“Nice location and rooms”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice location and rooms”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The hotel is in the perfect location for spending time in Anchorage. In downtown, near the water and close to good food and shopping in the city. I stay at this hotel on a regular basis and find it to be consistent and quiet and all around competent. The rooms are large with great views of the city, bay and mountains and I've always found the hotel to be clean. While it's an older property it seems well maintained and air conditioning has been added to one of the towers.
The internet service can be wonky and unstable which is frustrating but it is complimentary which is a nice touch.
Overall, a good choice when you visit Anchorage.

Room Tip: Tower 3 has air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank PassTravelF00l
, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear PassTravelF00l,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate all your constant patronage and it's really nice that you took the time to write such an honest review. We hope to see you return in the future!

Here's to sunny days! April was great, May was spotty, but June has been awesome for sunshine. Let's all hope the rest of the summer ends up amazing.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Finnish first
Alaska
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Captain Cook for our 10th anniversary. We rented a suite for one night. Upon arrival we opted for valet parking because of the ease of it and it was worth the extra money to not worry about finding parking. Check in was swift. Our room was in tower 3 so we had to walk through the lobby of the hotel. I really like how it was set up like a city street with the cafe and shops off the hallway.
The elevator was very fast and was noisy as another reviewer mentioned. We were on the 15th floor. The room we were staying in had really great views. We had two windows in the living area which we could see the inlet and the mountains all the way to the valley. From the bedroom window we could see the inlet as well as some of the city. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The couch and chair in the living room were nice but all the other furniture was very tired. The wet bar was old fakey oak paneling and the dressers were the same. They didn't seem to match the room quite right. This could definitely use an update. The bathroom was fine. The room overall was very clean.
We had made reservations for dinner at the Crow's Nest Restaurant and we enjoyed it very much. Again, the views were amazing and service was great (Thanks Megan). We had notated that it was our anniversary when we made the reservation and when we had dessert they wrote happy anniversary on our plates. This made it even more special. The only complaint about the restaurant is that there is supposed to be a business casual or smart business dress code which is not completely followed. While we were waiting for our table I did notice the hostess telling one person that he would have to come back with pants instead of shorts. That was good but there were a lot of people with t-shirts and jeans and sneakers. While I don't mind this normally I thought it was supposed to be more formal than that. I don't think business attire consists of t-shirts and sneakers.
If you have the chance to walk around downtown Anchorage. It is easy to forget how beautiful the city really is, especially at night. They have really done a great job. It is clean and the shops and park areas are great. It's a kind of magical place.
We had room service delivered for a late night snack and breakfast which we enjoyed thoroughly.
Check out was quick and the valet was timely.
Like my title says, overall we had a good stay. I would stay here again and I have already recommended to my friends. I would like to stay as a group with friends next time. Perhaps for our 35th birthdays.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear jenn16hour,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. With how indept your response was, we must've helped make your Anniversary very memorable. We are honored that you chose us on such a special occasion. We would love to see you on your 35th Birthday and if you need
help with anything please feel free to contact our Concierge: Brian Mercereau at
concierge@captaincook.com.

Here's to Anniversaries! It's a great day for everyone envolved from the Hotel Reservationist, to the Restaurant Matradee who added that extra touch. We love taking care of our guests on their special days!

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Captain Cook. We had a room on an upper level and the mountain view was unbelievable. The beds were comfortable, room was clean, hallways were quiet, and staff was pleasant. Restaurants were pricey (but most hotels that is true) but many great restaurants were just blocks away. Location in downtown made walking to look at Museum and other attractions a snap. I am not sure of the nightly cost because it was part of our Princesss cruises tour package but it is worth a look.

Room Tip: Tower three is the best location with a room facing the Chugach mountains. Preferably floors 8 and a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TennesseeTraveler082
Dear Tennessee Traveler082,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate the time you took to write such a great review. Whether you're a Cruise Ship Guest, Business Traveler, or on your Leisure, we want everyone to know that you are all VIP's and we can't wait to show you what customer service and relaxation is, Alaskan Style!

