“Great "getaway" for a local with special touches” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hotel Captain Cook

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Anchorage
Eagle River, Alaska
“Great "getaway" for a local with special touches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I live in the Eagle River area, only half an hour from downtown Anchorage, and needed a quiet place (away from family) with a lovely view and a comfortable bed. I got so much more!
My expectations for Anchorage are not high, but I would have been pleased with this hotel anywhere. I can;t believe Ive never explored inside the hotel other than to attend a conference here and there. It's a great surprise!
My must-haves when traveling are a nice view, cleanliness, aesthetics, QUIET, soft linens and a comfortable bed, cleanliness (again) in-room coffee maker and free wireless. My nice-to-haves are a good workout facility, great coffee, robe and slippers in the room, toilitries, refrigerator, and a shop nearby to buy whatever it was that I forgot when running out the door for a business trip.
Hotel Captain Cook provided all that and so much more. The gym is fantastic and has a spa and massage therapist. There is an art gallery downstairs with a very knowledgeable local whose husband is an artist; a fine woolens shop; a Patagonia shop; several restaurants, meetings rooms and conference facilities; a native arts studio with works high-end offerings by artists such as Preston Singeltary (gorgeous glass) and a shop with snacks and souvenirs, etc.
Staff is excellent and friendly and provided me with the toothbrush, tooth paste and razor I forgot in my haste to escape a noisy home for the weekend to work on a presentation.
I stayed in a corner room #949, which has windows overlooking downtown area with the Chugach mountians in the background, and windows overlooking the inlet with another mountain range in the far background. It was snowing the day I took this photo- try to imagine the view ;-) It's the best view in town.
I had room service that was promptly and professionally delivered, read a copy of the complimentary local paper and the Wall Street journal and enjoyed the view.
The bathroom is small, but spotlessly clean. The bed was wonderfully comfortable (not too soft, not too hard) and the sheets were high thread count and soft. Wish there had been more than 2 pillows in the room- but was quite sure all I had to do was ask.
This particular room may not be as quiet as others because it overlooks the street below, but what little noise there is dies down in the evening and the view is one of the best you can find. The windows open partially- also nice. (In summer this would be busier and possibly noisier - my stay was during our winter)
My Saturday night stay was off season rate of $150, which included full access to the health club (well worth the daily rate of $25), overnight parking and a $20 breakfast certificate.
Great service, great weekend escape. I'll bring my husband next time when I don't have a deadline looming for work and teenagers at home.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a higher floor in the second tower (like room 949) for a wonderful unobstru...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear AL O,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your very detailed review and we're pleased to see we positively impacted your stay in so many ways. Where do I start? Awe yes service. We pride ourselves in making our guests happy and spreading smiles around. As they say," Happy Guest, Happy Boss :) " Let's make your next visit with your Husband special. Send me an email and we'll start to build a great getaway. Cheers!

guestservices@captaincook.com

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Finnish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I traveled to Anchorage at the end of August 2013 for business and stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook. I know Alaska is not a cheap state to begin with but I was able to secure a room at a decent rate for the end of high season. My room was not quite ready upon my arrival but they took my bags and said to check back in about an hour. I was early so I went and found some lunch and when I returned my room was ready and my bag already delivered and waiting for me. I did order room service a coupe times and have to say the cost was quite reasonable (for room service). Was glad there was a small fridge in the room. I was there for a week so I was able to keep a few snacks on hand. My only "complaint" was I didn't have any sort of view, but for what I paid I wasn't expecting to get the Presidential Suite! I am returning next week for an 10 night stay and CANT'T WAIT!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Jime60647,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our TripAdvisor community and it's a pleasure to provide a great stay. We're happy to see our staff was able to hold your luggage while you had lunch and took care of your every need. Please send me an email before your next arrival. I want to personally put you into a room with a great view for your upcoming 10 night stay. See you soon!

guestservices@captaincook.com

ak
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Every so often, I like to stay overnight in Anchorage. I absolutely love the Captain Cook. The winter rates are affordable and the service continues to be outstanding. It was the first time I stayed in Tower 2, and loved the view! Beautiful! I also appreciate the Whale's Tail for a light dinner. I like the greens with strawberries and of course, the fried PB&J which is incredible! I also had breakfast for the first time there, and it was outstanding! Not only was the service superior, but the food was amazing. They had a special with pancakes, a scramble with veggies, bacon and potatoes, and a half order of eggs benedict! It was awesome! Each time I visit, the service and food are consistently good. Very good experience!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear skiingak,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We are very happy to see you get to join us every so often and it's a pleasure to consistently provide a great stay. The chefs, servers, and all restaurant staff have really been doing a great job at food prep, and service and it's reflecting in the comments. We have a driven team and we look forward to always exceeding your expectations. Until next time, take care!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

