“Beware of Bear Paw’s Incompetence”
Review of Bear Paw Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Bear Paw Bar & Grill
Cuisines: American
Chicago, Illinois
“Beware of Bear Paw’s Incompetence”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I am in Anchorage for a conference and needed a quick take out bite to eat. I chose Bear Paw Bar & Grill because it was open at 8:40 pm and was one block from my hotel. The service was nearly the worst I have Ever had. When I went in, there was one waiter/ bartender and one cook. I asked if take out was offered and the waiter said yes. I sat down at a center bar table with 2 barstools and waited. Finally after about 10 minutes the waiter decided I probably needed a menu. There were a few other people at tables and one couple at the bar. I noticed after a long wait another 15 minutes that two foreign girls were sitting politely at a table with no menus, drinks or anything. They were there when I walked in. They didn’t get menus until after I finally got my order taken. This waiter Gerard [name on ticket] was useless, he could only do One thing at a time and was SLOW as molasses when he managed to do anything. I noticed food sitting under the hot lamps for a LONG time while he trudged around the restaurant stopping each time he went by the bar to sip some kind of drink he had back there. After a while the couple at the bar demanded he take payment so they could leave. He drops off my check and I quickly pull out cash to pay him, he just walks off.. By that time a few more singles came in and I noticed two to go boxes sitting on the counter.. I wondered if it was mine because it had been another 15 minutes or so since he took the order.. the boxes sat there.. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes.. I put my money on the ticket and put it down on the far side of the table so he would see it.. he didn’t stop.. he picked up one plate from the table of four.. didn’t use his other hand to pick up the money, check.. on and on,.. 20 minutes and the food is STILL sitting there.. as well as the hot food.. by that time he started chatting with one of the customers at the bar.. 5 minutes, 7 minutes, finally fed up I went over to cook and said I needed to leave and noticed the ticket on the counter matched my hot food order in the boxes, [NOT under a heat lamp either, one was a salad. ] The cook said just take the ticket to him and tell him you need to pay.. I did this since I was starving otherwise I would have walked out. finally he takes my money and says sorry for the wait.. He should have said sorry I am incompetent. Just hands the change back to me in a stack, doesn’t bother to count it back or anything. I left a dollar on the table and picked my own condiments from the wait station and he came over and asked if I needed anything else.. I got plastic fork for the salad and ketchup for the fries.. as I walked out I noticed the asian girls still had menus. The waiter charged me for a medium salad when I ordered a small. The restaurant was never busy, one competent person could have easily handled the staggered stream of customers. The food was lukewarm, obviously not the cooks fault, although he did nothing when It didn’t get picked up after nearly 20 minutes and sat there dying. When I got it back to my room food was not bad, not hot, not Great, but edible. This is the attitude of almost every waiter, service persons I have come in contact with in Alaska. Leaves me to believe that in Alaska bad service is to be expected, and workers just don’t care. I will continue to tip accordingly. I will tell everybody in my conference NOT to eat or drink at Bear Paw Bar & Grill. Pathetic display. Please do not believe the other reviews of Average service, they are being far too kind.

• Visited September 2013

Apache Junction, Arizona
“Average middle of the road”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The title sums it up. We were looking for a place for a light dinner after a business get together. Interesting from the outside and not bad when first entering. Wasn't busy so there was no wait which is not the case at better anchorage restaurants "hint". Had a burger and my wife a cup of soup. Burger was typical bar food and soup was a seafood soup that was a little salty for her taste. If you have to visit an Alaskan bar it will do but can't recommend the food as anything special.

• Visited September 2013
Caloundra, Australia
“Good food, average service.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We had pizza and halibut tacos which were both tasty. The service was lacking compared with what we have experienced previously, they seemed disinterested in the customers. Nice atmosphere and decor, old style pub. Go for the food and no the service.

Visited September 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
“A local does not recommend”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Had a burger and it was a frozen processed slab of taco bell quality beef. Bun was yummy though. Fries were mushy. Fried pickles did not even taste like a pickle. Fried mushrooms were good. Server was average and acceptable. Overall, best option would be to go to Applebee's. Don't waste your time and money.

• Visited August 2013
“Tourist trap.”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am a local in Anchorage and wanted to bring my mom somewhere different for her bday. Service was fine when we first got in ordered our drinks. I was watching them and it took forever for then just to make our drinks. When she finally brought them over she said they had to look up how to make them and mine was very strong. We ordered one plate to share and people who had ordered after us received their two plates before us! I noticed ours had been sitting under the heat lamp at least 7 minutes. There was only about ten people working in the whole place and seemed like the waitress was doing all the work. When i paid i paid half cash and half credit which they ended up later charging it all to my card after i had tipped them. My mom said thank u to the hostess as we walked out and she didn't even say your welcome. The chicken strips were good but i noticed they had bagged French fries u could purchase at Costco. I wouldn't go here again the last place Rumrunners had better made fries and i can't wait til Hard Rock Cafe replaces this location.

• Visited August 2013