“Okay for the money”
Review of Puffin Inn

Puffin Inn
Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed twice on our trip for connections in and out of Anchorage. It's only okay for the money. I don't know what the rate is for the main building, but it's probably the best place to stay at this Inn. We stayed in the middle bldg - it's clean and comfortable. BUT ugh, the ciggie pots outside the doors stink to high heaven. Breakfast and coffee in the lobby is okay.

Room Tip: Ask for the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caro D
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback here on TripAdvisor, Caro! I will definitely speak to our staff about emptying the cigarette pots more frequently. I appreciate your thoughts and hope you give us another chance on your next trip to Alaska!

Till then,

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I came in on a late flight 12am. The shuttle driver and the front desk clerk were very nice,great conversation. When we arrived at the Puffin Inn it was close to 1am. We were told that we had room 1112. This room is behind the main building, not a problem but the laundry room is right there, very noisy. We opened the door and we were hit with this awful smell. At one time this was a smoking room you just can't hide that. My husband immediately went back to the front desk to ask for another room. We were given room 1212 right upstairs from 1112. Much better, clean and comfortable but still had a little of the same smell. I really think they are trying to get it in better condition. I would stay there again but would make sure to choose our room carefully. Thanks for making a bad situation better.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ebmorr
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Customer service is one of our top priorities, so I'm glad that we could put you in a room you liked better! Even though our satellite building are not as up to date as our main building, we work hard to make them all clean and comfortable. If you stay with us again, please let us know what type of room you'd like and we would be happy to accommodate you! Thanks for the feedback and I'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Be aware when making reservations at the Puffin Inn that you may end up down the street in their less than satisfactory "Chandler Inn". I was terribly disappointed when I was handed my key and told to go down the block to a small building, rather than staying in the very nicely appointed hotel that I checked into. In the Chandler, there is no elevator (heavy suitcases are to be carried up narrow stairs), and the carpets are filthy throughout. The rest of the room was modest but fine, albeit a bit noisy since the building sits on a rather busy street corner (and my room was at the back of the building...). I would recommend to them that they use whatever money they are paying the person in the puffin costume for some serious cleaning instead.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room in the hotel proper when you are making your reservation. If you are told you...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Artistlin
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

I'm disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. While the Chandler in is a bit older than our main building, we work hard to make sure the accommodations are clean and comfortable as ever. I will definitely take your advice and look into having the carpets steam cleaned. Thank you for the feedback and I hope you give us another chance on your next trip to Alaska.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the Puffin Inn for 2 nights on July 29-31. We were pleased with the lobby and our room. Both were very clean. We stayed in the newer looking part where the lobby is located. The hotel offers a free 24 hour shuttle to the airport, which helped us , because we were able to turn in our rental car a day early and the shuttle picked us up. The location of the hotel is near several resturants which helps if you dont have a car. Also has a free breakfast from 6 to 10 am, which again was very good. I really enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

Mark

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MarkS0421
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us, Mark! Great location, clean and comfortable accommodations — that's the game plan, so it's great to hear we're hitting our mark! Thanks for the feedback here on TripAdvisor and I hope you visit us again on your next trip to Alaska!

All the best,

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I should of read The trip advisor reviews before making my reservations! Yes I made my reservations via an Internet site and like the reviewers said I was placed in a sublet Inn called the Chandler Inn down the street! The room carpet was filthy and the bed was horrible and in need of replacing. I did go to the front desk and ask for another room and tree was nothing available. The front desk girl though helpful was put in a bad situation. If you read the owners responses on bad reviews she admits that she puts Internet customers in her "boutique" rooms! I have stayed in many " boutique" hotels and this inn is an insult to them! Sorry I cannot recommend this establishment!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mary S
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

I'm happy to hear that our front desk staff was helpful, but very disappointed to hear that we didn't have an open room to put you in, Mary. When guests contact us directly, we like to explain that we also have adjacent properties with rooms, however this is impossible to do in the big travel sites. Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this situation has caused you.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed there several times, it is a good hotel for travelers, close to the airport with free shuttles. You can catch the bus to the city center from the other side of the street (every 20 to 30 mins). The rooms are spacious, some a bit old but clean and practical, there is also a laundry available in the hotel. Breakfast is usually included and rather nice. The staff is quite friendly and helpful. Outside holiday season, the hotel is great value but I find it a bit expensive during holiday season.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lucioline
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

It's so great to hear that you've been a returning customer, Lucioline. Great location, friendly staff, tasty breakfast — that's our game plan, so it's great to hear that we're doing a good job! Thank you for the feedback here on TripAdvisor and we hope to see you on your next trip to Alaska!

Till then,

Reviewed 28 July 2013

The photo and write up on their web site looked and sounded what we were looking for. They just show the main part, not the other two or three buildings they reserve also. Checking in they told us she had upgraded us to another room......well it was in another much older building and needed updating desperately, chipped paint, chipped counter tops, stained carpet. If you look at the photo with two beds and a chair that is what they upgraded us to. I would certainly hate to see the room we were "upgraded from". Yes, they are convenient to and shuttle to airport, and have a freezer to hold your fish overnight. All I can say is, do not go by their photos and when they say upgrade ask what they mean? One gentleman came to desk saying the sewer had backed up in his room.

Room Tip: Ask many questions before reserving your room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

I'm glad that we were able to upgrade you, but I'm disappointed to hear that you were unimpressed by our hotel. While our new building is the most recently upgraded, we work hard to make all of our rooms clean and comfortable. I really appreciate your feedback here in TripAdvisor. If you ever come back to Alaska, I hope you'll give us another chance.