“Very comfortable stay”

Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Smithtown, New York
“Very comfortable stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed in this hotel twice during our vacation in Alaska, at the start and end of our trip. The decor of the hotel was very nice, Alaskan artwork, light and bright, very cheerful and soothing.The rooms and the lobby of the hotel are very clean and comfy. The lobby has comfy seating, computers with internet and printing, and tables with games. The whole hotel is wired for WIFI as well. I was pleased that the bathroom in our room was without any dirt or mold. The linens for the bathroom and the bedroom were of an excellent quality. The mattress was very comfortable. Our bathroom was HUGE, with a separate shower from the bathtub. There was a window over the bathtub that opened, but I didn't find that to be a very useful feature. I love having a sink outside the bathroom so that two people can be getting ready in the morning at the same time, but I would also have liked there to be an additional sink in the bathroom for washing one's hands before opening the door to leave the room.

The restaurant had a breakfast buffet, with make your own waffles, and also prepared eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit salad.....The breakfast food was more than adequate and tasty. Throughout the day, the coffee and tea urns remain full and accessible, which was another nice touch, and sometimes there are fresh cookies on the counter in the main lobby, giving the hotel a feel of an inn more than of a hotel. The bar opens up in the late afternoon and dinner is available from evening till about 10PM. Lunch is not available during the day.

The location of the hotel is a bit unusual, as it is in a shopping center. The views from the hotel are not spectacular, but you can see some mountains in the distance. There is outdoors area for drinks and eating, but the view from the outdoor seating overlooks a parking lot.

Our room was on the third floor and a good distance from the elevator, ice machine, and laundry room. This made the area quiet for us most of the time. I requested a "quiet location" based on another review I read on Trip Advisor.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would happily return here again, but I would add that if you are a couple without children, request the quiet location. The walls are a little thin, and on our return visit at the end of our vacation, we were able to hear the children in the room next to us.

Room Tip: Room 327 was very nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suecast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is our second time to stay here and we were not disappointed. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the bar food is delicious, and the service is great. We have stayed here both times after flying in and we depart the next day. There is a Walmart next door where you can pick up some snacks or accessories for your trip. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pakrugg
Sioux City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2013

By Anchorage standards, the Dimond Center is a good value. Pricey by lower 48 measure, but a good Alaska value.

The hotel shuttle greeting us at the airport was reliable, comfortable and timely. Note that you will want to have the hotel phone number plugged into your cell as Dimond Center does not have a phone at the airport travel center. Must call them when you arrive ANC baggage.

Upon arrival and thereafter, the desk receptionists were very friendly and accommodating. Top notch! The rooms comfy, clean and spacious. Breakfast is one step above continental with scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles and oatmeal available.

The hotel lounge is "Anchorage" reasonable priced with very good bar food. Try the fish sandwich and slaw.

Dimond Center also provides free locked storage and freezer space for guests wanting to leave gear, baggage or fish for a few days' journey. Coin laundry (much needed after 6 nights camping) is also available.

Most notable, make time to check out the Native art. This is not the typical hotel knock off shelf decor. Not sure, but I believe the Diamond is owned by a Native Corporation. Regardless, the Native art throughout the building is worth exploring.

The Dimond Center is located a 15 minute and easy $2 (have exact change) public transit bus ride from downtown centre. The transit drivers we encountered were very grumpy :-(. Not sure they appreciate their role and prominence in promoting tourism and advocating for their community. But we'll cut them some slack, it can be a challenging job dealing with a broad public spectrum.

For those wanting a downtown on the bay location, this is not the place. Most beneficial about the Dimond Center location is its walking proximity to a large sporting goods store, Walmart and other retail. One can easily find last minute reasonably priced incidentals and gear prior to departing on your Alaska adventure. For that matter, you could easily completely outfit your entire journey regardless of whether it's a hike into the wilderness or scenic ride on the rail.

We started and finished our Alaska adventure with a night at the Dimond Center. All in all, you'll pay $50-100 more per night than the bare bones no frills motel, but you'll discover much more than that in comfort and experience.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be well located and you have three floors to choose from. Avoid near the third fl...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Greg G
Watertown, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This was a nice hotel. The included breakfast in the morning was very good with a nice variety of foods, including biscuits and gravy, waffles, eggs, sausage, as well as cereal, muffins, toast, coffee, juice, etc. The rooms were clean and comfy. Personally, they could swap out the big huge bath tub and put in a bigger shower, but that's just my opinion; I'm sure some people would love the tub. We were on the third floor and it took about 3 minutes before the hot water would show up for the shower (I used that time to gather my clothes for the day, etc.) and the water pressure left a lot to be desired, but overall it got the job done. The staff was friendly and helpful. We ran into a bizarre circumstance: on three different occasions after we got back to the hotel from a long day, pieces of gum were missing from gum left out on the dresser. Nothing else was taken and the room didn't look disturbed, but the gum was missing. This even happened on days when we had a "do not disturb" sign on our door. Again, nothing of value was taken (we had all valuables, except our clothes with us most of the time), just the gum. When I mentioned it to the front desk, they said they would look into it and apologized. Overall, it was a nice place to stay. However, being my first time in Alaska, if go back a second, I would probably rent a condo or home instead of staying at any hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Amie S
Warren, Michigan
Reviewed 31 July 2013

nice clean hotel-good free breakfast-helpful staff. I gave this hotel a 3 because of the location. taxi is 25.00 to downtown each way. we should have paid the extra for a closer property. I was told that for a flat daily rate you can use the people mover buses-which depart out of the same parking lot. they may take longer for you to get downtown though. try f street (a locals place/bar) and humpeys when in anchorage. do not use seward busline left us stranded in anchorage after numerous confirmations.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jtcancun
Unalaska
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I reserved a room for July 30th, however, my flight into Anchorage did not arrive until 12:45am on the 31st. So, I didn't arrive at the hotel until approx. 1:30am on the 31st. My flight out of Anchorage on the 31st is at 3:45 pm so I asked for a late checkout. The desk clerk informed me that check-out time was noon and asked me if that was late enough. I asked for a 3pm checkout time. The desk clerk said I would be charged another full day's rate for a checkout that late. I wanted to spend the morning/afternoon shopping at the Dimond Center Mall. Now, I will not be able to do that since I have to haul my bags around with me. Seeing as how I did not arrive until 1am the day after my scheduled check-in date, I felt that it was not an unreasonable request to have a late checkout since I would only be here for about 14 hours. For the amount of money I spent for the night, I'm quite dismayed that I would be charged a full day's rate for a late checkout. Quite disappointing and this will be my last stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank alaskagal98
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We love staying here for so many reasons. First this is a fresh and clean place to stay from the lobby to the shower. You will love the large bathtub which is great for distressing after a long trip or day of fun in Anchorage. In the morning you receive a delicious hot breakfast in the lobby. I love the big chairs in the lobby area as well. The Dimond Center hotel is within walking distinct of loads of shopping, restaurants and even a movie theater. Do not forget to get your Alaska Airlines partner miles as they will adds up over time.

So give this place a go!

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family