“Good pre and post wilderness place to rest your head.”

Dimond Center Hotel
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 11 August 2013

By Anchorage standards, the Dimond Center is a good value. Pricey by lower 48 measure, but a good Alaska value.

The hotel shuttle greeting us at the airport was reliable, comfortable and timely. Note that you will want to have the hotel phone number plugged into your cell as Dimond Center does not have a phone at the airport travel center. Must call them when you arrive ANC baggage.

Upon arrival and thereafter, the desk receptionists were very friendly and accommodating. Top notch! The rooms comfy, clean and spacious. Breakfast is one step above continental with scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles and oatmeal available.

The hotel lounge is "Anchorage" reasonable priced with very good bar food. Try the fish sandwich and slaw.

Dimond Center also provides free locked storage and freezer space for guests wanting to leave gear, baggage or fish for a few days' journey. Coin laundry (much needed after 6 nights camping) is also available.

Most notable, make time to check out the Native art. This is not the typical hotel knock off shelf decor. Not sure, but I believe the Diamond is owned by a Native Corporation. Regardless, the Native art throughout the building is worth exploring.

The Dimond Center is located a 15 minute and easy $2 (have exact change) public transit bus ride from downtown centre. The transit drivers we encountered were very grumpy :-(. Not sure they appreciate their role and prominence in promoting tourism and advocating for their community. But we'll cut them some slack, it can be a challenging job dealing with a broad public spectrum.

For those wanting a downtown on the bay location, this is not the place. Most beneficial about the Dimond Center location is its walking proximity to a large sporting goods store, Walmart and other retail. One can easily find last minute reasonably priced incidentals and gear prior to departing on your Alaska adventure. For that matter, you could easily completely outfit your entire journey regardless of whether it's a hike into the wilderness or scenic ride on the rail.

We started and finished our Alaska adventure with a night at the Dimond Center. All in all, you'll pay $50-100 more per night than the bare bones no frills motel, but you'll discover much more than that in comfort and experience.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be well located and you have three floors to choose from. Avoid near the third fl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Greg G

Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was a nice hotel. The included breakfast in the morning was very good with a nice variety of foods, including biscuits and gravy, waffles, eggs, sausage, as well as cereal, muffins, toast, coffee, juice, etc. The rooms were clean and comfy. Personally, they could swap out the big huge bath tub and put in a bigger shower, but that's just my opinion; I'm sure some people would love the tub. We were on the third floor and it took about 3 minutes before the hot water would show up for the shower (I used that time to gather my clothes for the day, etc.) and the water pressure left a lot to be desired, but overall it got the job done. The staff was friendly and helpful. We ran into a bizarre circumstance: on three different occasions after we got back to the hotel from a long day, pieces of gum were missing from gum left out on the dresser. Nothing else was taken and the room didn't look disturbed, but the gum was missing. This even happened on days when we had a "do not disturb" sign on our door. Again, nothing of value was taken (we had all valuables, except our clothes with us most of the time), just the gum. When I mentioned it to the front desk, they said they would look into it and apologized. Overall, it was a nice place to stay. However, being my first time in Alaska, if go back a second, I would probably rent a condo or home instead of staying at any hotel.

1  Thank Amie S
Reviewed 31 July 2013

nice clean hotel-good free breakfast-helpful staff. I gave this hotel a 3 because of the location. taxi is 25.00 to downtown each way. we should have paid the extra for a closer property. I was told that for a flat daily rate you can use the people mover buses-which depart out of the same parking lot. they may take longer for you to get downtown though. try f street (a locals place/bar) and humpeys when in anchorage. do not use seward busline left us stranded in anchorage after numerous confirmations.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jtcancun
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I reserved a room for July 30th, however, my flight into Anchorage did not arrive until 12:45am on the 31st. So, I didn't arrive at the hotel until approx. 1:30am on the 31st. My flight out of Anchorage on the 31st is at 3:45 pm so I asked for a late checkout. The desk clerk informed me that check-out time was noon and asked me if that was late enough. I asked for a 3pm checkout time. The desk clerk said I would be charged another full day's rate for a checkout that late. I wanted to spend the morning/afternoon shopping at the Dimond Center Mall. Now, I will not be able to do that since I have to haul my bags around with me. Seeing as how I did not arrive until 1am the day after my scheduled check-in date, I felt that it was not an unreasonable request to have a late checkout since I would only be here for about 14 hours. For the amount of money I spent for the night, I'm quite dismayed that I would be charged a full day's rate for a late checkout. Quite disappointing and this will be my last stay at this hotel.

