“Best campground ever”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anchorage
Portage Valley Cabins and RV Park
Munich, Germany
“Best campground ever”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A perfect place, wonderful area, quiet, the owner helps you, if you have questions with the car etc. There is each evening a campfire, where you can meet people and have dinner. It´s also possible to use the barbecue. Perfekt! I love this place!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Susanne P

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Jose, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed one night at the Portage Valley RV Park, and were satisfied with our stay. The property is surrounded by beautiful mountain views, but the RV sites are not very private. The RV site had water and electric hookups, but the dump station was shared at the back of the property. Portage Valley RV Park is a scenic RV park close to Anchorage, and the staff is friendly and helpful.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emily L
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here in our small RV after a glacier tour. It's a great campground and the owners are delightful. They have free showers and are surrounded by mountains and wildlife. Just beautiful! I wished we could have stayed longer. It rained when we were here but it didn't stop us from enjoying the nature and mountains!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ruth G
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were in Alaska for four weeks and stayed here three times,coming and going. I couldn't bear to stay in Anchorage, so we drove down to Portage just to stay here. It was the only place that was quiet enough to hear the birds singing in the trees. Of course, they were not full and we had some very polite neighbors. Though we'll never be able to visit Alaska again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jcmartin28
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

One of the best campgrounds we have ever stayed at. We had the pleasure to spend last weekend here at Portage Valley Cabins and RV Park. Let me just say, this place was great. The owners, Scott and Tammy, go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. They made us feel right at home and were more than willing to provide info or assistance to any questions we had. There is so much to do, from the bike trails to Portage glacier and the visitor center. We are we already planning another trip, as we liked this place that much.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rodney H
Soldotna
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Favorite Campground that I have ever stayed at! Great service, friendly, thoughtful staff; eager to serve and make our stay pleasant. Here are my favorites:
-easy to find
-central location to lots of attractions
-private
-cute cabins to rent
-showers available
-gorgeous view of snow covered mountains (you can see evidence of avalanche left over from winter)
-soothing babbling brook
-calm lake large enough to kayak on
-CAMPFIRE PAVILION (my favorite. Fire started and maintained by staff. Everyone from the campsites gather here and visit; sharing stories and adventures about their vacations and their home state. Because of the campfire, everyone gets to know each other and it changes the dynamic of camping. We greet each other, visit each other's campsite and watch out for each other. It becomes a small community ever changing with new campers coming and others leaving. But the memories made will stay with us all.

I also read the post about the tent people and have NEVER seen what they described. I have camped here more than once (there has been people tenting at those times) and my experience has always been a peaceful family getaway. The camp hosts don't approve of loud rowdy campers.
My experience is that the hosts go above and beyond their duty making everyone who stays at this wonderful campground feel welcomed, valued and care for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Betsy L
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I decided to take a one day trip from Anchorage with an overnight in Portage valley. I decided to go solo with my 3 children (ages 6, 4, and 2) to give my husband a break. We had a blast and the live-music was geared towards kids making it a hit with my family. They even gave out prizes! My littlest hit his nose and the owner ran in for a wet towel to help with the bleeding. We cooked hotdogs and smores over the fire in the common area which was maintained by the staff. It was perfect because I didn't have to worry about tending to a fire in between running after my 2 year old. I read the review from the folks in the tent regarding the loudness of the site. We didn't have the issue with rude people around but that would certainly be a downer. I will say the live music carried into the night but we were parked far away from the common area and the rain on the top of the camper lulled my fully satisfied family to sleep. The campground is also next to the trail that runs adjacent to the road. Thank so much and we'll definitely be back in the future!!! Note: this is next to a rapid moving creek so children really need to be attended at all times. :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AK_Camping_Mama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anchorage
Inn At Whittier
The Lakefront Anchorage
#6 of 73 in Anchorage
Hotel Alyeska
#1 of 2 in Girdwood

Been to Portage Valley Cabins and RV Park? Share your experiences!