“Clean room, but Dated”

Highland Glen Lodge
Ranked #14 of 126 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We were passing through town between sightseeing and stayed at Highland Glen for just one night. We had an early flight out, so we missed the prepared breakfast, but Sheila packed a nice bag breakfast for us.

The look of the lodge appears to be early 70s. While that can be quaint, it appeared more that it just needed updating, but everything was very clean. The room did not have dark shades, so it was difficult to sleep with all the light at night. The outside temperature was in the high 70s when we visited, and it was very hot in the room--there is only one window, so no circulation.

We tried to turn on the television to relax after driving, and followed all the instructions in the room as to how to access television channels, but could not. We called Sheila, who sent up her husband. He told us that they can't afford to put cable in every room, and we could watch TV in the lounge area. If you're not going to provide TV, take away the instructions and let us know. It also seemed a little cheap not to provide this.

So nothing was terrible about Highland, but nothing was really special either. It's a clean room, convenient to town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wb93639
There are newer reviews for Highland Glen Lodge

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I consider myself B&B savvy. My husband and I have stayed at many and I can truly say that this B&B was a great experience. We stayed for a few days at the start of our trip and went back for a final night before going home. When I walked in the door the second go around, I kicked off my shoes at the door and felt like I had arrived home again. I can't stay that happens too often. Cliff made us lovely breakfasts each day and was always mindful of my food allergies. Shelia is a complete delight. She even mailed a post card for me and did a load of wash for me. Above and beyond, certainly. The house is spotless (a requirement for me) and there are no outside shoes worn indoors which I appreciate. The bed was comfy and there is a little fridge for use in the room. Also in the upstairs lounge is a coffee maker, microwave and plenty of drinks you can make and a few snacks. Everything was excellent. I have ONE, and only one criticism. If you can't sleep in straight-up sunshine at night, bring yourself an eye mask. The sun goes down at 11pm and is back up at 4am or so in the summer. There are no blackout liners on the windows or dark drapes. I can't imagine anyone being able to sleep in all the light pouring through the windows. The first night was really rough. We went straight out the next morning and bought eye masks. That's it though. All else was great.

Room Tip: See if they have a room with dark curtains
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Excellent accomodations, beautiful location, fantastic food. We stayed at the B&B twice during our trip to Alaska. 2 days at the start of the trip and 2 days at the end. We had two different rooms (which we were aware of at booking) and loved both rooms. The rooms are comfortable and homey. The food was amazing. The guest lounge was comfortable and offered many amenities. My husband and I both agreed we'd happily book here again. Thanks to Cliff and Sheila for a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The hosts were very friendly. The mansion is majestic and the room was very clean. We loved the view and the breakfast was wonderful. We had forgotten some items and went back to pick them up. They were very helpful and we would like to stay here again when we go to Anchorage.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Wonderful place to relax. We found our hosts to be friendly, and gracious. Our rooms were very comfortable and the breakfasts delicious. Sheila and Cliff were helpful and went out of their way to be of service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Having done quite a bit of traveling, I was looking for a place that would give me some opportunity to enjoy the ambient qualities that I look for in a B & B -- that special feeling. Highland Glen Lodge was the place. The proprietors understand the business and made it enjoyable for all of their guests, which, judging from my stay, came from all parts of the U.S. and abroad. Breakfast time was a real treat; imagine a setting for high tea. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We just stayed one night passing through but It was Very Lovely.Breakfast was very good. Beautiful views. The hosts were helpful and friendly. Everything was clean and spacious. I wish we had stayed a little longer.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple