (I fly) it was an amazing sight.

If I were going to do it again, I would bring more lenses and rent a bike. I would also bring repellent with DEET.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Huntsville, Alabama
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great for a sunrise run”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

While in Anchorage in May 2014, I got up early to run the trail. It was very scenic, well maintained and I never felt unsafe as there were lots of other runners. It was a beautiful way to start the day! I wish I had had time to bike it also. There are several bike rental places close to the trail. It runs 11 miles along the coast and I have heard that a lot of people see moose. No moose for me, maybe next time. If I ever get back to Anchorage, running the trail will be the first thing that I do!

Visited May 2014
Tennessee
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great way to see some back country of Anchorage. Rent a bike though. If you walk it, you'll possibly leave with a lot less blood than you started with. Even biking, the darn mosquitos were chasing my lovely, succulent blood. But still the trail is very cool. So, get the bikes and hit it. It'll only take a few hours and the sights are well worth it. Make it down to Earthquake Park.

Visited August 2013
Dayton, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice escape”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I'm a hiker and need to walk. After a fantastic cruise with my mom I was feeling the itch to ramble. The coastal trail is a great view of anchorage nature and people. Easy to take two to six hours

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Katrina A
Vancouver, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tony Knowles Coastal Trail - scenic views in the city”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I visited Anchorage in May 2014 and while staying at the Anchorage Grand Hotel I had the opportunity to walk part of the Tony Knowles trail during my stay - very convenient from the hotel. It is a nice scenic trail and I saw a few birds during my walk - no moose - too bad, but it is interesting nonetheless and a nice enjoyable walk.

Visited May 2014