“Great location and very helpful staff!”

Puffin Inn of Anchorage
Ranked #36 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We stayed at the Puffin Inn the last night of our Alaskan vacation - they allowed us to check in a few hours early AND check out later than normal at no extra charge. We stayed in the main building on the 3rd floor where the rooms were large, clean and very comfortable. Each room had a small refrigerator and a microwave.

There is a shuttle for the airport (no charge) which you need to sign up for, but not problems getting it when we needed it. The staff is very friendly, helpful and accommodating. The hotel is ~10 min ride from the downtown area, but has some good local restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank zojmn151
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn of Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Friendly staff, comfortable accommodations, great service — that's what we're going for, so it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review here on Yelp! Next time you visit Alaska, stop in and say hello!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed in the main buiding of this hotel and it was clean and in good repair. I was told by friends that recently stayed here to stay only in the main building, not the other two buildings, which were considerably less desirable. Chico, the manager, is the best part of this hotel. He definitely knows what customer service is! He bent over backwards to accommodate us and made our short stay in Anchorage very pleasant. The bed was confortable, but softer than we like (we like a really firm bed). The worst we can say is that the only fruit available at the breakfast we canned ,in syrup--no fresh fruit. We'd stay here again as long as Chico is in charge.

Room Tip: We had a "single" room--one double or queen bed, but a very nice room with plenty of space...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elledog1944
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn of Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

We work so hard to provide all of our customers with a great experience, so I know Chico is going to be so excited to hear your compliments! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay in Anchorage. Next time you're in town, make sure to let us know.

Cheers:

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Our group of six stayed at the Puffin Inn on our way through Anchorage to our lodge fishing experience in southwest Alaska. The folks at the front desk were most pleasant and accommodating throughout the stay. We had a room on the main building's corridor. The room appeared to have been recently remodeled (since our last visit five years ago) and the beds (two queens) were very comfortable. The furniture was basic but comfortable, and the room was quiet. Other members of our group stayed in the adjoining building, and the accommodations there were not as good. The rooms had a smoky and musty smell and the fixtures were old and worn. The Inn provided a breakfast in the morning, but it consisted entirely of carbohydrates, with no protein. Although it may not sound like it, we enjoyed our stay and the price was very reasonable for lodging in Anchorage. I would recommend getting a room in the main building for greatest comfort.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jmtrout1

It's great to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating! I'm glad that you enjoyed your rooms in the main building. Even though our older buildings are not as up to date, they should be clean and comfortable. Hopefully, your friends found them that way. Thank you for your feedback here on TripAdvisor. If you're ever back in Alaska, we'd love to see you again.

Till then,

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed twice on our trip for connections in and out of Anchorage. It's only okay for the money. I don't know what the rate is for the main building, but it's probably the best place to stay at this Inn. We stayed in the middle bldg - it's clean and comfortable. BUT ugh, the ciggie pots outside the doors stink to high heaven. Breakfast and coffee in the lobby is okay.

Room Tip: Ask for the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Caro D

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback here on TripAdvisor, Caro! I will definitely speak to our staff about emptying the cigarette pots more frequently. I appreciate your thoughts and hope you give us another chance on your next trip to Alaska!

Till then,

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I came in on a late flight 12am. The shuttle driver and the front desk clerk were very nice,great conversation. When we arrived at the Puffin Inn it was close to 1am. We were told that we had room 1112. This room is behind the main building, not a problem but the laundry room is right there, very noisy. We opened the door and we were hit with this awful smell. At one time this was a smoking room you just can't hide that. My husband immediately went back to the front desk to ask for another room. We were given room 1212 right upstairs from 1112. Much better, clean and comfortable but still had a little of the same smell. I really think they are trying to get it in better condition. I would stay there again but would make sure to choose our room carefully. Thanks for making a bad situation better.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ebmorr

Customer service is one of our top priorities, so I'm glad that we could put you in a room you liked better! Even though our satellite building are not as up to date as our main building, we work hard to make them all clean and comfortable. If you stay with us again, please let us know what type of room you'd like and we would be happy to accommodate you! Thanks for the feedback and I'll look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Be aware when making reservations at the Puffin Inn that you may end up down the street in their less than satisfactory "Chandler Inn". I was terribly disappointed when I was handed my key and told to go down the block to a small building, rather than staying in the very nicely appointed hotel that I checked into. In the Chandler, there is no elevator (heavy suitcases are to be carried up narrow stairs), and the carpets are filthy throughout. The rest of the room was modest but fine, albeit a bit noisy since the building sits on a rather busy street corner (and my room was at the back of the building...). I would recommend to them that they use whatever money they are paying the person in the puffin costume for some serious cleaning instead.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room in the hotel proper when you are making your reservation. If you are told you...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Artistlin

I'm disappointing to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. While the Chandler in is a bit older than our main building, we work hard to make sure the accommodations are clean and comfortable as ever. I will definitely take your advice and look into having the carpets steam cleaned. Thank you for the feedback and I hope you give us another chance on your next trip to Alaska.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the Puffin Inn for 2 nights on July 29-31. We were pleased with the lobby and our room. Both were very clean. We stayed in the newer looking part where the lobby is located. The hotel offers a free 24 hour shuttle to the airport, which helped us , because we were able to turn in our rental car a day early and the shuttle picked us up. The location of the hotel is near several resturants which helps if you dont have a car. Also has a free breakfast from 6 to 10 am, which again was very good. I really enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

Mark

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MarkS0421
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn of Anchorage, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your brief stay with us, Mark! Great location, clean and comfortable accommodations — that's the game plan, so it's great to hear we're hitting our mark! Thanks for the feedback here on TripAdvisor and I hope you visit us again on your next trip to Alaska!