“great place to rent lenses”

Stewart's Photo Shop
Anchorage Summer Sunset Photo Safari
Boston, Massachusetts
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“great place to rent lenses”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I arrived in Alaska & a week into my stay regretted not renting a longer lens. Stewart's to the rescue! They responded quickly to my email and were able to meet my needs. Friendly service. Costs more than if I had planned ahead, but I have no regrets, great bear close-ups to enjoy as a result. Also picked up a filter to replace the one I broke.I saw that they also offered photo tours, but didn't take advantage of it. Location couldn't be better - right across the street from the visitor center. You'll likely pop in there anyway; why not cross the street and see what Stewart's has to offer?

Visited June 2014

Anchorage, Alaska
“Owner Not Interested In Your $$$$”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have been shopping at Stewart's Photo since 1973. I have purchased Olympus, Canon, Fuji, photo developing supplies, in fact everything one could purchase related to photography. Unfortunately It has slowly deteriorated into a big empty space inside, most of the photo products gone. It has gone through at least three owners. The latest owner is completely ignorant when it comes to customer service and doesn't have the slightest idea on how to grow a business.

The service has slowly disintegrated also. I found myself going in there less and less as time went on.
The last time I went in, it was right before closing, there were chairs everywhere, blocking the aisle where I needed to look at the camera bags. I was in there for a few minutes when an employee came to help when I called him. While he was helping me, the owner came up to me and showed me his watch, pointed at it with his finger and said "do you know what time it is?" and "you will have to leave, it is after 6 pm (6:01pm to be exact) I am going start a "photography class".
The owner needs to get his priority's straight, either he has a photo shop open until it states or close it down and run a photo school. He had blocked all the open areas with chairs and other teaching media making it hard to even see the goods.

Do you think he cares that he lost another customer? One who has faithfully supported it for 41 years? No.

He does not offer any price advantage, in fact some items cost up to double (filters for example). The service isn't anything to shout about.

You can shop online from home, save money, no hassle with trying to park downtown (it is a long process to find parking near this store). Why shop there?

Visited April 2014
Madison, South Dakota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stewart's Photo saved my life experience of "Living the American Dream".”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I am newly retired and a full time RVer. I had traveled across the U.S. and Canada before arriving and spending 4 months in ALaska. I used 4 different digital Cameras as well as an iPad & iPhone. I experienced all kinds of issues with all of them and my pictures were very poor. I stopped at Stewart's Photo Shop to possibly by a new camera due to my frustrations. I was embarrassed to say I was a photography 30 yrs ago. The technology has change so much on these newer digital cameras, us older folks can't figure how to use them. Thank God for the staff at Stewart't. They spent hours and hours with me on 3 different days. They all are very knowledgable and have lots of experience with phot equipment & photography. Them checked my cameras and reset the settings. They took time and had patients explaining the cameras and how to use them. They never tried to sell me anything. Only thing they did was give me good old fashion help for free. You don't get that anywhere, anymore in America or Canada. The changes in my pictures were spectacular. Stewart's truly save my American Dream and restored my faith in customer service. At least in Alaska. Thank you all at Stewart's for all the time & help. Note: I did return in Sept. and bought an Olympus Tough which was priced lower than online and in other stores. And it came with two hours of free instruction and lots of tips you couldn't get else where.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Jocko04
Greencastle, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Shop”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I went into the store with a little hesitation due to a few bad reviews, I was pleasantly surprised by the Great customer service that I received. I dealt with Matt and Jeremy, they both went out of their way to assist me even though they didn't sell my camera. They even offered to research my camera to do a sensor clean. Great job Guys!!!!!

Andrew W.