“There are better options”

Alaskan European Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #71 of 126 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This B&B was a disappointment. My friend and I had a small room in what felt like a small house. The bathroom was not clean or updated. In addition, someone walked in on me both in the evening and in the morning (the bathroom lock was not reliable). While the caretaker is pleasant and breakfast is good, my friend sat in a seat that had old egg all over the plate. (The dishwasher clearly hadn't done its job.) We found medication sitting on our dresser in plain sight. Overall, the experience was uncomfortable. We paid slightly more the week before for a different B&B and had a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: The Italy Room has twin beds but is rather small (and needs a thorough cleaning).
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Summer G

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were looking forward to our stay in Anchorage but were disappointed with this B&B. it was very shabby, needs complete renovation although the bed was okay. Mostly, the place needs a thorough cleaning and dusting. When we arrived, I took a washcloth to dust the bookcase headboard. The bathroom rugs needed to be washed and the floor scoured.
On the positive side Irene was very pleasant and friendly and made great coffee.

Room Tip: We had the former master bedroom called the Africa room which had many knick knacks on shelves, none...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I would rate Irene's B&B as one of the best I have ever stayed in. She makes really nice pancakes for breakfast and has really good stories to tell. It is in a nice and friendly looking neighbourhood, so not in downtown, but there is a bus stop not too far away. If I come back to Anchorage, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Thanks so much for your hospitality. This BNB was a wonderful place to stay with real alaskan host and the breakfast was wonderful. I would highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone seeking more then a hotel experience with great advice about Alaska from real people who live there. Thanks again for such a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RamonF437
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

This was our first B&B experience and I am glad we stayed here. Making a reservation was easy and Irene also helped to figure out other details for our week long Alaska trip. Irene has travelled across the globe and has a great collection of items from different countries. We stayed in 'Africa' room and every item in the room was as per the room theme. Dave served excellent breakfast and he is also a great resource for travel tips in Alaska. Conversations with Irene are funny, interesting and informative as she has some great stories to share. The diversity of people staying at this place is amazing and is reflected in the numerous flags outside of B&B. I highly recommend this place for the rooms, service and more importantly the wonderful people.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank bhramar
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here, mainly because of the friendly caretaker. She had such great stories to tell over breakfast about all the mountain climbers who use her place as a basecamp. The room was comfortable, even though we didn't end up with the one we reserved so be care of that. I had trouble sleeping because I could hear another guest in the room above ours snoring all night. It's a house with average noise control and he seemed like an exceptionally loud snorer. Also the bathrooms are shared, which wasn't completely apparent or expected (to me) of a bed and breakfast. It is more European hostel-style with private rooms. The food was fabulous and the location in a quiet neighborhood was very nice. Parking available in the driveway.

Room Tip: Be sure to call and verify your reservation and room selection. As with most places when travelling...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank strontium87
Reviewed 4 September 2012

By a pleasant accident my friend and I ended up at this adorable B&B this weekend. Our original plan was to stay elsewhere but things got mixed up and we happened to stumble upon the Alaskan European B&B. We were delighted to find that they were able to squeak us in for the weekend! The B&B is located in a very nice, quiet neighborhood in Anchorage. Each room in the B&B has a different theme (Holland, Italy, ext). We stayed in the Holland room. It was very clean, and very comfortable. They made us feel right at home! The whole house was warm and inviting, it felt like staying at Grandmas! The morning we were there, the breakfast was wonderful! Home made jams, delicious pancakes, and delicious coffee! Overall it was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends