“Decent Pizza...a little slow on service.”

Uncle Joe's Pizzeria
Ranked #57 of 895 Restaurants in Anchorage
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stopped here for an evening dinner. We always like to try the little restaurants as they usually have the best food. Uncle Joe's came under that heading. The food was very good and very tasty and the prices were reasonable...for Anchorage. When we arrived, we sat for a while before the waiter came to take an order. The waiter finally came and took our drink order and returned with it quickly. It took some time for him to return to take the food order. After finishing our meal, more wasted time passed as we waited for our check. It finally came after I stopped someone who was walking by the table. The atmosphere was very good and except for the slow service, we were satisfied with Uncle Joe's.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

From reading the other reviews it appears our review will be the exception to the trend of good reviews. We were in Downtown Anchorage awaiting the departure of the train to Denali National Forest the following day. We went to Uncle Joe's and as we were entering, a family we met on the Holland America Statendam was coming out. They raved about the pizza they had and said we had picked a good place to eat. We sat down and was nearly immediately greeted by a young female server who was very pleasant. She took our drink order and delivered the drinks in a timely manner and took our order. We then ordered two 10" Pizzas and an Italian Hoggie. And here is where our nightmare began. We watched as tables in this small establishment finished their meals and new people sat down. This continued until everyone that was in the place prior to us was gone and new people had replaced then. Now here we actually counted. A full five tables came in well after us, ordered, eaten and were leaving and we STILL had no food, and had not even seen the server since the order was given. It had been over an hour at this point. My wife got up from the table and crossed the restaurant and approached our server and asked when we could expect to be served. She said it would not be long. Another 15 minutes past and still no food. Now I went and searched another employee and expressed my dissatisfaction. He said he would have the order out as fast as possible. Afer 10 minutes or so our order came out. The 'Hoggie' was some chopped up meat on some kind of flatbread and my pizza was not to my liking because it had very little pizza sauce. I knew better than to return it because I was convinced I would never see it again. I went up to the cooking pass through and asked our server on the other side for a side cup of pizza sauce for the pizza and some vinegar and oil for the sandwich. She said she would bring the pizza sauce and then handed me two bottles of viniger and oil stating 'here you put it on because I probably would do it wrong'. Her sarcastic tone was obvious but I held my temper and returned to my table. The extra pizza sauce never did come dispite the passing of yet another 15 minutes. All I wanted at this point was a check so I could get out. I had eaten only half of the flatbread thing and half of my pizza. Another couple we knew from the ship came in and sat at the table across from us. After exchanging pleasantries I offered and they accepted my half pizza and half sandwich. A gentleman who appeared to be the restaurant manager stook about 15 feet away watching with his hands on his hips in what appeared to be disapproval. I had to chase down our server yet again and asked for a check. She complied without a word and walked away. I went to the carry out cashier and asked to pay my tab. While doing so the manager followed me around as if I were trying to step out on the check. I was insulted, angry and at a point that I knew I had to leave or risk inappropriate behavior on my part. I did leave immediately with my wife without incident. This was without a doubt the WORST service I have ever received and I am pretty old and have eaten many thousands of restaurant meals within every price range. We summized later that when they were busy this whole thing started to unfold when we believe our server forgot to turn in our order. If we ever return to Anchorage this spot will NOT be on our to do list. Additionally, anyone who ever tells me they will be in Anchorage will hear this story and my recommendations to stay away.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Uncle Joe's makes a great pie! A large selection of toppings/combo pies. Crust was done just right. Subs available. Old school pizzeria. Good beer selection. Recommended for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We ordered pizza. It was great with a great crust. Many beer choices as well. Highly recommend. We will try other menu options in the future. I will definitely return

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Ate dinner. Had a slice of pizza from pizza wheel and manager offered to cook a brand-new pizza for my other slice. He also gave me samples of the draft beer so I could choose which pint I wanted. Excellent service, food and staff. Price is reasonable for downtown. Would recommend for friends and co-workers. Will try the calzone next visit. Steve