“First impressions count”

Ranked #59 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Sydney, Australia
“First impressions count”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We expected to be picked up by shuttle as advertised, however none arrived at the airport.
We got a cab into the city and delivered to the hotel.
We got to the door and no sign of reception - you have to go down a flight of stairs to get there with your luggage.
The receptionist was extremely officious and unhelpful. Apparantly there is only one person on the desk and they also drive the shuttle - you have to call from the airport to get them to pick you up, and then there is no one left on the front desk, so any poor person left waiting the 45 mins or so for the round trip to the airport just has to wait.
There is no elevator, so if you're on the top floor, you have to carry your luggage up as no service.
The room is dark and kitch, the window winder is broken so you have no option but to have an open window, which I guess isn't too bad as it's very hot inside and no thermostat control.
The bathroom is no bigger than a closet, and you have to squeeze through between the sharp bathroom bench and shower screen to get into the shower.
If the initial service wasn't so bad, this review would have been kinder.

Room Tip: Just don't book.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MissT603

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Nome
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have been staying at Anchorage hotels for over thirty years. This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in-- anywhere. The very old building was poorly soundproofed-- inside and with regard to outdoor noise. The windows were old, wood-framed, decaying models that did not seal out the noise of traffic. The bathroom was old and dingy and not very clean-- there seemed to be black scum in the track that the shower door slid back and forth in. The old carpet on the bedroom floor was filthy-- I was very glad that I remembered to bring a pair of flip flops. The smell of artificial fragrances throughout the building was so potent that is was offensive-- clearly a cover-up for lack of real cleanliness.
Adding insult to injury was the price-- at $222 per night, it was WAY too expensive, even by Anchorage summer-rate standards.
I would not recommend this place to anyone, for any reason.

Room Tip: If you had to stay there, the top floor might be quieter. We were on the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Margaret T

Travellers are raving about these Anchorage hotels

Clayton, California
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The customer service was beyond phenomenal. The rooms were fairly priced...small rooms, but not a bad deal if you just need a place to stay while you check out the area. They have free shuttle service to the airport and back, made staying here very convenient. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale AZ
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed at the Anchorage Downtown Hotel for two nights in August 2013. For the price we paid (222/night) and the room were given, I don't think I can recommend it. A better room or price would have improved palatability.
The good:
The best Wi-Fi I have ever had in a hotel. That was pretty spiffy for a pair of internet addicts.
The free breakfast was nice, and changes day to day, so you didn't have to eat the same thing each day. Fruit, bread, muffins, OJ, bagel, cereals, coffee. Slightly better than the plain old cold Danish and coffee.
Rooms have small frigs and a coffee maker. Our room also had a thermostat, others have said they did not.
Staff was pleasant to deal with.
Free shuttle to airport was very helpful.
Free parking during the summer season.
Some have complained about the location- I don't see it. Yes, it is not right in the thick of things, but we had no problem walking over to the downtown area when we wanted to. We did not feel unsafe in the locale. Anchorage is laid out in a grid system downtown with streets numbered on one axis and lettered on the other, so it was super easy to find anyplace you wanted to go.
The bad:
Stairs. No matter where you stay, you will take at least a flight of stairs (8-10). There were two (I think) rooms down in the basement, where we stayed. The rest of the rooms are upstairs. There is no ground floor at all. Now this is not necessarily a huge issue, but by the time I got to Anchorage my bag weighed over 50 pounds and was NOT fun to drag up and down the stairs. There was no bell service to my knowledge. So this is not for you if you have mobility issues. Do not book a room here.
Bathroom : Ours was too sparse. There was a sink (with decent hair dryer), a toilet with a basket containing shampoo and bar soap- nothing else, and a stall shower. Shower was an old type of molded shower with a seat, which was nice, and old no slip runners on the floor. The shower was dinged and tired looking. That wouldn't have been a big deal, but the temperature control was a nightmare. You seemed to have two choices, icy and scalding. I kind of suspect when the other guests flushed it affects the temp of your shower. Anyway, the ceiling of the bathroom is dotted with yucky green smudges. When I noticed them in the shower I assumed they were the result of a shampoo accident. But later I notice they are all over the ceiling, so I don't know... Anyway, it did not seem to be an overly clean room. We know the room had been cleaned before we got there, because we were choking on Lysol fumes for the first hour or so. But my biggest complaint about the bathroom was there were no hooks, no shelves, nothing for you to place things on or hang a bathroom bag. There is ample room in there for it, but there was nothing. Perhaps that is a project for the long winter? It was irritating as the sink area was very small, and the room was designed for 4 people. It really needs some shelves.
The room itself... Our room was a long room with two queen beds in it, separated by a wall dividing the room in half. One side has the closet, which is in the half wall (horizontally, not vertically). the other half has a large table and overstuffed chair. There were no bed side tables at all. There was a frig and coffee maker. My sister plugged her phone into one of the outlets only to discover the next morning that there was no power to that plug. The carpet is old and gross and torn where the two sides meet. Each half room had an overhead light. There were no bedside lights at all, I suppose since there was no where to place them due to the lack of tables. The television was mounted on the wall. I think it could perhaps pivot between the two beds, but we never turned it on or found out. There was a wall mounted phone. There was a really old sprinkler in the room, but alarmingly no smoke detector I could see. It may have been on my sisters side of the room, but she did not notice it if so. There was a creepy space off the room which was empty except a broken luggage rack. There was an iron and board in the room. There were large floral murals painted on the room , which struggled mightily to cheer up the dismal room.
The beds. The beds were hands down the worst part of the stay. The bedspread was a cream color nylon, complete with snags. It was a very unpleasant fabric to touch. Usually I just pull the bedspread off anyway. This simply revealed that there was no blanket underneath, just a sheet. The beds were the noisiest I have ever come across. I had a theory that perhaps they put the really noisy beds in the double queen room since they probably wouldn't get ..used noisily, IYKWIM. Sadly, I discovered that that was not the case, at least for the room directly above my bed... I will say, if you laid completely still and did not move, the beds were relatively comfortable. They were just SO NOISY!
OK, so It seems like perhaps, based on the other reviewers photos, that the other rooms are much better looking. I hope so, and that perhaps we just got the one room that was still stuck in the past. If you are interested in staying here, we stayed in room 111, you may want to request that you do NOT get that room.
One last caveat. Unlike most hotels where they are very cautious about lost keys and room numbers, this hotel actually has physical keys attached to keychains which are engraved with the room number on them. So If say I had lost my key and not realized it, someone who found it could head right into our room with it and clean them out before we came back. I realize this is a slightly paranoid viewpoint, YMMV.