Here's to Tower 3 Mountain Views! If you get a mountain view by request high up in Tower 3, the views are gorgeous.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The staff is super efficient and friendly from the doorman to the wait staff. Decor has a Native Alaskan feel which I like. If I wanted the usual hotel chain there are other places in Anchorage to stay. Loved the Kobe Beef Sliders and Curry Chicken Nachos at 'The Whale's Tale'. The hollandaise sauce on the Eggs Benedict at 'The Cafe' for breakfast was the best I've ever had. Also loved the 'Steak and Eggs Trio'. Beds were super comfy and I like the European styled Duvet covers. Been here in April and June and both times the rooms were on the warm side. Had to open the windows and turn the fans on since no one in Alaska has airconditioning. The other great thing about this hotel is that it's in a fantastic location for walking to everywhere in the downtown area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear WewaB,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. You painted such a grand picture of our Hotel and we're greatful. We do have A/C in Tower 3. Towers 1 & 2 will be completed by May 2013. I
honestly believe you are so lucky to have tried the Curry Chicken Nachos in The Whale's Tail because they are my personal favorite. With the renovation of The Whale's Tail changing to a Wine Bistro, and the addition of our fantastic new Chef Ben heading the charge, everything on the menu is amazing. We hope to see you again in the future.

Here's to small bites! With downtown Anchorage restaurants being so busy all the time its a great chance to branch out. Be adventurous and make your way to several restaurants trying all the splendid appetizers. Its a great way to see downtown and experience mutliple places.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel after a week-long Alaskan cruise. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The bathroom is also spacious. Everything was clean. The room rates are expensive as are the hotel restaurants. The lobby has several nice boutiques. The location is excellent, within easy walking distance to shops, museums, parks, restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Allen_1961,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your excellent review and we we hope to see you return in the future!

Here's to the Anchorage Museum! Recently renovated and gorgeous. This musuem is just blocks from The Hotel Captain Cook and its Imaginarium Discovery Theatre is a great place for young explorers.

Sydney
Reviewed 18 June 2012 via mobile

Some rate it as the top hotel in Anchorage but I find that hard to believe. it's big, and it's old but it does need someone to get rid of the dark brown decor, the dreadful paintings and homemade signs. The bars are good, the food and wine is great value and the room was, well, clean. We stayed on the way to somewhere else and the hotel fits that role. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Lifts are very noisy so avoid staying close to a lift.

Stayed June 2012
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Toby21Sydney,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate the review and the feedback. The Hotel is known for listening to our guests and taking the proper actions to go forward. We are constantly doing upgrades and can't wait to see what the future holds. Hope to see you return again and have a great summer.

Here's to upgrades! The Hotel Captain Cook now has 5 Restaurant Outlets and 24 hour Room Service.

vancouver
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at the Captain Cook just before our land tour with Princess Cruise Lines. We then stayed after our land tour with Captain Cook the night before catching our train from Anchorage to Whittier. We had a situation where my suitcase went missing, I was in touched with the Hotel Manager that night, Brian. He was very concerned and starting to research and question anyone who might have handled my suitcase. He even phone the V.P. of Operations Raquel to also look into what happend to my suitcase. They offered to wash my clothes that I had with me from my wilderness trip, the suitcase that went missing had my cruise ship clothes in it, formal wear etc. They did everything they could, and kept in regular touch with me to keep me updated on their search for my suitcase. The hotel staff were very upset about my lost suitcase. All went well though, when we arrived at the Cruise ship, not even an hour later there was a knock on our cabin door and there was my suitcase. Some how my suitcase was given to Princess Cruise Lines instead of remaining at the hotel as per my instructions., as I was picking it up when I returned after my land tour. Needless to say I can't thank the hotel staff for their sincere concern and upset that my suitcase went missing. This hotel is definetely a 5 star.

Room Tip: Get with a view, top floors
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank diamondvancouver
Dear diamondvancouver,

Thank for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate the review and I'm glad you received your suitcase. I am extremely proud of our staff for showing the concern and taking the time to make sure you had your luggage while you were on your cruise. I hope the cruise was excellent and we can't wait to see you again!

Here's to Cruising along Alaska's Southeastern Passage! Gorgeous views, amenities, and as much food as you can eat. Not to mention your cameras will be plum full of the most beautiful scenery ever.

Hunter. R. W. Edelen