“A Must See when in Anchorage”

Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
Ranked #9 of 229 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Alaska's largest museum focusing on art, history, science and culture of Alaska.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is an excellent museum & gallery. The art gallery is excellent and has works by various local artists - don't miss the paintings by Sydney Laurence of the Mount McKinley area. The museum itself has many displays about the history of this huge State. Don't forget to look at the information about where and when the most recent earth quakes happened.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,126)
All reviews
"well worth the visit"
"northern lights"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We only had a few hours, and did not get to see everything we would have liked, but we truly enjoyed the exhibits we viewed, and were wowed by the Earthquake exhibit.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I visited this museum on my first trip to Alaska and made sure I had time to visit again when I returned. The exhibits that take you from the first people to arrive through Russian and then American settlements up to the present time are absolutely fascinating and educational. There is something for everyone in that you can learn about how people cooked, what their houses were like, the political issues, their religious traditions. The exhibits on the various native peoples that still live in Alaska today are top notch. I liked the fact you had a choice of a restaurant (with nice selections judging by the menu) and a small shop where you could buy coffee and a variety of light snacks, fruit and small meals. The gift shop is first rate. I enjoyed being able to view art by Alaskan artists even if I couldn't afford any of it.

2  Thank Marianneza
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My 3 year old son and I went to the museum primarily for the children's exhibits! HE LOVED IT even though it was really busy.

There are special times that have discounts for special purposes (like Bank of America members) so check the website. But if time and experience are more valuable to you than discounts, than go on a weekday when it is less busy!! I feel like it was too busy at the time we went.

The exhibits are wonderful and very hands-on science. I think all children would really enjoy it! Specific science of Alaska and then more physics science and a small children's area with a slide and water play area.