“Affordable Choice”

Ranked #11 of 127 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Affordable Choice”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This B&B is 1 mile from the downtown area of Anchorage. It is VERY affordable for Anchorage and has GREAT breakfast and comfortable enough rooms. They also have bikes that they rent out for free to their guests!The housing is not glamorous at all, but VERY clean. Bottom line, if you are looking for comfortable and affordable place to stay, this is your place. If you want a ton of charm you may want to look elsewhere. Price was important to me and this did the trick!

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
tstimson, Owner at Walkabout Town B&B, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
So kind of you to write such a positive review... I do want to make one correction...we are 10 blocks from downtown which is a 15 minute walk, for most folks. We have two buses that pass by our home every half hour to and from downtown.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We only stayed 1 night and unfortunately had an early morning train to catch so didn't spend much time there. Stayed in the Russian room, large bed and wardrobe, but I didn't find a hairdryer. Bathroom set up a little odd, the bedroom has it's lockable door then you go out of the room to the bathroom which ic next door...it's private so noone else can use it, but not en suite. However everything was clean, good shower with lots of hot water.
We were offered a lift to the train station the next morning and as we were missing breakfast, we were given breakfast bags which were great and contained eggs, bagels, juice etc...
Location good, only a 10 min walk from main shopping streets etc.

• Stayed June 2011
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Big thanks to Terry, Sandy, and Linda for helping me feel at home so easily!
I really felt like I was staying at a friends house.
I loved being able to walk, bike (they provide bikes and helmets) or bus to the downtown area and the greenbelt just a block away. I even saw a moose right by the road next to the house!
It was great having a kitchen to cook all my meals to keep me well fueled during my busy conference schedule. And it was nice they offer washer and dryer right in the house for guests to use. The first night I could hear the TV in the living room next to my room, but luckily I had earplugs. I was lucky to have the whole house to myself for the last few nights.
I will stay here again if I need a place in Anchorage!!!

Room Tip: the rooms on the back of the house seem quieter
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Loomis, California
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Our family of four (Dad, Mom and two teenage sons) stayed at the Anchorage Walkabout Town in July 2010. We, and another family of two, traveled to Anchorage for a 4 day, 3 night Boy Scout canoeing/fishing trip. We selected this B&B since they were able to accomodate both families and all of our gear. While everyone in our group stayed at the Walkabout Town the first and last nights of the trip, I (Mom) stayed the entire week. What a great find! This family-run B&B is in a convenient location, is clean and well maintained, the hosts are helpful and knowledgable about Anchorage and Alaska, and they serve a wonderful breakfast. Since my stay was longer than most, I experienced staying in two different rooms which were just right, met folks from all over the world, and enjoyed the breakfast each morning. The Anchorage Walkabout Town was everything we needed. We want to thank the Stimson family for their help and warm hospitality.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelisfun95650
karkur
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Last summer, on June, we spent 3 warm nights at your beautiful place.
Two nights before our kayaking trip, and one after it.
I loved your place, your breakfast, your hospitality, the warm family.
I felt at home and sure will come back to stay with you in our next trip.
Avigail Dror
Israel

• Stayed June 2010
tstimson, Owner at Walkabout Town B&B, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
Thank you for the wonderful review. We particularly enjoy international guests participating in our breakfast table conversations.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My wife and I really enjoyed our time at the Walkabout Town B&B and our time in Anchorage. The accommodations were everything we needed and the morning breakfasts we awesome. We also got the chance to roll around Anchorage on the great mountain bikes they provide. Best of all, Terry was very kind enough to drive us to the train station in the early morning twice during our stays. We found both Terry and Sandy to be very kind and excellent ambassadors of Anchorage, and would highly recommend the Walkabout Town B&B.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Lany, Czech Republic
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed twice at this B+B - in the middle and in the end of our trip to Alaska. We had two different rooms which varied quite a lot in size. First the Russian Room which was actually in the basement with just a small window looking underneath the outside stairs, the second time in the Piano Room which was much nicer and comfortable. It had an independent entrance from the outside - the last night someone entered our room without knocking the door (though we were quite sure we had locked it) saying "oh sorry I thought my friend is staying here". Really strange. We did not complain to the guests but only because it was our last day in Alaska so we did not really bother.
Overall, I cannot be so enthousiastic about this B+B like other reviewers. It was clean, the breakfast was regular, but the atmosphere was kind of... how to put it... artificially friendly. Actually we felt much better and much more welcome in all the other B+Bs we visited in Alaska. I can recommend it but I guess there can be a better deal in town...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
tstimson, Owner at Walkabout Town B&B, responded to this review, 9 December 2010
Of course we are disappointed with "not so enthusiastic..." feeling like their experience did not match the majority of our other guests. We were pleased that you rated us high in cleanliness and indicated that you would recommend our B&B.

Security is very important to us, so each room has a lock and each guest is given a key so no one could mistakenly walk in when the door is locked.

You complained about being in the basement with a little window. Our home sits on a hillside so we have one side as the first floor of the house with walk in entry. The small window in the Russian Room is normally a plus during the long summer days since most of our guests prefer to keep the room dark.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We know most of our guests will only visit Alaska one time so we want to make our part of your stay a positive memorable experience.