“Feeling hot hot hot and mean staff”

Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown
Ranked #53 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 13 July 2013

First time ever staying in one. Room was better than I expected, but the A/C is in the living room which made the bedrooms hot and difficult to sleep in even though we had it turned down as low as the A/C would go. Beds were comfortable, much better than some of the other places I stayed in Alaska. Staff is rude and inconsiderate. They say they offer late check out, but if you call down there to do it, they want to charge you for another night's stay. We needed an extra 15 min to finish packing as we were heading back home that day, and when we called they said NO! If you want to stay another minute we have to charge you for another night's stay.

There's road construction going on in the area causing delays in getting in and out of the location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tripadvise2u

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel located in Midtown Anchorage, is a great place to stay for a very reasonable price. My husband and I were very pleased with our room which you could tell had been recently renovated. The staff was very friendly at check in and check out. It was very quiet and got a good night's rest. We were on the second floor. When using the business center, the printer attached to the computer was not working. The breakfast is not much, but that is how it is advertised so that was no surprise.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel two nights, June 26 and 27, 2013. After getting what I thought was a good Priceline deal compared to other hotels in the city, I was mortified to read the reviews. I noticed the hotel website said the building was remodeled and I called to verify. I felt better knowing it had recently been updated. This is what I found:

The room we had -- 328 -- was recently painted and updated. The vanity had water damage in it and the faucet leaked and the sink drained slowly, but the rest of the room was clean and okay. We arrived late and found the bedroom to have pillows at the end of the bed rather than at the head, which made me feel like the cleaning hadn't been done. I tried calling the front desk, but couldn't get through on the bedroom phone, so I went down. I was told the room had been cleaned, but they were short of pillowcases. I was given five, so put them on myself.

The door from the hall stuck badly once it was opened with the key card, and I reported that to the front desk. Other than that, we found the place to be clean, newly painted, and had what we needed. Bring your own shampoo, though.

The shuttle: we needed a ride from the airport to the hotel the next day after dropping off our rental car. I prearranged to have the shuttle pick us up at 8:30 pm with another person who already had a reservation. We waited and waited, and I called twice before the shuttle came at 9:10pm. The next morning we again needed to be back to the airport to get our cruise transfer bus, and decided to be in the lobby before 11 for our 11:30 scheduled ride. The employee was ready to take us early and loaded our bags. That part worked out very well.

Breakfast: I was told it was a 'grab and go' breakfast and we came down too late for it (it ends at 9:30am), so we just went to the McDonalds next door. The second day, we planned for the 'grab and go' and were told that they had run out of food. No big deal. Sometimes you have to fend for yourself.

With free wi-fi, the kitchen, a clean and updated room, and friendly front desk staff (I'll admit that I had to get used to the Alaskan accent), I was pleasantly pleased at our accommodations. The long, long hallways take some getting used to, but we were placed close to the elevator.

For the price we paid, it wasn't a bad stay. The bed was comfortable and the place was what we needed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Extended Stay America in Midtown Anchorage. I'm glad that you found the staff friendly and the rooms clean for your stay. I do apologize about the pillow cases and the breakfast and will address these issues with the staff. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our room is horrible. We just checked in. Our room was propped open and someone has been using it as a smoke hole. It reeks!!! The room has only had the bathroom remodeled, and the rest is old, dingy, and just gross. We were not provided with sheets for the pull out couch (also gross) and the front desk didnt answer, so we had to go back to the desk. This is absolutely the most disappointed I have ever been with a room. FURIOUS. I can't wait to leave.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cindy H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Cindy - Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were so upset with your accommodations and found the level of cleanliness in your room to not be in line with our company's standards. I also apologize for the lack of sheets for the pull-out sofa in your room. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are working to correct these issues so guests are not affected by them in the future.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at ANC@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights about a week ago and found it acceptable and nothing special. The bed was comfortable and the linens clean, though we had to go get the rest of the towels that were missing.

The couch was stained badly, and the sleep sofa part of it was uncomfortable. We had to ask for sheets and a blanket for that, too.

In our experience, there were no offensive smells but that may have been by sheer placement luck, being in the middle on the 2nd floor. It seems pets are allowed on the first floor. Our window backed to a service road that supports the McDonald's drive-in, and with cool summer nights the windows were opened to hear the morning customers whiz by.

Staff was friendly in a routine way. Their "complimentary breakfast" was token coffee, pre-wrapped muffins and fruit.

Across the street are two outstanding restaurants, a sushi place and a pizza joint that regularly has a waiting crowd. To the west a block or two is a large movie theater.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

The entire hotel smells like cigarette smoke and dog urine. Neither the heater, nor the air conditioner worked in our room. Breakfast was a weak selection of packaged oatmeal and apples (and there were no utensils or bowls to eat the oatmeal with). This hotel is not recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Skyhawk01
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the hotel had an odor and the heater and air conditioner did not work in your room. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am using your comments to coach the staff and taking the necessary corrective actions. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at ANC@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I hate to write negative reviews but this hotel was so bad and their lack of follow-up on billing mistakes was so irresponsible, I had to make an exception.

We stayed two times for two nights each at the beginning and end of a vacation. The first two nights were okay though the room heater was always “on” and could not be turned off. No biggie. We opened the window. The free continental breakfast offered weak coffee, packaged pastries, and good apples on a table to the right of the front desk so they could keep an eye on things. Front desk personnel went through the motions of being friendly and caring if you managed to get their attention. If this was the only experience with the hotel, I'd have rated it "average."

When we checked back in a few weeks later, however, the room’s A/C was blasting and the window was wide open. The window screen was bent back and hanging from one corner as if someone had broken in but being on the third floor with no balcony, this was impossible. I turned off the A/C, re-installed the screen and we went to dinner. On the way out, we mentioned to the girl at the front desk that there were no towels in the room.

When we returned from dinner, a pile of new towels was waiting for us when we noticed the toilet was dirty with poop and pee splash from a previous occupant. We’d already unpacked and didn’t want to move to another room so my wife went to the front desk and asked if she could borrow some cleaner and rags to clean the toilet with. The girl at the front desk said she didn’t have access to cleaning supplies and insisted on moving us to another room. She also said she’d give us a $10 discount on the room for our troubles.

The new room seemed okay until we were getting ready for bed and tried to turn on the heat. Neither the baseboard heater in the bedroom or the room heater in the living room worked. We were told they didn’t have a maintenance person but we didn’t want to move again so we made due. Luckily, it was unseasonably warm and we didn’t suffer at all.

To add insult to injury, they double-billed us for the stay and rather than giving us the $10 discount, they charged us $12.50 for “additional linens”. After a few attempts, I was able to reach manager, Janelle Melcher who apologized for the double-billing and corrected it. She promised to rectify the erroneous linen charge but never did. Once again, she never returned my calls and I had to file a dispute with the credit card company.

On the positive side, parking was convenient and it’s in a good location, behind a McDonalds and close to shopping, restaurants, and a movie theater.

Room Tip: Move from room-to-room 'til you find one that's clean and working....if they exist, that is.