“Horse rides, A great way to explore alaska”
Review of Turnagain Trails

Turnagain Trails
Ranked #52 of 82 Tours in Anchorage
Reviewed 3 July 2005

Turnagain Trails located in Anchorage Alaska.
My husband and I were looking for something different to do in Anchorage. We thought a horse trek into the state park would be a nice idea. When we contacted Patrick, we learned we could do an overnight trip. He provides the tents, sleeping bags, and all the meals. He even provided the transportation to and from our hotel. All we had to do is show up with personal items:hats, gloves, bug spray, sun lotion, camera, and in our case some rain gear.
I had been on a horse quite a few times before but my husband had only been riding once in his life. So don't let lack of experience keep you away. All you need is a sense of adventure.
We left on Monday into the mountains. It took us around 5 hours to get to our camp site. 1/2 way there we stopped for a break and a snack. We had a wonderful view of Anchorge. Patrick will stop as often as you want to take pictures or just to give your saddle a rest. There really is no rush and that is what makes this such a fantastic trip. We arrived at the camp site. We set up our tent right next to a happily bubbling stream. Meanwhile, while we were off exploring, our guide set up the stove/cooking area. He had hot chocolate ready for us when we returned. For dinner we had prime rib and salmon. I didn't expect such a feast on a pack trip but YUM.
The next morning we did a bit more exploring on horseback. The mountain scenery was breath taking. We saw mountain goats, moose, ptarmagan, even a bear. It was just fantastic. I hated breaking down camp to head back to the city.
Turnagain trails also has short rides, 1/2 day rides, and all day rides. His prices might be more than you are expecting but his trips are well worth it. If you can do the overnight pack trip, I highly recommend it.

9  Thank Tarlea