“I was very disappointed!”

Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown
Ranked #57 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife & I stayed at this property on the night of 5/18/2014. When we checked in we were told we'd be stay in a room which didn't exist! We searched the halls up & down, then finally returned to the front desk to ask where the room was. After looking at our key pack, the desk clerk said her "assistant" wrote down the wrong room number. Oh well, we all make mistakes. Once in the room we left for a walk to downtown Anchorage. We finally returned to the room around 5 pm, after an early dinner. Once in the room, suddenly someone tried to open the door, but I had the safety latch in place. Immediately I walked to the front desk to report it and was told by the desk clerk's "assistant" that she'd called for us and after hearing nothing tried to open the door. Allegedly to check on our towels, etc. Well, this "assistant" did NOT announce her presence and we are fortunate we were in the room. I'll never stay at an Extended Stay property again.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken P

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for just one night. The building was poorly maintained and gave off an old/worn-out feel, the room had a very weird and unsettling feel to it (as did the rest of this hotel) and breakfast simply did not exist. To top things off, the staff I dealt with during my stay acted very strange. That is, when they were actually around! Most of the time there was a sign at the reception desk saying "We are currently assisting other guests and will be back shortly". I saw that about 4 times during the day.

At some point I had made a call to room service to ask for a bathroom scale and the girl on the line could not understand a word I was saying when I was speaking VERY basic English. Eventually she just hung up. The only slightly positive thing I could say about this hotel is that it is in a good location. That's about it.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel ever again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone else, even if it is for a very short stay. I was ecstatic to leave it the next day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Miki C
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We arrived at 2am and left the next morning-- so it was perfect for us. But I would avoid this place if I were staying longer. Breakfast was essentially non-existence (oatmeal in a coffee cup -- no milk, sugar, fruit) and coffee without cream-- ugg.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 995Bob
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were at the end of the trip and had just two days before our flight. For those two nights it was oke. But the price (we got it for 136 by hotwire) was way too much!
Normally it is even more expensive!
It looks clean (if it is?), kitchen unit in room but nothing more than that.

Room Tip: For that price go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sneeuwwitjeroos
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Since the hotel was only one block from the cruise bus drop off point, I figure it would be a very convenient place to stay. The woman working check-in, greeted me warmly and was very friendly and answered all of my questions and directed me toward my room. I got totally lost looking as the numbering system is not sequential but was in luck as 4 or 5 little girls directed me to my room. That was the first thing that was different than most hotels. Many of the rooms were open and large families sat within talking or watching TV and many little children played in the halls. It appeared to be and extended family, all knowing each other. The room was very large. I won't say not clean but would say it had seen better days. It included a complete kitchen and some plastic dishware. The bed was saggy but would do since it was only one night.

Later that evening, returning from dinner is when the disaster struck. My room was on the ground level with the window facing the street as did one of the rooms of the extended family. As I turned to walk into the hotel, I witnessed members of the family tear off the screen from their window which adjoined mine, open the window and proceed to enter their room by way of the window for what reason, I don't know. This was right out on the street on the ground floor anyone walking by or driving by could see how easy it was to break int their or my room! When I reported this to the new desk clerk, it did not seem to upset her as much as it did me. Again it was only for one night. I spent a sleepless night thinking that, at any moment, anyone could have easy access through my street level window. Location and price should not be the main reason to pick hotel. Safety should be number 1!

Room Tip: Don't stay street-side or you too may have the families who live there entering their room throu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank JJMAYNARD
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Upon our late arrival, we were not given much attention when we checked in. There was a woman at the counter, talking with the desk clerk about Bingo. We arrived at the hotel at 12:30am, got settled in our room, and after traveling for 8 hours, were fast asleep within an hour of our arrival. At 1:30 am, there was an obnoxiously loud BANGING on our door. It was the desk clerk, asking us if we were supposed to be in this room and how did we get the key. I went down with her to see what was going on. Because she was TOO BUSY speaking with the other woman (who I realized later "lives" in the hotel), she did not pay attention to any of my paperwork. She didn't even remember checking us in (its only been an hour).
The breakfast is "grab and go"= granola bars, fruit, instant oatmeal, & coffee. You can't get anything though because the "residents" are there, consuming or just taking all the items they want.
We stayed a week and were offered a housekeeping day. On the day that it was scheduled, the housekeeper knocked on the door, asked if we were leaving that day & that was the extent of our "housekeeping"
There is an indoor pool which states that from 10-11pm, it is adults only. Not the case. There was a family of 6 kids in the pool area, all under the age of 12, swimming with no supervision. Again, come to realize it was a family of "residents".
I booked my room from April 25-May 2. On May 1, there is a knock (AGAIN) on the door. This time it is the front desk girl asking me if I was going to be checking out soon. I told her that I was sure I had reserved the room through the 2nd. She proceeded to tell me that since I had checked in a day early, I had to check out a day early. Thank goodness I found my itinerary so I could prove to her that I had reserved the room for the entire week. While we were talking about it, she gets this look on her face and starts telling me that I checked in on the 25th at 12:30 am. I asked to see my check-in paperwork, which I signed and dated "April 26th, 12:30am". She begins apologizing profusely for the mistake and tells me to enjoy the rest of my stay. The desk clerk that checked us in submitted the paperwork wrong..
Needless to stay, I do not recommend this hotel unless you like being bothered all the time. Or if you do not mind sharing your hotel with people who live there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary M
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Had everything I needed. I especialley enjoyed the quiet and had the pool and jacuzzi all to myself! Wonderful king size bed. Lots of tv channels to choose from. Very clean.staff friendly and helpful. Only problem was loose handle on toilet.

• Stayed: May 2014