“Location was excellent”

Anchorage Marriott Downtown
Ranked #10 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Marriott was a perfect location for us. We could walk to most places from the hotel. The room was satisfactory for us seeing that we were only in it to sleep! The best part was that we could walk to a full gym just around the corner. Marriott partners with them so we were able to get in with a Marriott "ticket" and $10 even though we weren't members. We weren't there to stay in the hotel so we didn't spend much time there, but it certainly gave us a great place to start and end each day.

Room Tip: Get a room high up for a view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magnolia1e

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Outstanding service, location, breakfast buffet and room. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. This was our first stop in Alaska and very pleasant.

Would definitely stay here again if we come to Anchorage again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank terry g
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Staying at the Marriott downtown was a pretty good experience over all. It has a small (as in shoe box size) bar downstairs and fantastic staff everywhere. The room was a bit meh, not as fancy as some but fancy enough to make a good impression. Get a room high up, facing 7th Avenue because when the Raptors (they are Air Force Jets - Go Active, Go Veterans!) are flying it makes an impression you wont soon forget! There are other sights to be seen as well.
For easting and night life,there is McGinley's Pub, Platinum Jaxx (stranger danger here though at night), Humpy's (most excellent and live music at night but very crowded sometimes) but most important Black Horse coffee house is just a couple blocks away on F and 7th. It is a bit of walk to get to the main downtown however, you might have fun exploring all the little stores and places in between your destination and the hotel. Get a room on the most upper floors and enjoy a beautiful sunset or in the summer, the never ending days! The view is worth it and so is the quiet.

Room Tip: Top floors for a great view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MoMoMcKenzie
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've stayed here 2-5 times a year for the last decade. Staff is better than you would expect and rooms are worse than you'd expect from a Marriott. I have a clear preference for this over the downtown Hilton. I'm ambivalent about staying here versus the Captain Cook, which I sometimes book for variety. If you could combine the Marriott staff with the Captain Cook dining options, you'd have the best downtown option. Also, I've had a few epic housekeeping fails in the winter here, which is the main reason I'm rating it 3/5 instead of 4/5...who wants to deal with that after a long flight from Outside.

Room Tip: Having stayed in 50+ different rooms, I don't see much difference. I tend to ask for a quiet roo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CriticWJ67
Cheryl H, Director of Sales at Anchorage Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hello,

I am very glad to hear you enjoyed our staff during your visit. I am however sorry to hear that you were not impressed with our rooms. We did remodel much of the property in the summer of 2012 and the rooms are far nicer than prior to that. We do receive many comments about the size and comfort of our rooms, I am very sorry you did not enjoy them. I would agree with you that we are an excellent choice for the downtown area.

We hope to see you again in the future and thank you for choosing Marriott!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our stay was fine, but certainly not outstanding which one expects from Marriott. One bar of soap in the bathroom...how about one for the shower...I don't like the liquid shower gel. We stayed two evenings, one with points and one paid for by our tour group. Arriving back at 2:30 in the afternoon of the first day exhausted from jet lag and ready for a rest, our room was just as we had left it. I had to call to have it made up. So much for our rest! Trying to access the room after it was cleaned, our keys did not allow us access. Reception told us that was because the bill was being paid by us and then the tour group. I had told them the first day we would be in the room two nights! I will say that Kelly, one of the bellmen, was very helpful and gave us great advice as far as what to do and where to eat was concerned. Kudos to Kelly!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RealtorAtSea

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I'm am sorry that you had issues while staying with us, we appreciate your bringing these issues to our attention. We will certainly be training our Front Desk agents regarding stays multiple nights with different methods of payment. We are in the season where we will start to see this more frequently and I am very sorry you had to endure the inconvenience this has caused you. We will also look at providing another soap for those who prefer it over the shower gel.

Again, thank you for your response and I do hope that you enjoyed your trip to Alaska.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Marriott has always delivered more than standard, Customer service was great, my room very clean, I'm always traveling on business, & very picky with brand. I'd recommend this location anytime, although I was in town for work, this Marriott made my business trip very pleasant!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jenni W
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The common areas of the hotel are a bit worn as others have noted. The lobby has quite a few staff for a small space and they are very effusive in their greetings and very helpful with directions, etc. The rooms have been refurbished and the bed was very comfortable. They are very poorly lit (despite lots of lamps) which is important if you are there at a dark time of the year. I had to open all the drapes with all lamps on to see anything and it was sunny). Do not expect Marriott top quality or even slightly below top quality . The main restaurant serves a very nice breakfast with BEYOND attentive service (as in the hostess took my handbag and put it on the chair for me and placed the napkin in my lap). The bar restaurant was also good. The housekeeping, however, was poor. Our room was skipped one day ( housekeeper saw me leave and put the sign out). Management cleaned it right away, but it was still an inconvenience. On day one, there was one piece of soap for both sink area and shower. On day 2 I left as the housekeeper came in. I tipped her (generously) and requested extra washcloths and a shower cap (in Spanish because we established she did not speak English). Upon my return, I received one less washcloth than the day before and no shower cap. Maybe they didn't have shower caps but surely they had washcloths! The room across the hall had a room service meal for dinner early one evening. The crab leg shells were there until 1 p.m. the next day. It was fairly disgusting. The exercise room well equipped. Wifi is extra (go to nearby coffee shops and have great coffee and free wireless) .Parking is extra. There is a municipal lot not too far away (but that is not inexpensive). I think there is probably a better choice for the money. If you have to stay here (i.e. conference) it will be just ok.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lmgrbg
Cheryl H, Director of Sales at Anchorage Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. Our property was built in 2000 with major renovations to our common areas complete in May 2012. I am very sorry that you did not receive the attention from housekeeping that you deserve. Your feedback allows us to better train our staff. Please know this is not the type of service we are proud of and we will take every measure to avoid recurrences in the future.

Our parking and wifi are in line with our competitors downtown that are full service properties. We do understand that some guests are looking for all inclusive/ limited service hotels and there are certainly those options in the Anchorage area.

Again, we thank you for your feedback and do hope that you will come see us in the future.

Warm Regards,