Room Tip: I do not recommend room 111.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BalancingAct
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and fly in and out of Anchorage several times a year and have stayed at six different hotels and B&Bs, ranging from the Capt. Cook (high end) to Day's Inn (low). We have chosen to return to this small hotel (about 20 rooms) four times. The price is excellent for Anchorage and I felt very safe. The rooms are about $100/nt as opposed to $200/nt at a Marriott Courtyard near the airport. To me, that $100 savings is worth quite a bit, as I just want a hotel for a bed and a shower. The location is in the downtown area, about 8 blocks from a lot of restaurants. You can walk in nice weather. Parking is free and the shuttle is, too, at certain times of year (ask). The rooms are quite small, about the size of a home's child's room, and crowded with a refrigerator, microwave, and full dresser (no desk or table and chairs). The continental breakfast is very modest: cold cereal and muffins, coffee, juice and fresh fruit. Some of the rooms have windows that open into a hallway instead of opening to the outdoors. So specify something you might not think you need to mention! Note: the hotel is not open year round and if you write or call for a reservation when it is closed, as I did last January, I did not get a response until I found the email address of the owner and wrote him directly. This hotel is not for everybody, but certainly a good value if you plan to be out and about during the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in which the windows open outside, not onto the hallway.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The descriptions found online regarding this hotel are very misleading. Most favorable reviews have to be written by owners or staff, or are old and no longer applicable. I can’t imagine anybody actually enjoying this place very much.

We made reservations here, one for the beginning and one for the end of our trip. The hotel offers shuttle service. Upon arrival at the airport, I called them. An employee at the hotel rudely informed me that check-in wasn't until 3:00. I thought she wasn't going to send the van for my wife and I until then. She treated me as if I was wasting her time, then finally said she would pick us up. She showed up and was nicer, telling us that there is only one employee at the hotel and that they have to simultaniously run the front desk and shuttle service. This explains her inital attitude.

We checked in. Our room was dirty and dark. Nothing like the photos. It stunk like smoke. The clerk said they allow people to pay a $500 fine to smoke in the rooms. Odd. Seems smoking outside would be just a tad cheaper and almost as convenient.

The carpet in the room was sticky and stained, the bathroom was dirty, we couldn't tell if the sheets on the bed had been changed. It’s one of those places you don't want to take your shoes off in.

The foyer was gross. The dining counter there hadn't been washed in ages, even though this is where guests eat breakfast every day. Rub a napkin along the counter and it looks as if you just wiped a dirty car. It was that unbelievably dirty.

The following morning we left and enjoyed the rest of our trip.

At the end of our trip, we arrived back at the hotel early, less than two hours prior to check in time, for our final reservation. We asked the manager for a parking card, and were reminded we were there before check-in. We left to kill time so we could come back and check in.

When we came back to check in we could not. There was no employee available; the manager, who was the only guy working there, was gone. A sign said he was at the airport and would be back in 20 minutes. My wife was sick, needed to rest. After waiting 40 minutes, nobody showed up, and finally we left. It is ridiculous that we were waiting that long at a hotel to access our reservation, to get into our room, and there was nobody around to help. I've never experienced such a thing anywhere else.

We found a room elsewhere, and immediately cancelled our reservation with Anchorage Downtown Hotel via e-mail, fully explaining within the cancellation why we had to leave. We were there, they were not.

I’ve just learned that management there not only charged us for that day, the day they were not available to assit us, but charged us double the original amount, even though I sent the cancellation explaining that we were there to check in, and we had waited for the better part of an hour for them to return, but they were not available, they were gone. They were not there to do their job, they were "no-show", and now they have taken money from us, more than they were ever entitled to.

They not only provided poor customer service, but provided no service at all. Instead of accepting that as their mistake and correcting their practices to better serve their customers, they vengefully charged our credit card with no authorization from us at all. And not only did they charge for the day in question, they arbitrarily charged double the original amount. Ridiculous and pathetic! I am working with my CC company to recover the money. Don't know if I'll be successful.

This hotel is filthy and dank, has poor customer service (if you can get service at all) and management is dishonest, as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank J B
ohio
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our party of four arrived in Anchorage on August 1, 2013. Both couples found the rooms to be totally unacceptable. The rooms were very small and smelly and there was no place to put your suitcases. The tipping point was the pillow cases that covered only two-thirds of the pillows!! We were so disgusted that we informed the front desk that we could not stay in these rooms and asked for a settlement. We ended up having to pay the full fare for the night. We were able to find rooms at The Captain Cook which was very nice. We are very experienced travelers and found this to be the worst hotel experience ever!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel!! If you don't believe me, read the other recent reviews.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends