“very good burgers”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Mesa, Arizona
“very good burgers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Jumped in here for late night dinner. Waitress friendly and burgers were big and taste! Kinda pricey for burgers, but then again, that's Alaska!

• Visited June 2014

Buffalo, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“unfriendly grumpy very slow service :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Went there for lunch with a 1-1/2 hr. timeframe, (between land tour and cruise), and barely made it back to our bus. Food was ok. Service was VERY slow with an average busy size lunch crowd. The bar itself has a nice atmosphere and would probably be a fun night spot watering hole. Our waitress (an older woman) was not friendly one iota. She even was grumpy at me when we were paying our bill. Not sure if she was just in a bad mood or what, but I am a very easy going person and always respectful and nice to wait-staff but I was very put-off by it all and is usually that's all it takes for me to not return. I loved chatting up waiters and waitresses in Alaska, asking where they are from and why they came to Alaska to work-but there was no chitchat this time. On a positive note, in a 2 week vacation in Alaska, this was the ONLY bad service we got! Service elsewhere in Anchorage, all of Alaksa and the Yukon was outstanding and welcoming to tourists.

Visited July 2013
Florida
“Good food, huge portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Bear Paw is about a block from the Hilton Hotel, where we were staying. This was not on the Hilton's recommended list, but should be. When you enter this restaurant you have to push through two swinging doors and into what looks like a 1900s saloon--which it probably is. Nothing fancy here, but lots of choices of beer and good food. We ate here twice during our visit to Anchorage, on our way to take a Norwegian cruise and were not disappointed. The first night we ate here placed two orders for fish and chips. That was a mistake because, the orders were huge and we could not take left-overs back to our hotel. Of course, huge is all in the eye of the beholder and we are trying to control our weight--but, one order consisted of four fish fillets with fried potatoes (won't call them French fries, because they were more the traditional "chips" you find in the UK. The cost was $15, which is reasonable at Anchorage meal prices. When we finished the meal the server asked us if we wanted to take the left-overs to-go, and we explained we were in a hotel, so could not. She said that next time we should only place one order and share it, which is what we usually do. The second night here we shared a classic club sandwich with onion rings, $11. It was plenty for both of us, not as good as the fried fish, but in a totally different category. One of our servers was Leif, who did a great job. I do not have the receipt from the fish and chips, but that server was also great.

• Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Good Family Style Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Needed to eat, looked OK, so that's what w did, 2 nights running in mid August. Good surroundings and vibrant atmosphere, shown to a table quickly and menu arrived OK. First night we had the salmon, next night the halibut, both times with vegetables and chips plus beers. We thought the bar was fine, service was fine for a bar like this. Coming from Australia the staff were keen to chat. We were told by locals the bar had either closed and reopened, or changed hands, not sure but we were happy with our meals and service. Maybe worth a try for one evening and see how it suits you. Meals weren't big, but after what we were served at Denali Back Country Lodge at $1,000 a night, this food was fine by us. Travelling in Alaska and celebrating our 50th WA we were treated to an ice cream sundae - thanks guys.

• Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Beware of Bear Paw’s Incompetence”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I am in Anchorage for a conference and needed a quick take out bite to eat. I chose Bear Paw Bar & Grill because it was open at 8:40 pm and was one block from my hotel. The service was nearly the worst I have Ever had. When I went in, there was one waiter/ bartender and one cook. I asked if take out was offered and the waiter said yes. I sat down at a center bar table with 2 barstools and waited. Finally after about 10 minutes the waiter decided I probably needed a menu. There were a few other people at tables and one couple at the bar. I noticed after a long wait another 15 minutes that two foreign girls were sitting politely at a table with no menus, drinks or anything. They were there when I walked in. They didn’t get menus until after I finally got my order taken. This waiter Gerard [name on ticket] was useless, he could only do One thing at a time and was SLOW as molasses when he managed to do anything. I noticed food sitting under the hot lamps for a LONG time while he trudged around the restaurant stopping each time he went by the bar to sip some kind of drink he had back there. After a while the couple at the bar demanded he take payment so they could leave. He drops off my check and I quickly pull out cash to pay him, he just walks off.. By that time a few more singles came in and I noticed two to go boxes sitting on the counter.. I wondered if it was mine because it had been another 15 minutes or so since he took the order.. the boxes sat there.. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes.. I put my money on the ticket and put it down on the far side of the table so he would see it.. he didn’t stop.. he picked up one plate from the table of four.. didn’t use his other hand to pick up the money, check.. on and on,.. 20 minutes and the food is STILL sitting there.. as well as the hot food.. by that time he started chatting with one of the customers at the bar.. 5 minutes, 7 minutes, finally fed up I went over to cook and said I needed to leave and noticed the ticket on the counter matched my hot food order in the boxes, [NOT under a heat lamp either, one was a salad. ] The cook said just take the ticket to him and tell him you need to pay.. I did this since I was starving otherwise I would have walked out. finally he takes my money and says sorry for the wait.. He should have said sorry I am incompetent. Just hands the change back to me in a stack, doesn’t bother to count it back or anything. I left a dollar on the table and picked my own condiments from the wait station and he came over and asked if I needed anything else.. I got plastic fork for the salad and ketchup for the fries.. as I walked out I noticed the asian girls still had menus. The waiter charged me for a medium salad when I ordered a small. The restaurant was never busy, one competent person could have easily handled the staggered stream of customers. The food was lukewarm, obviously not the cooks fault, although he did nothing when It didn’t get picked up after nearly 20 minutes and sat there dying. When I got it back to my room food was not bad, not hot, not Great, but edible. This is the attitude of almost every waiter, service persons I have come in contact with in Alaska. Leaves me to believe that in Alaska bad service is to be expected, and workers just don’t care. I will continue to tip accordingly. I will tell everybody in my conference NOT to eat or drink at Bear Paw Bar & Grill. Pathetic display. Please do not believe the other reviews of Average service, they are being far too kind.

• Visited September 2013