“A great choice if you're in Anchorage.”

Dimond Center Hotel
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
LEJ45
“A great choice if you're in Anchorage.”
Reviewed 31 July 2008

My family and I stayed here in late May 2008. Although it cost a few bucks, the place is comparable to the area. This hotel has incredibly clean, large rooms, a friendly staff, a good location next to, but far enough away from a shopping complex, and an incredible breakfast. The breakfast area is a good size with choices that include: oatmeal, muffins, donuts, oj, coffee, tea, a waffle bar(!), hard-boiled eggs, and probably a few other items I can't remember.

• Liked — Breakfast.
  • Disliked — The blackout curtains did not black out much.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
marietta GA
Reviewed 23 July 2008

i stayed here soley because of alaska toursaver coupon - buy one get one night free coupon. I was expected to be wow'd by the hotel, since the rate was 280$ a night. I usually stay in budget accomodations, so i can easily be impressed. Anchorage (and all of alaska) is pretty expensinve for hotels, but they were more than most.

Pros
very nicely appointed rooms with large bathrooms, nice tv's, health club access included.
Hotel was very quiet.
above average breakfast.
airport shuttle was convienent and driver was very nice.

cons
location - in mall parking lot, not even a great mall at that. away from most anything that tourists would want. would have to have a rental car if staying here.
expensive for what you got.

one major complaint i have.
After a long day my wife was giving my extremely tired 2 year old son a bath, during which he protested loudly in a manner typical of tired toddlers
The front desk called and said that we had to switch rooms at 11 pm at night due to a "maitnence issue" You can imagine how upset my wife was, with a crying, ready-to-go-to-bed toddler, being told that she had to switch rooms.
They upgraded us to a nicer room, but i thought it was terriably innappropriate. I gather that someone else complained and they moved us to appease them because i could not see any pressing maitenance issue that had to be resolved at 11 pm at night. I asked at the front desk, both that night, and the next morning, and they would never elaborate.
I was tempted to write teh management a nasty letter, but it was not even worth my time, since i wont be going back to alaska anytime soon, would not stay there again anyway, and it is not a a chain hotel that could offer me any appeasement.
I'd love to hear from management on this one.

• Liked — room quality
  • Disliked — questionable customer service
missouri
Reviewed 15 July 2008

The hotel was awesome it was close to Walmart, borders, Sam's club and some others places and it was very clean, a good breakfast ever morning. We had a problem in our room and they had someone up to our room in 5 minutes to fix it..
The staff was very friendly and helpful..
They have a laudomat on the 3rd floor ..
The rooms are huge and I really like the tub, it had 36' flat screen tv, fridge, microwave.
It might cost more then the other hotels but it is worth it..

• Liked — the tub
  • Disliked — they was doing road work for 2 days..
1 Thank dukie43
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I just came back from my stay at the Dimond Center Hotel. Granted, I stayed there because of the location near my sister and nephew. I really was expected to be WOWd at $249 a night. I wasn't.

The best thing is the bed is comfortable, no problem there. There is a big screen TV (not flat screen). Small "refrigerator" isn't cold...don't get that. Why have a refrigerator if it isn't cold? Deep soaking tub is nice also.

Continental breakfast. There is no kitchen here! Nothing fresh! Made me think they got all the items from Walmart. Canned peaches, pineapples. Breads, cold cereal. I did see some cooked oatmeal. Belgium waffles that I had to make (with the handy sign on how to handle the waffle maker). The advertising boasts "the best Belgium Waffle Breakfast in Anchorage". Well poor Anchorage if this is the best Belgium waffle. Nothing special about the waffles with the canned strawberry sauce that made the waffles soggy. The next day I hiked to the nearest McDonalds. That was the only breakfast place I could find within walking distance besides Starbucks.

The description says "courtyard view or city view with mountains". It should be "parking lot view or parking lot view".

This is in what they call a shopping mall. Even if you wanted to shop at these stores, eat your Wheaties first and put on your walking shoes. You have to cross the huge parking lot to Walmart avoiding oncoming cars (I personally don't shop at Walmart). All other stores are found maybe a quarter a mile away (across again, parking lots) dodging cars.

There is a bar, the Camel Rock Lounge. I asked for a white wine and without asking what kind, I was served a white wine from a 375ml bottle that was awful. The next night there was a different bartender who told be about the white wines they offered and I had a nice Kendall Jackson Chardonnay.

Their term "Loft-style room" is not what they have. It's a typical, basic hotel room. Yes you can see the TV from the tub if that's what makes it loft-style. I thought it was very dark, even with every light on I could find. I live in a loft, and the rooms at Dimond Center Hotel are not loft-style.

I noticed there were washers and dryers available so the first morning, I thought I would throw a few things in, have breakfast and then put my things in the dryer. WRONG. The soap machine ($1.25 for Tide) was out in both slots. Down to the front desk to get my money back. Told her there was no Tide and the desk clerk didn't say she'd do something about this. She gave me new Tide. Up to the washer, and then the machine didn't like one of my quarters ($1.50 for the washer), so back to the desk to get more quarters. The washers had old soap in the container, and the dryers were knee deep in lint. Gross. The dryer is $1.50. This was an expensive, time consuming morning.

I didn't find anything stylish about this hotel. They do offer free transportation to the airport that was nice.

But for $249, can I have a complimentary newspaper? There is also no room service.

Last time, I stayed at the Sheraton downtown and that was wonderful. That's where I'll stay next time.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank 1492Sonoma
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 6 July 2008

My wife is in love with this hotel. She loves her bath time and with the 36 inch soaking baths, she is in heaven. It is also convenient to the Dimond Center, Walmart, food court and liquor store. Living in Fairbanks, we travel to Anchorage a few times a year and always stay at Dimond Center Hotel. The tubs, large TV, Dream Bed, and free hot continental breakfast in morning makes our trip even that much better. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Dream Bed and Bath
  • Disliked — Hard to find if not familiar with location
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Located a few miles south of town and the airport, this hotel is in the rear parking lot of a shopping mall. With a one night free coupon (from the Alaska Tour Saver Coupon book) we stayed here two nights. The 3rd floor (top) corner room was odd in that the sink was outside the bathroom. With TV, microwave, coffee maker and comfy beds, and with a good free breakfast (similar to the Holiday Inn Express style), the $249/night was acceptable (especially with the one free night). I believe its owned by natives from Soldotna and is well suited to people coming in for shopping and then going home. A few tour coaches, but mostly individual tourists and alaskans.

1 Thank LondonUnveiled
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Stayed 1 night after an Alaskan cruise before catching a flight home the next night.
The room felt like a mansion after staying in a cruise ship cabin, but the room was also much larger than the average hotel room. The hotel has lots of nice perks without the nickel and diming.
Free shuttle to local attractions, airport, train station.
The room has a gift basket with goodies and treats. The flat screen tv is great, they could use a high def signal, ok that's maybe pushing it too much, but I wouldn't be surprised if they add it soon. The King bed was very comfortable. My wife and I loved the deep soaking whirlpool tub. The bathroom was larger then our cruise ship cabin.
All in all the hotel was worth every penny. The only downers, the breakfast wasn't the greatest, it didn't matter to much. The hotel is on the south side of Anchorage, so it is a bit of a drive to Downtown or the airport, but again, nothing major.
A great stay and a great value compared to most other hotels.

• Liked — The roominess
  • Disliked — Breakfast quality of food
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple