“Nice little tucked away hotel”

SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Very clean and modern hotel. The nice little trail around the lake let us experience a little nature in the city, a little beaver building homes. It's by the University and the Hospital, so not convenient for downtown, but last trip we navigated the city bus from the airport and there were several buses that went from this area to downtown. They do offer a free shuttle to the airport but you need to reserve it ahead of time and it leaves on the hour. We didn't know this, so we ended up taking a cab, which was there in less than 5 minutes and cost around $22. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and had no noise issues at all. The light from outside was bothersome and...
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake

Reviewed 30 May 2013

A great choice if you have a rental car. The location can either be a real plus or negative depending on your needs. Although they offer a free van ride to/from the airport, it is about 20 minutes to the airport and the shuttle heading back to the airport leaves only hourly. If you have a rental car it is great to be adjacent to a small park with a lake and beautiful walking and biking trails. The location is in a quiet corporate park - no traffic noise! Excellent chance you'll see wildlife in the adjacent lake area and the view of the mountains reminds you you're in Alaska.

The hotel is the modern SpringHill Suites design with separate shower and toilet rooms. The free breakfast includes hot eggs, waffles, and all the continental offerrings. Efficient and friendly staff.

Tip - try to get a room facing the lake/mountains (sometimes they charge extra for those rooms).

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the lake/mountains (sometimes they charge extra for those rooms).
Reviewed 24 May 2013

If you are planning a stay in Anchorage and want a nice place to stay, this is it. First the cons - it can be loud because of the gap under the floor to the rooms. It isn't conveniently located to the downtown area. And that's pretty much all I can think of!

A lot of people there had rental cars. We did not. We only stayed one night and the next day had to go downtown to get our rental. The great thing about this place is that they have a shuttle! We asked if the shuttle could drop us off at the car rental and they did! I also have to mention that they picked us up at the airport too.

We loved the area that the hotel is located in. It is very peaceful and quiet and they have a big fire pit in the back.

The staff was very friendly. The room was very clean and everything was in good condition. The bed was nice and comfy. The TV worked. The WiFi was free and fast. What else could you ask for? Breakfast? Yes! They had eggs, sausage, some kind of egg casserole (which was very good), potatoes, a couple of waffle maker stations. You really couldn't ask for more. If we went back to Anchorage we would DEFINITELY stay here again!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We stayed here for meetings at the University of Alaska - Anchorage. The staff were excellent. We happened to be there for Mother's Day and at the continental breakfast they had these excellent pies. All the Mom's in our group (and Dad's too) really indulged. It was a nice touch. The rooms are spacious and the one we stayed in had a unique bathroom setup with sliding doors. We stayed in a room overlooking the lake out back which also has a nice walking path around it. As others have mentioned, while the rooms are generally quiet when no one is in the hallways, there is significant noise when people are out there talking.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside if you want a better view.
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We spent the night here before our cruise out of Seward and had a lovely stay. We were picked up at the airport after a 30 minute wait. Check in was quick and staff very friendly and helpful. Room was very modern and spacious. Small work/sitting area with a divider. Very clean and smelled fresh! The bed was very comfortable and we were reluctant to leave to start our cruise!

I was a tad hungary and went to the little convenience area to get a Campbell's microwave soup...$8.50! REALLY? Come on!

Loved the big fire pit out behind the hotel overlooking the frozen lake. Can't say enough about how clean the room was! Breakfast was they typical "free breakfast", but area was clean and it was well presented. (Why do adults come to a public dining area in their pajamas and BAREFOOTED!)

Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: First floor room with a lake view was great! Very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I checked in very late on a Monday for a very quick trip. Despite being midnight, there were still quite a few guests up and about. Despite the business, I found my room to be pretty quiet, spacious, and very comfortable. I loved the division between the living area and the bedroom, along with the separate shower from the toilet. I found the fit and finish to be a bit cheap in some areas and very high end in others. I know this is a newer hotel, so it is still in very good shape.
The bed was extremely comfortable. The only downside, was the gap under the door was enough to let a lot of light in from the hallway, not a huge deal after putting pillows to block it.
Breakfast was standard fare for hotel breakfasts.
On a side note,when I woke up the next morning, I looked out my window and saw the most spectacular view of the mountains and the lake.

Room Tip: lake-side is great scenery!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I have a few complaints about this hotel. Being here on business and having a tight schedule, I was depending on the continental breakfast being open on time. Instead, they were open 40 minutes late, causing me to miss breakfast. Another complaint is the noise. There is a significant gap under the door, causing lots of noise to filter into my room. This continued on into late evening (approx. 11:30). I asked the front desk about a room in a quieter area and was brushed off.
On the upside, the hotel is beautiful. The lake was still frozen over, but still allowed for a great view.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a quieter room at time of booking.
1  Thank Keely Rose S
NMS-Lodging, Director of Marketing at SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Hello -
I recently received a copy of your review and want to thank you for the feedback. Our goal is to provide great service and great rooms, but it sounds like we didn’t meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apology.

The breakfast buffet starts at 6:30am during the week. I’ve contacted the general manager of the property to find out why there was a delay that day, so that we can prevent it in the future. On occasion there is a bit of noise in the hotel depending on the mix of guests. We have a security guard/monitor on property, but it seems like the more daylight we have, some guests find it hard to wind down.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not satisfying. I don’t like to hear that a guest felt “brushed off” by a front desk associate, so we’ll be addressing that at once.

I hope that you will give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again.

Shelley