“Great hotel if not for disappointing company policy”

SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake
Ranked #8 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We liked everything physical in this hotel - the room, the design, the layout, etc. It's a little way from downtown but a very nice place to call home when away from home. However, we were not happy with a few of the human aspect of this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank visitortraveler

Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed at the SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake for 2 nights in July 2011 and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a great value for hotel in Anchorage (which is pretty pricey during the summer tourist season). They have a AAA rate which we booked and it was very reasonable.

The location of the hotel may not be in downtown but the free shuttle bus goes everywhere, including midtown, downtown etc.(with advance reservation). We took it from the airport on our night of arrival so that we did not have to rent a car until the next morning (since we arrived really late anyway) and saved at least 1 day of car rental. Then the next morning we just took the shuttle to the airport to pick up the rental car.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the bag of chocolate covered raisins that the hotel staff gave us upon check in as a Marriott Rewards member. That 8 oz bag of chocolate covered raisins lasted us the entire trip in Alaska and accompanied us to many hikes!

This hotel is contemporary in design (which I like) and the free breakfast is more than sufficient. I am glad I followed the tripadvisor advise and booked this place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jls3721
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights with my young nieces. The lobby, hotel rooms and bathrooms really are very sharp; nicely decorated, brand new and very clean. I love a nice hotel bathroom!!! One room with a small couch was the perfect size for us. The pool and jacuzzi were nice but a bit crowded for my taste. Breakfast was fine. I would definitely stay here again. The hotel is right near a dog park and small lake so it was fun for us to walk over there. I also like that it isn't in downtown but rather a pretty area near the universities. Staff were friendly and comped us a movie since we had an issue with noise one of the nights!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 3 July 2011

This was the nicest Springhill Suites I have ever stayed at. It sits on a lake and has wonderful amenities. The staff is just wonderful--service is great. The breakfast buffet is plentiful and varied. The hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the airport or downtown or just about anywhere in Anchorage--24/7. The rooms are modern and comfortable.

It is hidden because it is off the beaten path--but it will be the only place we stay on our next trip to Anchorage.

Room Tip: Call ahead and let the staff know your needs
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Stayed here for one on points in between Homer and Talkeetna. Room was very large with plenty of space for three of us. It was quiet and one of the darker rooms we had on the trip for sleeping. Laundry facilities came in handy. Internet was very fast. Breakfast was well above average with blueberry and plain waffles, eggs, and much more. We ordered in pizza so can't talk about local restaurants, but I didn't see much. It is out of the way if you plan on visiting down town.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Richbutnot
Reviewed 15 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here at the end of our first Alaskan cruise. I picked it from website with no knowledge of Anchorage and we had some difficulty finding the hotel. However, when we did, we were very impressed with the setting. There is a beautiful lake behind the hotel with mountains in the background, The room was great and afforded a great view - very comfortable, clean and well maintained accommodations. Perhaps not the most convenient location, but well worth seeking out.

Room Tip: Watch for steeet names behind other street signs.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mforkner
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The outside of this hotel is not much to look at, but they've done such a nice job on the interior, from the entry kiosk and lounge to the rooms.

Rooms: spacious, sort of eco-Euro-design. It seemed very Scandinavian. Everything was pale turquoise, pale spring green, beige and white with a few warm hints here and there. I had a whole little couch/lounge and study area, not to mention a microwave and refrigerator. Lovely original prints on the walls. Bed area was separated by a screen and was simple, lovely clean white linens, restful with a view of the lake and the amazing mountains. Nice little wardrobe and tv stand. Two bathrooms with sliding doors--one a WC with a little sink, the other the shower room with a huge sink and a cool makeup mirror that it back-lit. I could have stayed here for weeks.

The front desk staff was very sweet and helpful. The shuttle service is a really handy amenity since this is a rather remote location from all eateries and shopping. They will take you all over town if you give them enough notice. The remote location makes this a very restful and quiet place to stay--I slept very well. It is convenient to the Alaska Native Medical Center, Providence Health Care, and UAA (walking distance) if you have business there. The breakfast buffet is great and has a lot of variety--cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, bread, fruit, sausage, eggs, etc. Lobby is really stylish and a fun place to have breakfast while looking at the mountains. There is an outdoor sitting area with a fire-pit that is really nice, too.

Oh, yeah, and if you like to run and it is summer--you have access to the trail around the lake, which is also a dog park, the ski trails in the woods behind the University, the Campbell Creek trail, which is near by, and the Chester Creek trail, which is also relatively nearby. I saw several moose and beaver while out there.

Here are the cons: There are huge gaps under the doors, so you can really hear people walking down the hallway talking. They all went to bed early, so no problem for me, but could be bad if they stayed up late. The remote location makes it hard to get to food or shopping--the shuttle is good if you don't have a car, but it takes awhile to arrange. They don't have much healthy food in the little "market" next to the front desk--so you really have to come with food or go some distance from the hotel to get anything except for breakfast. ***The Alaska Native Medical Center just next door has a really good cafe in the hospital section--burritos, burgers, salad bar and a lot of very good and healthy food in a pleasant surrounding--so you could probably get a good and affordable meal there at least for lunch--I did twice!
Finally, I think it was expensive for all that fabulousness, but it was a business trip and my group paid for it, but I felt a little guilty.

Room Tip: Get a mountain view room if the weather is good.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business