“Yawn”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Average average average. We have always stayed at the Westmark and now my company has me staying here. The front desk staff is MUCH friendlier at the Westmark. I heard this from my co-workers and found it to be true when I arrived. The rooms are very standard and could probably use an update pretty soon. If my company was not paying for this hotel, I probably would not stay here at the published rates. However, I did like the fridge in my room and the bed was nice. The windows do open up a little bit, so I did enjoy the fresh air. The traffic is quite loud all night long though.
I did request to have my bed made up because I had a late check out arranged by my company, but this request was disregarded by the staff. I really do not like being in a hotel room without an unmade bed.

Room Tip: This hotel does not provide an airport shuttle. If you need an inexpensive ride catch the 7A people...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear MichaelMinneapolis,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review and I'm happy to see that you enjoyed the Hotel. We are now tested to provide equal to or better customer service than your previous Hotel. I beleive we are up to the challenge and look forward to having you stay with us again. I hope your flight back to Minneapolis was nice and we can't wait to see you again. If you have a long layover, look me up and I'll take you fishing!

Silver Salmon! It's almost time for the silvers to fill the rivers. They are so fun the catch with almost every fish coming clean out the water and zigging and zagging in every direction.

Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,910)

Reviewed 5 August 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights here in advance of a cruise. Its a nice hotel with some classic features and excellent professional staff. The room was clean and comfortable. The only reason I don't rate it higher is because it is quite expensive and I expect more from a hotel in this price range.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear tw3retiree,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I'm very happy to see you enjoyed the Hotel. It sounds like we had everything you needed and I'm excited to see that the staff had such a positive impact on your stay. We all appreciate your comments! We hope to see you return someday, but until then have a great summer in California!

Trout! The trout fishing is becoming amazing at this time of year. With the weather slowly dropping the fish know it's time to eat before winter sets in.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at the Captain Cook at the start of a tour of Alaska, and read that it was the best hotel in Anchorage, so we expected the best in everything. While our room was large and had a view of the water (with buildings), the carpet was stained, which did not give a great impression. We had 2 breakfasts there. One was really good, since it was from a menu; the other was a buffet for our group, which was not that great. A dinner was a group thing as well-so I can't really just the restaurant fairly. But again, nothing superb--hence the middle rating. When everyone says this is a 5-star hotel, I expect great things, and the Cook didn't have what a Fairmont has. Sorry!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear dsmith2beach,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review of our property and we're happy to see that enjoyed your stay. I am sorry we didn't fulfill your expectations and we look foward to correcting the areas that need to be fixed. Have a great summer and we hope to see you return in the future.

The Alaska State Fair! August is the month of our state fair which attracts some pretty good concerts, has great food, and lots of fun for the kids. If you're visiting it's a great way to spend a day!

Reviewed 1 August 2012

This is a beautiful and impressive hotel. The rooms are very nice. I did not eat at the Captain Cook so I cannot comment on their food. However, the steam room and sauna is second to none. Very impressive indeed. The staff was friendly and efficient. Concierge was quite helpful with a wide array of questions. The beds were luxurious.

Room Tip: There is no AC or at least there wasn't in my room. There wwas a ceiling fan and it was easily...

Dear Mike C,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I'm happy to see that you enjoyed the time you spent while staying with us. I'm happy to hear that the staff was spot on, the athletic club filled your needs, and that you had a nice nights sleep. Have fun in Canada and we hope to see you return in the future.

Appetizer Run! Instead of the normal sit down in one of the many great restaurants in downtwon Anchorage, try walking to a bunch of places and grabbing some apps. It's a great way to see the town and visit a lot of great food spots.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed a few nights while on a business trip. Good quiet, location in downtown Anchorage. Check-in was smooth. The room was clean, but dated. I only had one meal at the hotel, but it was very good and the service was good as well.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Dear Family_Traveller0,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review of our property which we can share with everyone on Trip Advisor. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and the meal you had at the Hotel. Canada is a gorgeous place and we thank you for visiting us and Alaska!

Alaska Railroad! A great way to see the state. The Alaska Railroad offers relaxing trips to and from multiple locations with routes that are only accessible via the railroad giving their passengers an opportunity to view some remote areas that most won't be able to see.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Needed just a one night stay for a layover (on our way to Homer) and hotel was recommended by someone who works for Alaska Airlines and has stayed many times. We arrived around midnight and were happy to find a friendly face to greet us. Ordered coffee service in the morning and Clarence delivered to our room with a great attitude and friendly customer service. He also provided a little history of the hotel which was very interesting. Overall, hotel is very nicely appointed, staff was very courteous and helpful, room was big enough and had everything we needed. If going back to Anchorage, I would definitely select this hotel over "all" others. Not inexpensive, but definitely worth the money. It was about a 10-15 minute cab ride from the airport ($25 with tip).

Room Tip: You definitely get what you pay for in Anchorage and this is a great value.

Dear Paula P,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're very happy to see you enjoyed your stay. When one of our employees like Clarence stands out amongst everyone and provides exceptional customer service to our guests and its talked about, it really makes us feel like we're doing something right and heading in the proper direction. We'd love to see you return again and have a great summer!

Airport to Hotel! Taxi's ($20 average fare) City Bus (1.75 one way) Private Transfer ($75-$100)
are all ways to get to and from the airport.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Hotel Captain Cook stands over downtown Anchorage, painted a distinctive golden color. The location is perfect for walking to shops & restaurants. The rooms were nicely decorated, and the windows actually open. In Alaska, one does not need AC - you open a window and turn on the floor fan (provided in every room). Captain Cook rooms also have with good bathroom lighting - a special peeve of mine since I wear makeup, and can rarely see what I'm doing in a hotel bathroom. Doormen on duty. Valet parking was overpriced, at $30/day, especially on week-ends when downtown metered parking spaces are free. We were able to find a space within 1/2 block all day on Saturday & Sunday. On a week-day, we would've opted for the self-parking at $20/day.

Dear BellaBike,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at our property with the Trip Advisor community. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your room and your stay. For the most part, Alaska doesn't need A/C but on some sunny days it can get hot and thats why we're installing A/C in the entire Hotel. Tower 3 is done already and the rest of the Hotel will be finished by May of 2013! If you need any parking tips just ask Brian the Concierge at concierge@captaincook.com. Find the warmth when you return to NC and have a great summer!

Family! I have family in NC and they always talk about how great Alaska is but I love it there to!