“Not too bad in a pinch...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown

Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown
Ranked #56 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Brookings OR
“Not too bad in a pinch...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I was in Anchorage for a family medical emergency and this place was about all I could find close to hospital unless I wanted to spend tons of $$. My room was clean, mostly everything worked great, the bed comfortable.

My only complaints would be: you'd go to the front desk area every morning 8ish & they'd be out of coffee, there would be all sorts of people waiting around for it! Come on! They should keep ay least 2 big thermal pots going non stop.

Room was always too hot. I'd just turn the heat off & crack the window (it was -7 outside)

They couldn't extend my stay with a phone call so I went to front desk to do so. The grumpy woman that helped me took forever to add some days to my stay. I was there at least a half hour (no exaggeration). I couldn't believe it took so long!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Fairbanks, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I've stayed in some dive hotels before but nothing compared to this place. The non-smoking rooms smelled as though someone had just finished a cigarette in them, we couldn't sleep for all the inebriated "guests" yelling and screaming at one another. Half the kitchen appliances didn't work. The place was filthy. The Heat could only be controlled by opening windows which led to listening to more drunken chaos outside the window as apparently this is was the congregation spot for every drunk in the hotel while smoking. All for over $100 a night. Don't waste your money here. Spend $10 more a night a stay in a real hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Sitka, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I had made arrangements to stay at the Extended Stay Midtown in Anchorage through Priceline for the 20th of November.
I had planed to fly in that night and stay at the Best Western until the next day.
Unfortunately the weather was bad in Sitka where I live and my flight was canceled.
I called to cancel my doctor’s appointment for the next day along with any reservations I had until I could make another appointment.
When I called the Extended Stay Midtown that night I explained that my flight had been canceled and I wanted to know if I could call back the next day to confirm my next appointment since I would need a room anyway.
The lady that night said no problem that I was in the system.
When I called back the next day I talked to a lady who said she was the manager and explained to her my circumstances.
She said I don’t know who you talked to but they didn’t know what they were doing.
At this point I’m thinking how many different people are there at the desk at that time of night, but there must be a lot since she couldn’t figure out who talked to me.
As a manager you should know all of your employees and the times they work because that’s your job!
So after she had explained that since I bought the room through Priceline that she didn’t have to honor my request.
I told her that it was more in line with an act of God and that I wasn’t just changing or canceling a room, she said it didn’t matter and I had better just talk to Priceline to get my money back.
Of course Priceline wasn’t going to do that but she could have given me a room that I had already paid for but wasn’t willing to budge.
I did receive a call from the same person after writing a personal review and she said that if I would call her back that she would explain to me what has occurred and take care of this problem.
I opted out of that because I didn’t want to hear the same thing she had told me before and still not get the room I paid for because of their guidelines.
The thing is I’ve never stayed at this hotel so I couldn’t give a review on rooms but judging by the way my fellow Alaskan handled this I would never stay there.
Could she have altered my original request “of course” its winter here and not an abundance of people standing in line for hotels.
In the end if you want good feedback from customers sometimes you have to treat them like people instead of just a phone call or information on a computer screen.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank A H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Midtown, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
I'm truly sorry for what occurred the evening you flight was cancelled. I'm also very concerned about the information you received from my guest service representative. I’m sure the manager you spoke with the following day was trying to state what the policy is for third party bookings. The policy with third party bookings, like Priceline, is any changes or cancellations must be made with them directly. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Our present and future guest are very important to us. If there is anything I can help you with on your next visit to Anchorage please reach out to me anytime, ANC@extendedstay.com .
Anaheim, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

reservations online is flawless. check in is great. thats about it! you wanna make an extension for your stay? good luck. I had to check out and check in the same day just to get an extension, as in get out before 11 and haul all your stuff out of the hotel and then come back at 3 pm to check in. The daytime manager has not guest relations skill. Although some of the desk staff are really friendly but some are really unskilled.

I almost forgot. the thermostat in the room is at full heat. First time I entered the room it was in the 80's. the heater is always on and temp cant come down, it was set to cold but heat still radiates. called it in but nobody fixed it. To make it work I had to crack the windows open a bit to let cold air in.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a hotel with kitchen, this is the only choice you have. You are at their merc...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank fleissman
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

I've stayed at this hotel last Sep for one night. I just needed to sleep as I am getting out early next morning and this hotel served great given that it was cheap (about $60). The breakfast was minimal and not that good. Overall I was satisfied with the stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank prior c
Kodiak, Alaska, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I travel to Anchorage frequently from Bush Alaska. Two years ago I stayed here to have foot surgery, and the heat didn't come on at all. It was September, and it was cold. The front desk was no help, the 800 number was no help, and when I finally talked to management somewhere they only gave me two nights in compensation they said I did not need the heat the other two nights. Remember I had just had surgery I was on crutches if I did not have friends in Anchorage who brought me a space heater I guess I would have just been cold. OK so I stayed there LAST NIGHT. I checked in and the first room was 87 degrees. I went down and got another room but it was still too warm and the heat was on and there was no way to turn it off. I opened the window but I was about 30 feet from a McDonalds drive in you can imagine how loud it was. I will never ever stay here again. Never.

Room Tip: Don't stay here at all.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ew F
North Pole, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I visited with my family at the height of summer tourist season. We were allowed to make a room switch at the front desk because the bed size was incorrect. When we finally saw our room, I couldn't believe the dilapidated state of the furniture!! The bed - fine. The " leather" recliner: fine. The kitchen: missing cabinet knobs here and there, but ok. The pull-out sofa: worn with holes and tears to the point that the wood support frames were showing. You were literally sitting on a wood frame! It didn't want to go near it, and was appalled at the hotel's lack of concern that their guests were paying nearly $200 a night for shabby accommodations. I asked the front desk if there were any rooms available with a decent couch, and he said the rooms with "updated couches" were sold out. I asked for a discount on my room and he refused because I paid through Orbitz, which is bull. At any rate, NOT staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013