“Nice hotel”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel has a great location for downtown events. The beds are nice, rooms clean but lack amenities such as comb, toothbrush and cotton pads--- things even three star hotels offer. They also need more doormen on duty. I checked in with three large bags in the middle of the week in December and had to drag all three into the lobby by myself. Only after I had them all to the front desk did they send someone to help. Another trip, we had to go out to hail our one cab as we could find no one at the door. All this being said we stay there again due to the convenience of the location to downtown. The people at the front desk are very pleasant and so are the doormen when you can find them.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Sherryk44,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. We will definitely work on being more present. We understand that great service can only be provided by having a smiling associate ready to help to help with every guests needs. Your feedback is very valuable and thank you for sharing it with us. Hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Hotel Captain Cook

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We chose the Captain Cook because it's our favorite hotel in Anchorage. Always cheerful service, clean and consistent. Perfect location for walking to favorite restaurants and shopping downtown. We saw that they were hosting their annual New Years Eve party and purchased tickets. Enjoyed it very much, it was well done. DJ chose excellent music, great dance floor and flow.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jennifer R,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate the "Fantastic" review. New Year's Eve is a special night not only for us but everyone around the world. We try very hard to exceed every guests expectations on such a memorable night and we're pleased to see to met yours. Last year it was a James Bond party, this year was the rewind 70's, 80's, and 90's. I can't wait to see what they come up with next year and look forward to sharing it with you. Have a great 2014 and we'll see you again!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

For the past three years, myself, my wife and our two young children have had an annual tradition of enjoying the New Year’s Eve downtown events and then spending the night in the deluxe king suite in rooms 1131 and 1132. The kids sleep in rollaways in room 1131 while my wife and I sleep in room 1132. We spend the evening playing games and waiting until midnight to ring in the New Year together. However, this year, I would have much rather been anywhere but the Captain Cook.

Around midnight, we put our children to bed in room 1131. Almost immediately after, my wife noticed the distinct smell of marijuana in the small hallway between our two rooms. At first we thought it might have been coming in from near the elevators, but once we opened the door to room 1131 where our kids were sleeping, we discovered that it was somehow coming in through the vent system or another way. It was VERY strong and the smell actually woke my daughter up from sleep and she asked what “smelled bad” in her room. My wife and I tried to discern where it was coming from – the room next to us (there did not sound like anyone was next to us), the vents – we didn’t know, but we did know that there was no way we were letting our children sleep in that room.

After moving my kids into our king bed in 1132, I called down and notified the front desk and about 10 minutes later two security guards came into our room and they verified that, yes, the marijuana smoke was very strong, though I don’t think that they took it as seriously as I would have expected. One guard just laughed and said “Wow, I bet you guys are really hungry!” They said they would look into it and left. We never heard back from them and were never contacted by management to ask about the smell or see how we were doing.

We hoped that the smell would dissipate (it was still very noticeable), but there was no way we were putting our children back in that room, in case whoever was smoking it continued to do so throughout the night. I called back down to the front desk to ask about being moved to a different room, but the night manager (a male whose name I did not get) told me that they were booked very full that night and that all he could do was move us into a single room with one king bed. No apologies were made on his part. At this point, at 1:30 AM, we did not feel like packing up our belongings to move to a smaller room with one bed for the four of us to sleep in. My wife and I, on our own, moved the two rollaways from room 1131 into our room, 1132, so our children could sleep. My wife and I were exhausted and just wanted to sleep, though that did not happen as I had hoped.

Around 2:00 AM, we were woken up by a young woman literally screaming into her cell phone near the elevators. This went on for at least a minute until my wife opened our room door and told her to be quiet because people were trying to sleep. She continued to talk on her phone and then got in the elevator to leave. After finally sleeping for about an hour, at 3:00 AM, I was awoken by the sounds of a group of people either above or below our room (1132) having a very loud party. I could hear what sounded like furniture being moved around, loud music, and constant shouting, which was so clear that I could make out nearly every word that was being said. This went on for close to an hour (I continued to check the clock) until, after burying my head under my pillow to silence the noise, I was able to sleep after 4:00 AM.

