“GREAT value for the money! Friendly staff, renovated rooms, good location”

Anchorage Uptown Suites
Ranked #52 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 27 August 2008

My husband and I stayed at Anchorage Uptown Suites for several days in August 2008 and boy are we glad we did! First off, we did extensive research in Anchorage and found most other locations were AT LEAST 30% more BEFORE taxes. We spent less here, had a large, clean, comfortable room with a kitchennette, living room and large bedroom and VERY spacious bathroom. The rooms have been recently redone and it was great! The bed was so comfortable that we didn't want to get up. The hotel is close enough to the Alaska Railroad Depot that making early train rides is a piece of cake plus the cab ride was only $5! The staff was incredibly friendly and Ilona (GM) and Sandra (night manager) went out of their way to accomodate our scheduling needs and even helped us out with a room the SAME day with just a few hours notice when our return train ride from Denali was delayed 3 hours and we would have to stay the night. We considered staying at the Hilton Anchorage, Sheraton and other big names but when we considered dollars, cents and reviews, we decided to give Anchorage Uptown Suites a chance. "Don't judge a book by its cover - isn't the fanciest BUT if you are watching out for your budget and aiming for a great value in a central location (especially if you are taking the train anywhere!), I hope you will sincerely consider this establishment.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank vitaminteee

Reviewed 23 January 2008

I can only say one word.....frumpadump for this place. Nothing is suite here especially the location which is not nice at all. In fact its located out of the downtown core and quite out of the way. The "suites" do have size but the amenities are very out of date which is reflective of the price. At this place you really do pay for what you get.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank johnklop25
Reviewed 5 August 2007

I think those reviewers that have previously written about this property don't get out much. This is a little old apartment converted to a condominium. Some of the rooms are rented on a nightly basis. It is approx 40 years old and constructed with the cheapest materials available. They have done some recent remodeling. New carpet in some units. There are really only 4 nice properties in the downtown area, The Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton (which is a bit isolated) and the Captain Cook. The problem is they are all about $300.00 per night
I would rate this hotel fair at best. We paid $150.00/night and had 4 rooms for 3 nights.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank pinsey
Reviewed 29 June 2007

I was in Anchorage on business last January. I was very pleased to discover that my room had a sweeping view of the Port of Anchorage and Knik Arm. The decor was at once contemporary and cozy. The staff were responsive and extra helpful. I enjoyed the stay in the heart of downtown where I was in the center of the city, but tucked away in a private location too. The historic quality of the hotel added to the experience.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank Katamara
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend to getaway from the kids and reconnect with one another. I couldn't believe what a find this hotel was. I have lived in Anchorage for most of my life and didn't know it was there. When we arrived at the hotel, my husband and I were greeted warmly by the general manager. When we got to our room we were blown away by how nice the room was. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to get away for the weekend. It's the perfect place for romance and peace and quiet.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lt99508
Reviewed 25 June 2007

What a find? I never knew this quaint little boutique hotel even existed. I'm so glad I found it. I'll definitely stay there the next time I'm in Anchorage. The staff was incredibly courteous and professional. The manager went out of her way to get to know my husband and I and what our needs were. When we entered our room I was stunned by the elegant decor. It was newly remodeled with granite and tile. The kitchen had new cabinets and appliances and was stocked with treats and coffee. The bathroom was equally spotless and stylish. The location was great. The next morning my husband and I enjoyed breakfast and coffee provided by the hotel, and then walked to the downtown mall. We had a wonderful stay and I look forward to returning the Uptown Suites. I feel very at home there and I know the manager will remember us, unlike some of the larger hotels we were considering.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank ashliej
Reviewed 25 June 2007

I am a Government employee and stayed at the Anchorage Uptown Suites for a couple of month till our House was ready.
If we didn't have kids we would have stayed here to finish our tour in Alaska. Nice clean suites wonderful people pet friendly and close to Elmendorf.
We checked rates before we came up here and found this place to be #1 so why pay Hotel rates when you can get a full suite for even less money.
You guys are great thank you again for making it so wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family