“Home Away From Home”

Ranked #38 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

If you are looking for spacious, extremely clean, well maintained apartment accommodation in the heart of downtown Anchorage then Duke's 8th Avenue Hotel is where you need to stay. I recently spent a month at Duke's 8th Avenue Hotel and felt that I was at home. Mike, the manager, is a wonderful person who took care of my stay from reservation to check out in a friendly and professional manner. I have no hesitation in recommending Duke's 8th Avenue Hotel to you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Rath68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 20 December 2011

My husband and I ventured in to Anchorage for our honeymoon in September with no real plans or accommodations in place. We heard from my Father that Dukes was the place to go, so we went to check it out.
Mike, the manager, was a wonderful person. He went well out of his way to make sure we were taken care of. We would check out in the morning under the assumption we would head out of Anchorage and stay then wind up coming back late in the evening. As fickle as we were Mike would, without hesitation or complaint, arrange things so that we had a room.
The rooms themselves were extremely comfortable and cozy with everything needed for a relaxing evening.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This hotel has quite a little scam going on with their "policies". I recently rented a room for 1 month. My daughter and her family recently moved to Anchorage and were staying in the hotel for the first couple of weeks until they found permanent housing. My husband and I were planning to stay during the final week of this month-long rental. I was charged a deposit of 50% at booking and the final 50% when my daughter checked in the hotel. When my daughter let the management know of our arrival time, she was told the room had been rented out to someone else! Our daughter had not checked out of the hotel or even returned the keys. Even though I had paid for 1 month, they had re-rented the room and refuse to refund my money for the remaining time! Unbelievable! Be VERY careful with this business. We are currently disputing the charges with the credit card company.
Another note.... this hotel has no elevator, so keep in mind that you will be bringing all your luggage up the stairs.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank JulieJoe63
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 October 2011

If you need to stay in Anchorage for an extended period of time AND know exactly when you will be arriving and departing AND you don't mind an out-of-date 1 1/2 star hotel, then this place might work for you. This was my situation EXCEPT my departure date needed to be moved up due to a change in business plans, BUT this hotel charges you for all nights up front, and will not reimburse you for any nights you end up not staying -- even if you request the additional days the day before and the hotel is not full. This is bad business, particularly when the hotel was not even full, and doesn't work well for travelers who may want or need to change their plans. And they don't take AMEX.

The hotel was likely an old apartment complex from the 50s, and it shows. (In fact, it reminded me of an apt. I lived in back in the 80s.) I can deal with old, as long as it's clean, so that didn't both me as much as the inflexibility on the part of the owner. I read other reviews and have to shake my head ... "classy hotel???"

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Peffredgrowl
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We waited a little too long to book a hotel for the weekend of the Big Wild Life Marathon and came across Duke's while trying to find something that could accommodate 3 people. What a pleasant surprise!

Duke's is an older hotel that more resembles an apartment building. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but give it a chance because the inside is very pleasant. Rooms contain 1 or 2 bedrooms, private bathroom, a small kitchen plus a living area. Most of the rooms appeared to be occupied by extended-stay business travelers, and that's a good hint of how comfortable the suites are, and how good the location is.

Other than a small workout room, there isn't much in the way of on-site amenities, but with dining, shopping, and businesses all around, you won't notice. What you get instead is room to stretch out, a quiet comfortable night's sleep, and spitting distance from great restaurants, the convention center, and the life of downtown ANC.

I should also mention that the front desk staff was exceptional. They helped us repeatedly with various questions and providing packing supplies to help us ship a large package. We'll be back, and Duke's will be the first place we look next time in ANC.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We were given an upgrade to a more superior 2 bedrooms suite at no extra charge. The room has a well equipped kitchenette, a nice spacious dining area and a comfortable lounge area with a large screen TV with cable. The property is well maintained and clean. What we liked most is its location - easy for us to walk to good restaurants and shopping streets.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Stayed there a month, and everytime I walked into the room, I was reminded of what a classy hotel it is....always clean and perfectly appointed with artistic extras (housekeeping rocks!!), lighted awning at the front door (I can picture Audrey Hepburn on a movie set there). Amazingly reasonable rates amidst outlandish hotel prices in Anchorage (big hotels cater to the tour groups and gouge the individual traveler).

Oh, and if you are lucky enough to get a room at Duke's, you will be greeted by Rockstar Rebecca at the front desk....her smile radiates sunshine on a gloomy day and her expertise and efficiency (nothing short of super-woman :)

Also, no need to rent a car.....Starbucks, Kaladi Bros Coffee and seriously, the best restaurants and sightseeing in Anchorage are just steps away from Duke's.

Sally Keogh