Around 9:00 AM, my children woke up and my wife brought them down to the hotel pool while I got up to start packing up our belongings. Not long after they left, while I was gathering my children’s things in room 1131, I began to hear what was clearly a full-on fistfight happening in the room above. Once again, I could hear every single profanity-laced sentence being shouted. There was obviously a group of men above us who were physically fighting, screaming at each other, swearing and yelling racial slurs. This went on for at least 30 minutes. Thankfully, my children were not in the room and by the time they returned from the pool, the fighting had stopped. I was shocked when I looked at our doorway and saw a bill for the full price of our room - $235.20.

Around 11:00 AM, I walked down to the front desk to speak to the manager on duty. I ended up speaking to Hunter and, after explaining our evening to him, he was very apologetic and told me that we would not be charged for our room. I would like to add that Hunter was also the person who checked us in the night before and both times he was very friendly, helpful and extremely professional. He was also not the manager we spoke to during the night. I thanked Hunter for not charging us for the room, but did tell him that we will most likely not be returning to the Hotel Captain Cook again. It all just seemed too little, too late.

This is not the atmosphere or environment that I would expect at the finest hotel in Anchorage. The Captain Cook has a very reputable reputation, but our stay felt like we were spending the night at the Inlet Inn (a now demolished derelict transient motel down the road). I can understand that guests can get a bit rowdy, especially on New Year’s Eve, but over the past three years we have stayed there, the guest behavior has seemed to become increasingly louder, rowdier and less considerate of other guests. Not everyone wants to stay up drinking and partying (and obviously smoking illegal drugs in their room) until dawn and I would think that hotel management would be better about enforcing such activities and be more sympathetic to the guests who are having to put up with poor behavior by inconsiderate people.
I would hope that staff are made aware of how lax enforcement of rules and poor guest management can affect polite, paying guests and turn a pleasant stay into a terrible evening. I would be very, very hesitant to stay at the Hotel Captain Cook again after this and my family may have to look for a different downtown hotel to stay at for next New Year’s Eve, which is unfortunate because we have enjoyed this tradition in the past.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Phantasmo33
ZachDunlap, Director of Security at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Phantasmo33,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your stay with us on New Year's Eve.

Let us address you concerns.

It is unfortunate that the incident you referred to happened in the Hotel, if our security guards were able to pinpoint where it was coming from, the guests would have been evicted. Our security team comes from the best and most professional security company in the State. It is unfortunate that an insensitive comment was made towards your concern. The issue has been addressed and sensitivity training has taken place. The other concerns you noted were: a fight and loud arguing. In both those instances Security went to the rooms and the guest stopped disrupting others. In regards to someone talking on their cell phone in the hallway this is not within our control and in no way reflects on our Hotel because it is a public area.

All though the Front Desk clerk you spoke to in the evening should have offered an apology, he was correct in his response that he could not move you to another room because all suites in the Hotel were sold out.

Once you came to the Front Desk and informed Hunter of you concerns he responded by comping your room and apologizing. We are happy with Hunter's response and it is in line with our policy of addressing the guests concerns and making adjustments if necessary.

New Year's Eve is a night of celebration. The whole of downtown Anchorage is encompassed with revelers. We applaud family traditions and hope you continue them. We are always concerned with the safety and security of our guests and employed additional Doyon Security on New Year's Eve to ensure that any situation that arose in the Hotel could be handled promptly.

Respectfully,
Zach Dunlap
Director of Security

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Recently travelled for business to Anchorage for a week and stayed during the Christmas Holidays at the Hotel Captain Cook. The lobby was a delight; filled with gingerbread houses, wreaths, decorated trees and everything festive. The rooms were warm and sparkling from cleanliness. The staff could not have been more helpful. There is also a great shuttle service between the hotel and the airport. Come prepared to spend a lot of money for food; breakfast lunch or dinner was pricey!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Jo M,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your nice review and we're pleased to see you found your stay with us most enjoyable. We love decorating for the Holidays. We understand that when people are away from their families it's really nice to feel warm and welcome especially this time of year. Thank you for the great comments about the staff and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

It is a beautiful hotel, and the public areas are top notch. The rooms…my carpet was wrinkled and the bar faucet was just a trickle of water. It was faster to get the water for the coffee pot from the bathroom rather than wait for it. The toilet seat was loose, and just outside my door was an electrical outlet with a broken cover. The Bed was very comfortable and lighting was adequate for reading, so I was happy with my stay of 10 days.

They occupy the entire block and the lobby basically follows the block around 3 1/2 sides. Therefore, to check in I start midway on the north side, check-in desk is at northwest corner, and to get to the third tower you go south then east and then north again to the elevator bank. I wonder if someone could make money renting roller-skates? These are the longest hallways I have ever seen!

The parking garage was under earthquake retrofit so I had to park on the street level as the rest is closed the first day. The closed parts changed over my stay, but I never any trouble finding parking.

Went to The Café in the lobby for my first breakfast here, got the two eggs with reindeer sausage, and roasted potatoes. Delicious! Another day was salmon lox. The chef arranged the lox into a rose shape with capers, hardboiled egg and chopped tomatoes around it. Very attractive and good, but so salty I guzzled water all day. The Paleo eggs are served on arugula salad with fried tomato and sliced avocado, another winner! While the food was always good in the café, the various buffets and banquets were mediocre. I never tried any of the other restaurants in the hotel.

One morning I try to leave for breakfast at my usual 6 a.m. and no elevators! Wait 10 min. light goes out and still no elevators. Call front desk and try again. Give up. Call front desk and they sent an escort to my room. Bellboy and two security guards take me down the service elevator, as there are NO elevators working in tower three since yesterday evening during a citywide bar crawl. Does the fire marshal know about this place? It took me 40 min. to get to the lobby.

The personnel were always helpful and friendly and never failed to try their best to please. My maid on most days, Monica, was a real sweetheart and did her job to the highest standards. All the Café servers were efficient and my kudos to the chief as the eggs were always done just right, over-easy, no more. No less. My only quibble with the Café was the kitchen got noisier after the first couple of day, and I started sitting as far from the kitchen as possible, but on the last morning I could hear their music.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing another tower are more private and give better views of the city. Tower 3 was STIL...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

48states2013,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and all the detail you shared with your 10 day experience. The Cafe is a great place to enjoy a nice meal before you start the rest of your day. The Hotel is big and the roller skate idea might be an entrepreneur's dream. We have brand new elevators that were installed this fall and I apologize for any inconvenience we caused with the delay. I am happy to see our staff personally escorted you down. If you find yourself back in AK we'd love another opportunity to provide a great stay.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Wife and I stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook for one night prior to flying home.
Nice hotel , courteous staff, good location downtown. Found a very nice restaurant within a few blocks. Would stay there again next time in Anchorage.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William M

Dear William M,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. One night, short and sweet, I love it. Being located in Downtown Anchorage really provides our guests with a warm welcome and having many restaurants and shopping in walking distance is a bonus. We look forward to your next stay.

Happy New Year!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I used to stay at the Captain Cook every time I traveled to Anchorage. On my last trip I made my own reservations and booked at the Cook. I had forgotten how beautiful the hotel is and how wonderful staff make you feel from the time you check in until you leave. The rooms are excellent and the extra thick towels and bathrobes provided make you feel pampered. The restaurants in the hotel are exceptional. The panoramic view of Anchorage offered in the Crows Nest is breathtaking and the food is the best in Anchorage. The hotel is located in the downtown area and centrally located. My stays are mostly for business and access to where I have to go is very easy from the hotel. During the Christmas season it is a treat to stay at the hotel when the Christmas Village is being constructed out of gingerbread and candy. It is amazing to watch it come to life. Being a single person traveling alone another factor I value a great deal about staying at the hotel is safety. I feel as safe staying at the Captain Cook as I feel staying in my own home.

Room Tip: I love looking at the mountains and the inlet. When possible ask for a corner room that offers both...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank March R
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear March R,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate the time you took to share your wonderful experience with our TripAdvisor community. It's always so rewarding to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. We try very hard to create a warm, comfortable, relaxed and safe atmosphere for all guests.The comment about feeling as safe here as you do at home is amazing. We promise to challenge ourselves to give each and every guest the value they deserve. Thank you again, and Happy Holidays.