1  Thank alaskagal98
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We love staying here for so many reasons. First this is a fresh and clean place to stay from the lobby to the shower. You will love the large bathtub which is great for distressing after a long trip or day of fun in Anchorage. In the morning you receive a delicious hot breakfast in the lobby. I love the big chairs in the lobby area as well. The Dimond Center hotel is within walking distinct of loads of shopping, restaurants and even a movie theater. Do not forget to get your Alaska Airlines partner miles as they will adds up over time.

So give this place a go!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Danna W
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed there 2 separate nights.
The location is not downtown, but there is a WalMart and fast food places are walking distance.
The Alaska Railroad is right in the back of the hotel. I like trains so was not concerned about that, but one train did stop for about 30 minutes right by the hotel about 10 pm, then continued. It was a little noisy.
The breakfast is very good, but not as wide a choice as, say an Embassy Suites, but then you're saving money staying here vs. other hotels in downtown.
One problem is the frosted glass windows apparently in every room between the main room and the bathroom. Not great for some families I would think.

Room was clean.

1  Thank Steveg5000
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Dimond was recommended by a friend that lives in Anchorage. I was in Anchorage with my BFF for the friend's wedding.
Nice big room, comfortable beds, soft sheets, lots of pillows, plenty of room for us to unpack all of our stuff in to the drawers and hang up stuff in the wardrobe. There were good quality bath products: soap, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion. Also in the room was a Keurig coffee maker with multiple coffee types, including Newman's organic. We didn't want our room cleaned, as messy=comfortable, The cleaning woman let us pluck all of the extra bath products and coffee supplies that we wanted directly of off of her cart.
Every evening there were warm cookies in the lobby...although it might have actually been night...the fact that it was bright as day at 11:30pm made time rather confusing.
The (free!) breakfast buffet was very good. Eggs, make-your-own waffles, bagels, toast, peanut butter, cream cheese, jam, sausage, cereal, juice, coffee, tea, milk and lots of fresh fruit. It was a full breakfast, not just a pastry and coffee deal. We took our plates and ate in the big sunny glass walled lounge area. A ton of money was saved eating breakfast at the hotel. Plus eating breakfast at the hotel also saved time and we could go right out for adventures.
The bar was also nice. Small. The bartender was super nice, especially considering 8 of us sat and drank nothing but iced-tea for several hours (consideration for the non-drinking bride and groom). After they left we partied out a bit more. I had some very decent fish and chips.
And now I come to the bathtub. Huge. Two people could easily fit in the tub...and I am not small. Every single night I was in Alaska I filled that pond up with hot water and bubble bath (Walmart with bath products right next door!). The extra crazy-cool thing was that bathroom had frosted glass windows that opened up on to the main room. If I'd wanted to, I could have had a nice private bath. But I was traveling with my BFF, who I rarely see... I could soak, drink booze AND talk to BFF as she lay on her bed watching TV and facebooking! I had so many bubbles it wasn't even like I was naked! I wanna go back to Alaska just to take some more baths!
The hotel is in the middle of a shopping complex, it's not the most beautiful setting...although just past the stores are spectacular snowcapped mountains. Very odd combination of strip mall and wonderfulness. Don't let the location deter you. The rooms are nice, Anchorage is small, and it's easy to get out of town into the wilderness.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends