“Left after 5 minutes...lost 169.00”

Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown
Ranked #55 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
chicago, IL
“Left after 5 minutes...lost 169.00”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We had just finished a cruise and had a late evening flight, so we booked a room here to have somewhere to be for 8 hours, and could take a nap. The room was so disgusting, we stayed less than 5 minutes. We took a taxi back to the airport, and just sat at the airport for 8 hours. Now stop and think about it...we lost our money, and would rather sit in an airport for 8 hours than lay on their bed...can you imagine how bad their rooms are. It was the most disgusting hotel I have been to in 25 years. And the staff could care less. Book at your own peril.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jcnaperville
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Your review for our Extended Stay America hotel was recently brought to my attention. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the cleanliness of the room and the attitude of the staff. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are using your comments to correct these issues. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at anc@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have never been more disgusted by the lack of concern and care shown at this property. I was misled by Hotwire into thinking this would be a nice place and regret my visit. The list of things that were wrong with this property is so long, but even worse was the absolute lack of concern by the staff to address these issues. They are clearly so intent on saving money the property doesn't bother to try and do anything for the guests. Half my concerns weren't even remedied by the staff during my stay and a month out from my stay the management hasn't replied to my concerns either!

Stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gayle Z
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
I received a copy of your review and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the service our staff provided to you during your stay is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being coached on how to provide better customer service in the future.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at ANC@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Brooklyn, Ohio
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The remodel looks nice and adds more value to the rooms, but poor customer service can't be covered up by new paint and carpet. Instructions upon arrival inform guests that towel and linen exchange is available at the front desk. Full service is provided in rooms checked out for 8 or more days so be prepared to take out your own trash if staying less than a week (wasn't a problem for us). Only handsoap is provided in the rooms; you must get shampoo yourself from the front desk. While we had a coffee maker in our room, there were only sugar packets next to it. Pretty sure coffee was supposed to be included. When we walked into our room, we instantly noticed the crumbs on the table and the hair clip on the window curtains. I highly doubt the room was thoroughly cleaned after its last occupants vacated. If anyone stays in room 220, let me know if the clip is still there. Everything worked properly in the room so no complaints there. I think my biggest problem the hotel is with its front desk employees. They are undermanned and undertrained in their position. We waited 10 minutes to check-in and then an additional 5 after the printed broke. In between loading up for our departure, we stopped in the lobby for coffee. At 8:30am on a Saturday (July 20), 2 of the 3 pots were empty, 1 tea packet was left and no advertised muffins or fruit were available. I waited until the lady at the desk finished checking people out before requesting it to be stocked. She ignored me at first so I finished making my tea. I then asked another time at which point she drew attention to the cluttered desk, exclaiming how busy she was. WHAT?! She must've saw the look on my face because she asked for help from another employee in the back office (why didn't this happen in the first place?). I used to work in customer service so I know my expectations are not unreasonable. Clean up the act, Midtown, or you'll just keep getting negative reviews like this one.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the third floor so you won't hear noisy upstairs neighbors. Also, request a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chelsea0518
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Chelsea - The feedback provided in your review about our hotel is much appreciated. It upsets me to hear that our staff did not attend to your need properly and that your room was unclean upon arrival. I am sorry for your experience. Your comments have been reviewed, and I will use them to coach the team on how to provide better customer service in the future to make sure your experience is not repeated. As well, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and standards.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at ANC@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Made 3-night stay reservation months in advance.The week before arival I called the front desk to arrange free shuttle pickup from airport.Was told no such reservations can be made in advance.Just call from the airport; they are only 15 min away. Tried for 20 minutes to call front desk upon arrival at airport-no answer!. How can a hotel reception desk not answer the phone? Finally got some answering service to pickup my call and they advised me that reception was on break ("which they are entitled to") and to call back in an hour.I said I was at airport needing shuttle transportation to hotel.Service agent said they would email hotel. Gave up and took taxi.When we arrived at hotel,reception said that we should have made shuttle reservation!We got settled in our room and could not figure out this high pitched whining mechanical noise that would go on and off every 10 minutes. After 1 hr of hearing this noise while settling in and relaxing after 12 hrs of flight travel, I went down to the reception desk to share with them that "something isn't working; it is making this whining sound." They said that our room was right over the laundry room and 1 of the machines makes this noise. Oh, and they DO the laundry throughout the day AND night. So, we asked for another room. They were not happy with our request. Eventually we finally accepted the FOURTH room as the first three alternative rooms either did not have AC working, and/or no window screens,whining dog next door,next to elevator or busy street. The room we finally accepted had no screens on one set of windows,minimal bath towels available,stained and soiled sofa (disgusting), bed pillows like 100% hard rubber, (bed itself was ok),kichen lights hanging from ceiling,no working icemaker,minimally supplied kitchen with no dish soap,teeny, tiny closet.The room we eventually took did not have iron/board like some of the others.Brkfast was granola bars,packaged muffins and apples/oranges.We made shuttle reservation for first in am for the next day to return to airport to pickup rental car.We arrived in lobby before shuttle began its day schedule to find that it had just left to pick someone up at the airport!It seems that the reservation for this trip was only entered by the staff into one and not a second place.Unbelievable.Continue to stay at place because it was convenient for us + we were too tired to change hotels.Place very shabby and in ill repair-and those are the "remodeled rooms.".So much for their remodeling.Am surprised hotel met construction/safety standards.Staff was nice, but incompentent.Played hard during the day so we were too tired at night to care. Slept without pillows.No way would we recomment this place. Would not expect any difference for sister hotel downtown.

