“Large Market Downtown”

Anchorage Market & Festival
Ranked #27 of 229 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: 2017 is the 26th season for the Anchorage Market & Festival in our home at 3rd & E Street in downtown Anchorage. It was first established in 1992 as the Anchorage Downtown Saturday Market, and consisted of about two dozen vendors with an emphasis on fresh Alaska Grown produce. The mission of the market was "To provide a conveniently located family oriented open-air Market for Alaska residents and visitors to shop and enjoy Alaska's beautiful summer season while creating economic opportunities for local citizens and businesses." From its beginnings through the 1998 Season the "Saturday Market" was operated by the Anchorage Parking Authority. In 1999, the Anchorage Parking Authority issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the management of the Market and this was awarded to its current manager, Webb's Consulting and Management Services, Inc. of Anchorage. Under the management of Webb's Consulting the Market grew and flourished into what it is today, one of the largest and most successful open-air weekend Markets of its kind in the United States. Eighteen weekends starting in mid-May and ending in mid-September constitute our season so that we provide the Anchorage community and visitors with a summer weekly attraction and family event suitable for the enjoyment of adults and children of all ages without charging for admission. During the 2017 season, more than 300 vendors will fill our booths to offer Alaska's largest variety of products, including unique handmade arts, crafts and gifts by Alaskan artisans, collectibles, furs, jewelry, fresh produce, a wide variety of foods to eat at the market or take home and so much more! But shopping is only part of the Anchorage Market & Festival's appeal. Our Main stage provides continual entertainment during operating hours of 10AM to 6PM on Saturdays and 10AM to 5pm on Sundays while buskers (street entertainers) perform in the area by headquarters and in the aisles throughout the market. Our 30 food booths make us Anchorage's largest restaurant with the most diverse and exciting menu in town. However, food and shopping are 2nd and 3rd on the pollster's results as the reason to visit Anchorage Market & Festival. People (and dog) watching, along with the general ambiance of the place are way out in 1st place with market-goers. The Anchorage Market & Festival has become a very special event and destination for many locals and visitors, and plays a very important role in our community. Counts by consultants and staff show that more than 600,000 people attended the market last season and more are expected this season, an astonishing 30,000-40,000 visitors per week. Considering Anchorage's population of about 300,000, this is a truly amazing number!
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The market is both Saturday's and Sunday's in downtown Anchorage. We went Sunday morning and there were so many booths! It reminded me of our city festivals at home. There is food too. The booths are all Alaskan trinkets, gifts, food, and drink. Easy parking right across the street ($1 per hour).

Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is a wonderful little place full of things that are a sampling of the culture there. You will hear music, find interesting and delicious things to eat. It is a very affordable place to buy souvenirs. Not to mention, entrance into the market is free!

1  Thank RHealan
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I've got to admit that I'm very selective about markets. I am a true market fan. So, although I enjoyed the Downtown Saturday Market in Anchorage I think this market has greater potential. So, I'm hopeful that it will grow and develop more over the years. What did I enjoy? I loved all of the food - halibut bites, reindeer sausage, great looking ice cream. I loved the booths of local produce. I also loved all of the jewelry and other crafts. There is a lot of creativity in the market and it's great to see the work of local artists, and see how ready they are to talk to visitors about what they create. I bought a pink and green metallic 'Moose in Drag' ornament that could only have been created by an artist who can take the moose motif to a whole new level, and that can only happen in Alaska. Thank you also for the plentiful picnic tables and generous bathrooms that keep you comfortable and at the market for hours. And the street signs in the market are a nice - and unique touch. Most markets don't think to put street signs within the market!

What did I not like? There are lots of souvenirs to buy in the market, and that's not a problem except that they are all the same souvenirs available in the nearby stores - at about the same prices. So, that was a little discouraging. Also, overall there wasn't a lot of variety in the market, and prices seemed, well pricey. That might just be the going rates in Anchorage but I would hope for more variety the next time I visit. As I said, I think this market has a lot of potential and I'd love to see it again in 1-2 years.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We check out the market when we visit Anchorage and there is considerable variety of handcrafted items, photos, knives, beaded things and various carvings. Plenty of choice in an outdoor setting to spend money on!!

This year we found a great booth - Chugach chocolates - with some outstanding flavors! The chocolate quality is wonderful - silky dark chocolate was well worth the price! The habanero dark chocolate was exactly what we have been looking for for ages - just hot enough to balance the wonderful chocolate. Will definitely be going back for more!!

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stop by and try the birch candy and birch syrup. Yum. I grew up with 3 huge birch trees in my front yard never knew the syrup was so delicious. Then stop in at the birch syrup place near Talkeetna and take so home.