“not fancy but good enough”

Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown
Ranked #55 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Providence, Rhode Island
“not fancy but good enough”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel last Sep for one night. I just needed to sleep as I am getting out early next morning and this hotel served great given that it was cheap (about $60). The breakfast was minimal and not that good. Overall I was satisfied with the stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank prior c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kodiak, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I travel to Anchorage frequently from Bush Alaska. Two years ago I stayed here to have foot surgery, and the heat didn't come on at all. It was September, and it was cold. The front desk was no help, the 800 number was no help, and when I finally talked to management somewhere they only gave me two nights in compensation they said I did not need the heat the other two nights. Remember I had just had surgery I was on crutches if I did not have friends in Anchorage who brought me a space heater I guess I would have just been cold. OK so I stayed there LAST NIGHT. I checked in and the first room was 87 degrees. I went down and got another room but it was still too warm and the heat was on and there was no way to turn it off. I opened the window but I was about 30 feet from a McDonalds drive in you can imagine how loud it was. I will never ever stay here again. Never.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ew F

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I visited with my family at the height of summer tourist season. We were allowed to make a room switch at the front desk because the bed size was incorrect. When we finally saw our room, I couldn't believe the dilapidated state of the furniture!! The bed - fine. The " leather" recliner: fine. The kitchen: missing cabinet knobs here and there, but ok. The pull-out sofa: worn with holes and tears to the point that the wood support frames were showing. You were literally sitting on a wood frame! It didn't want to go near it, and was appalled at the hotel's lack of concern that their guests were paying nearly $200 a night for shabby accommodations. I asked the front desk if there were any rooms available with a decent couch, and he said the rooms with "updated couches" were sold out. I asked for a discount on my room and he refused because I paid through Orbitz, which is bull. At any rate, NOT staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Enshane
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

• Stayed June 2013
Twentynine Palms, CA
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The first night we arrived there was no hot water. It took 3 days before the water heater was fixed. The room heater uses the hot water heater also so we did not have heat in the room also. There was not dial tone on the room phone and the digital readout on our room thermostat does not display numbers. Front desk said they will send someone to fix it however, we were there for 5 days and no one came over to fix our issues. Breakfast was bare bone.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sgsuites
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This place was recommended to us by the local Veterinary hospital because it was across the street and they allowed pets. First of all we have been in hotels in the UK, NZ, Australia, Canada, and the US and never had we come across this situation: Our CC was charged on check-in. The manager said she has worked for 12 different hotel chains and this was standard practice. We didn't want to argue to point with her. Every hotel we've stayed at, has always charged the CC on check-out after asking if we want to use the original CC or different. Because of this, we were charged 3 times for our stay on 2 different cards. It took over a hour to straighten most of it out. We are still waiting for one of the charges that was reversed (so they say) to show up. We started a charge dispute with the bank on this. We weren't the only guest that had this problem. Wife overheard another guest complaining about daily charges that maxed out her CC.

As for the room, it was clean and the bed was fine. My wife hated the couch (leather) as it was uncomfortable. The toilet seat was broken on one side and pinched when it was used. Room service (cleaning) was only done once a week, so our room was never cleaned. Had to ask for clean towels every time. The bathtub was very noisy (creaking) while in use. It's as if it was not sealed to the floor. My wife tried to use the phone to call the front desk, but it would not connect.

On the second day, the fire alarm went off late in the afternoon, we got dressed, got the dog and went out side. After 5 minutes it stopped. No fire trucks? Went to the office to ask and they said "Oh it was a test." There was no warning for it at all. There were notices up for a fire alarm test for the day before and earlier in the day, but that never happened. Unbelievable!

Also encountered quite a few drunk guests at all hours at this hotel. There was no restaurant that I observed only a room service menu 800 phone number.

Some staff were helpful in trying to fix things but the outcome was not to our liking. Cleaning staff had personalities of rocks. Not very friendly. Needless to say we will never stay at an Extended Stay America again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike E
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Staff was unhelpful. Reservations were not honored. No hot water and staff lied to us concerning when it would be fixed and how many DAYS it would take. Hotel rooms are nice, but service was horrible.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family