Room Tip: just don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank R B
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at out hotel. I sincerely apologize that there was a mix-up for the shuttle timing when you arrived and departed for the airport. In response to this feedback, I have spoken with our shuttle staff member and am working with them to improve our procedures. As well, I am very sorry that three out of the four rooms we tried to provide you with did not meet your expectations. To ensure this does not happen again our housekeeping staff is focusing on providing better cleaning services moving forward. Lastly, I am disheartened to read that you did not enjoy our grab-and-go breakfast. This is a new feature, so as we continue to enhance it, we will definitely keep your feedback in mind.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at ANC@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Wapakoneta, Ohio
Reviewed 13 July 2013

First time ever staying in one. Room was better than I expected, but the A/C is in the living room which made the bedrooms hot and difficult to sleep in even though we had it turned down as low as the A/C would go. Beds were comfortable, much better than some of the other places I stayed in Alaska. Staff is rude and inconsiderate. They say they offer late check out, but if you call down there to do it, they want to charge you for another night's stay. We needed an extra 15 min to finish packing as we were heading back home that day, and when we called they said NO! If you want to stay another minute we have to charge you for another night's stay.

There's road construction going on in the area causing delays in getting in and out of the location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tripadvise2u
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel located in Midtown Anchorage, is a great place to stay for a very reasonable price. My husband and I were very pleased with our room which you could tell had been recently renovated. The staff was very friendly at check in and check out. It was very quiet and got a good night's rest. We were on the second floor. When using the business center, the printer attached to the computer was not working. The breakfast is not much, but that is how it is advertised so that was no surprise.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Bonney Lake, WA
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel two nights, June 26 and 27, 2013. After getting what I thought was a good Priceline deal compared to other hotels in the city, I was mortified to read the reviews. I noticed the hotel website said the building was remodeled and I called to verify. I felt better knowing it had recently been updated. This is what I found:

The room we had -- 328 -- was recently painted and updated. The vanity had water damage in it and the faucet leaked and the sink drained slowly, but the rest of the room was clean and okay. We arrived late and found the bedroom to have pillows at the end of the bed rather than at the head, which made me feel like the cleaning hadn't been done. I tried calling the front desk, but couldn't get through on the bedroom phone, so I went down. I was told the room had been cleaned, but they were short of pillowcases. I was given five, so put them on myself.

The door from the hall stuck badly once it was opened with the key card, and I reported that to the front desk. Other than that, we found the place to be clean, newly painted, and had what we needed. Bring your own shampoo, though.

The shuttle: we needed a ride from the airport to the hotel the next day after dropping off our rental car. I prearranged to have the shuttle pick us up at 8:30 pm with another person who already had a reservation. We waited and waited, and I called twice before the shuttle came at 9:10pm. The next morning we again needed to be back to the airport to get our cruise transfer bus, and decided to be in the lobby before 11 for our 11:30 scheduled ride. The employee was ready to take us early and loaded our bags. That part worked out very well.

Breakfast: I was told it was a 'grab and go' breakfast and we came down too late for it (it ends at 9:30am), so we just went to the McDonalds next door. The second day, we planned for the 'grab and go' and were told that they had run out of food. No big deal. Sometimes you have to fend for yourself.

With free wi-fi, the kitchen, a clean and updated room, and friendly front desk staff (I'll admit that I had to get used to the Alaskan accent), I was pleasantly pleased at our accommodations. The long, long hallways take some getting used to, but we were placed close to the elevator.

For the price we paid, it wasn't a bad stay. The bed was comfortable and the place was what we needed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Extended Stay America in Midtown Anchorage. I'm glad that you found the staff friendly and the rooms clean for your stay. I do apologize about the pillow cases and the breakfast and will address these issues with the staff. Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.