“Sunday morning breakfast with mom”
Review of The Red Chair Cafe

The Red Chair Cafe
Ranked #32 of 891 Restaurants in Anchorage
Price range: US$8 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: A wonderful restaurant in downtown Anchorage, Alaska serving creative breakfast and lunch dishes to locals and tourist alike. Make sure to check out our extensive beer and wine list.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Sunday breakfast with 92 year old mother, my life partner Maurine and myself. Table base was not even with floor so all table drinks spilled each time I took feet off table base. First serving was two plates one of which was not ours. Next delivery - mom's bacon and one egg - no toast, it came later. Maurine's crusted french toast - scrambled eggs came 10 minutes later; barely warm. Coffee refills and hot water for tea had to be requested. Food service took more than 30 minutes.

1  Thank Donald H

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I visited once for lunch and thought the service was friendly and prompt and I like the funky decor. I order frequently for business lunches and the food is always delicious and on time. They're very accommodating with last minute (smaller) orders and the menu selection is refreshing for Anchorage. My favorite is the Hi-Five-0 wrap and quinoa side salad; both are very good. It's nice that they have vegetarian options as well. The cookies are fantastic - I've tried the chocolate chip and they're very well liked when I order business lunches so I'm betting the other pastries are quite scrumptious too. This is definitely one of my favorite places in Anchorage now.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Well, this is it. Red Chair is off the beaten track both literally and figuratively. It's east off the hotel/restaurant core by about five blocks in a renovated space in a historic building.

Local artwork fills the walls, jazz plays, and the daily menu delights.

The only drawback is that it hasn't secured a beer/wine license yet, but I understand it's in the works.

The food was interesting and delicious - clearly a personal expression and exploration of taste and presentation from someone who loves food and cooking.

Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Qpgmr
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have visited the Red Chair twice, both times for a weekend brunch. The menu has a wide variety of choices, and around noon we were faced with choosing from both the breakfast and lunch menus. Between us, we sampled several of the breakfast and sandwich options, and all were fresh and flavorful. I was impressed to see how many vegetarian options were available, and our server mentioned that most of the non-vegetarian options can be modified to make them meatless. She also pointed out that they have "to die for" fresh pastries during the week, but only wrapped pastries in the display case on weekends.

Our service, however, was night and day between the two visits. Our server for the first visit was wonderful, explaining things about the menu (see above), and even bringing us copies of the menus to take along. She was attentive and friendly, checking back frequently to fill drinks and check on us, but not at all intrusive. We were quite impressed after our first visit, and looked forward to coming again to try some more of the menu items.

I'm hoping our server, Erica A, was just having an off day at our second visit. She was very abrupt and in a hurry when we ordered. Drinks arrived, and then our meals. She stopped by literally a minute after the food was dropped off to ask if we had everything we needed (we hadn't even had a chance to taste our food yet). At the end of the meal, my companion left to use the rest room. That was when she stopped by next, to ask if we wanted anything else, "Maybe something sweet?" My iced tea and companion's coffee had been sitting empty for a while, by this time. I said that I didn't want dessert, but that my companion might, I couldn't answer for him. She said, "Oh, OK," and proceeded to take both our plates, his coffee cup, and the cream for his coffee, and she walked away. A few moments later, she plopped the check onto the table.

The menu is great, and I'm looking forward to trying more on the menu, but we won't be back many more times if we get that kind of service again.

1  Thank aksam
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Visited the cafe on a Sunday morning for a brunch with friends. We all LOVED our entries, the place was clean and the service wonderful. Most difficult part was deciding what to order, the menu was full of delicious looking entries.... Guess that means we will have to go back to try them out! *****

1  Thank Debeann