“Nice location, decent rooms”

Anchorage Marriott Downtown
Ranked #8 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Germany
“Nice location, decent rooms”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here 2 nights for a mini vacation. The King bed room on the 17th floor was nice with great views overlooking the downtown area to the north and Cook Inlet. For the most part, everything was up to Marriott standards, but there were small areas that could use work. Parts of our room had small areas of peeling paint, trim that was in need of replacing, and a shower head that didn't spray quite right. We tried the Promenade restaurant in the lobby and were pleasantly surprised (we had some soup, the Cali Chicken sandwich, and the 3 Grilled Cheese/soup combo). The price wasn't too steep for downtown Anchorage.

I used the fitness room a few times--it's small and looks out onto the pool area. They have removed the hot tub (it is now a planter box with shrubs) and we didn't swim in the pool since it was mostly kids in there. The fitness room has 3 Life Fitness treadmills, a few ellipticals, and stair climber. Free weights consist of dumbbells up to 50 lbs.

This hotel is a little further west along the downtown strip, but within a short walking distance to most restaurants and venues. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, allowing us to check in at 1:00 pm (2 hours early).

They offer in-room dining most hours of the day, and the breakfast is $14 or $18 depending on the level of service. We chose to eat at Snow City Cafe downtown instead.

Room Tip: Get a higher room for the views--something looking north or west is better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DarwynK
Cheryl H, Manager at Anchorage Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Hello!

It is always nice to see feedback from local Alaskans! We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and are able to understand the pricing aspect of things here in our great state. I do hope you had a wonderful "mini vacation" and will consider us again when you do it again! Thank you for letting us know about the few things that needed to be addressed in your room, we do appreicate it.

cheryl.hurd@marriottsales.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Salisbury, Maryland USA
Reviewed 21 December 2013

After the small cabin on the cruise ship, this huge room was a welcome change. The large picture windows had views of mountains or waters no matter what side of the hotel you were on. However the windows were overdue for a cleaning and we were not able to take a decent picture of the panaromic views without also capturing the grime. Tfhe lobby was nice and spacious, and the staff kindly accomodated our request for late checkouts due to our late flights out of Anchorage. We found the food in the bar to be very good, better in fact, that most of the restauants we ate in over the course of our Alaskan trip. I loved the soups, especially the curry rice soup. The breakfast at $20 was just okay, but I don't want to stuff myself just to get my money's worth, and it seemed like it was just as expensive to order off the menu. Our second morning we headed straight for Starbucks. Most Marriots have free breakfasts, and given the cost of a night at this hotel, they should have thrown in both the breakfast and the internet. We were able to easily walk every where while in the city, but I think that is true of all the hotels in Anchorage. Again, I must mention that this hotel was NOT cheap. The Hilton, was $100 cheaper a night, however we booked at the Marriot because I had enough points to pay for one night. Do take the time to visit the ballroom and see the huge stuffed Kodiak bear.

Room Tip: They did have 3 or 4 concierge level floors. It can't hurt to ask if rooms are available it you...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Karenkinm
Hello,

Thank you very much for choosing the Marriott for your accomodations this summer! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that your trip to Alaska was an amazing one.

Kasaan
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stay at this hotel every December on business. and was unpleasantly surprised to see they gotten rid of their hot tub, which I badly need for stress relief. I did complain at the desk, but it didn't sound like they planned to replace it, On the better side, they no longer charge for local phone calls, and offer free wifi in the lobby. That is not altogether convenient, and a free ethernet connection in the room would have been better. They overcharge for in room internet. Their meals are over priced and breakfast buffet is too costly for me, so i ate from the nearby freezer at the nearby mom and pop store. They did not charge extra for my in room fridge or microwave, and the "House Man", ( go-fer ) did give good service. I do recommend their excellent seafood chowder, but too expensive for the size of serving. One of the reasons I stay at the Marriot Downtown is for the pool and fitness center. Some rooms have a view of the inlet, which is nice. Plus, it's very close to the enclosed and heated Transit Center, so I can bus to many points in Anchorage, and Value Village is not to be missed, in east Anchorage, route #3. There are two excellent very large thrift stores on the bus route in south Anchorage, close to Dimond Center Mall, where I went to find that affordable purse and steals on silk clothing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Super8KetchikanGuest
Hello,

First off, thank you for choosing the Marriott for your accomodation needs, we appreciate your business. I am sorry that the whirlpool is no longer available, we do hope to have it in service at some point. This is something we did not make decisions about at a local level and do understand that many of our guests, esspecially our local Alaskans do miss. I am pleased that you enjoyed our seafood chowder, I would agree that it is fantastic! As a life long Alaskan, I have tried my fair share and ours is right up there at the top. I also agree with your choices for shopping!

Happy Holidays to you!

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We arrived in Anchorage from a night flight at about 6.00am. Having no place to go, we proceeded to the hotel and checked in. Surprisingly there was problem with the early check-in. Later in the day we discovered that there were some issues with bookings made by our travel agent. There we were, in a different time zone (we are from Australia), no internet access, no one that we knew to help us. The counter staff were excellent in sorting out our bookings, payments and associated issues. Even though they could have told us that it was not their concern, they took it on themselves. I will never forget that one of the managers told me that "when you stay in our hotel, you are like family to us". What a great attitude!! The rooms were great and the food was great too. If anyone wants a recommendation where to stay in Anchorage you cant go past the Marriott.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aussieandy24
Cheryl H, Manager at Anchorage Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Greetings!

I am so glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. It is very true, we like to think of each and every guest as part of our Marriot Family! I hope you enjoyed your stay in Anchorage.

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The king size bed with comforter couldn't be beat. The hotel is a classy, downtown place to stay. However, the internet was was $14.95 per day, the parking garage was $24.00 per day. Over a week's stay we spent an extra $273.00 on these essentials. Also, there is no continental breakfast. We served up at the, what I thought was a free breakfast, and then was handed a bill for $38.00 for two. You pay for everything at this hotel. So all total, you would spend an extra $77.00 per day for things that most hotels offer for free. In addition, the room was never cleaned right the whole week we were there. They made up the bed and emptied the trash, replaced the towels daily. That's it. The carpet was never vacuumed and we would find someone else's trash in our room from the cleaning team, who also didn't speak English, so couldn't communicate. And coffee was a rare thing, we mostly got decaf in our coffee supplies. I also noticed that discarded drink containers stayed on the table at the elevators for 2 days. In conclusion, the cleaning was way below what you would expect from a classy hotel. The staff were all very courteous and helpful. My decision though, is to not stay at this hotel again. I was attending a conference downtown and needed something within walking distance. Our last 2 nights in Anchorage we stayed at Comfort Suites on International. Our home away from home.
Thanks, hope this helps.

Room Tip: pick a room on the west side if possible. Nice views of the inlet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mike l
Dear Mike,

While I am very happy you found our Hotel to be very nice I am very sorry that we fell short in a few areas. However, our website does indicate the additional charges for parking, internet, breakfast and such, I'm sorry it was a surprise for you, I know I personally would not like to be "hit" with charges I didn't budget for. Having said that, a "full service"property such as ours as well as others in downtown Anchorage do have those additional charges. At "limited service" properties those amenities are usually included, I hope this will help you when making accommodation arraignments in the future.
As for the cleaning of your room, please accept my sincere apologies as this is not something we take lightly, we do appreciate your feedback and will use it to be better in the future.

Thank you again for your time and Happy Holidays to you!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have stayed at this Marriott several times. One of my stays was just after being released from a long hospital stay. The hotel itself is very good...and since the remodel it is even better. But, as good as the hotel is, the staff is even better. I have to say that during my stay the staff was one of the most accommodating hotel staffs I have ever experienced. My stay after being released from the hospital was over the Christmas holiday and the staff decorated my room and check on me regularly to make sure that I was doing ok.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cubfaninco
Hello,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, even though the circumstance sounds to be less than ideal for you. I do hope that you are fully recovered. We appreciate your loyalty, we will see you soon!

Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The anchorage Marriott was home for 2 days and it was a pleasant stay. Within walking distance to just about everything that we needed to do. If possible try to get a higher room as the view would be better. Breakfast in the little cafe was a little pricey but what hotel isn't? I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrea H
Hello Andrea H,

Thank you for taking the time to rate our property, we hope to see you again!