A very interesting hotel that really seems frozen in time. Very well maintained and efficiently run, but an odd combination of 60s modern Scandinavian design and Disney-like pirate/explorer them. Well located in the center of Anchorage.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Scott B,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased you enjoyed your stay. The theme of the Hotel represents Captain James Cook's voyages and exploration of many parts of the world including Alaska. It has been very well received by our guests and visitors and we look forward to continuing to honor him through our brand. New York had all the snow this winter and thank you for sending us some recently. Summer is almost here and the sun is pouring in so come back and see us anytime!

Warrensburg, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This place is one of my new favorites!!!1 The rooms are beautiful... Stay on the high floors with a north view for some spectacular pictures!! Very clean... Beds are cozy!!! Take a few extra moments to walk through the lobby and downstairs areas... The paintings give a glimpse of the history of Captain Cook. And .... even if you don't want to use the work out/pool area... they have some really cute shirts for sale in the lobby of the pool area they don't have anywhere else! There are really nice shops located off the lobby area. If you want to add any extra activities.... sight seeing, dog sledding, snow skiing,..... ask for the concierge named Chad.... he can get you to the right place at the right time!!!! He is Awesome!!! The only warning I would give is that the shuttle service is not owned/operated by the hotel. It is a separate business... so it may be difficult to get where you want to go if you wait for the shuttle. You can always take a taxi... everything is pretty close. But, that being said, if the shuttle is available... and you are lucky enough to get David as a driver... enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Fifteenth Floor facing north is an excellent view!!!!! If you are going for the Iditarod... its only...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer B
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Jenn B,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you sharing your wonderful experience with our TripAdvisor community. High Floor rooms with great views, shopping, athletic club facilities, and more were highlighted in your comments but what really stood out was when you mentioned the service Chad provided. Our Concierge team is here to take care of our guests to the fullest and we're very proud the he was able to connect with you and help share some of Alaska. If you find yourself back this way we'd love to see you again.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Martin, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Hotel Captain Cook was amazing. The history behind the hotel is even more amazing! They showcase that throughout the hotel too.

Check in was fast and easy.

The beds were very comfy! My room was nice, didn't have quite a view, but i could still see a little mountain. I was in Tower 3.

The shower has amazing pressure! I know this seems very odd to put in a review, but that is the one thing that a girl with long hair needs!

I had breakfast in the cafe and it was delicious.

FYI - If you feel like you're hearing traffic noise too good, check your window, because mine was open! It was February and open!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Room Tip: I'd ask for tower 1 or 2, one of those has the sunrise view!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear crashlehcar84,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. The History of this Hotel is so cool and we're glad you liked it. There are paintings throughout the property depicting Captain James Cook's voyages and the Hotel's architecture has authentic pieces from the ships he sailed on built into the Hotel. We can't wait to share some more of the History with you in the future.

Bemidji, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at the Captain Cook at the end of our vacation to Jamaica. Needed a couple of days to regroup and get some supplies before heading north. We arrived at 2am,exhausted. They put us in a room that was ok, but we had requested an upper floor facing the inlet(waterview).Mountain views are good too. Too tired to deal with it then but called in the morning. Manager immediately rebooked us in what we had requested. Perfect for our stay. Parking is expensive ( 24.00 a day) in a covered garage. Snow City cafe is just around the corner!! We ate at the Whale's Tale ( in the hotel) food was very good. We tried to have a drink in the Crow's Nest, too busy , no seats. We then went to Fletcher's and had a couple of cocktails. In the mornings, after we drank the provided Starbucks, I went down to the Cubby and got large cups and some banana bread. Great stay. Special stay. A bit out of our regular budget but you can get a gov. deal and an Alaska resident deal. I have seen it listed on SkyAuction but have never used them.
Beds were soo comfy and the room is so clean. You get a small refridgerator, too. They have flat screen TVS, too. I misplaced my glasses. I reported it to the staff. They called our room 2 times and our home 2 times with possible finds. No go. So sad I lost them!! They were great!!
Staff is polite and very helpful. #1 place to stay in Anchorage , by far!! They have now added a shuttle to and from the airport!!!

Room Tip: Upper floor, Inlet or water view, Mountain view is okay too.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bsoup77
Dear bsoup77,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and taking the time to share it with our TripAdvisor community. It's great to hear we were able to move you to your desired location in the Hotel with a beautiful view. Relaxing beds, multiple dining options, location location location, and a staff that truly cares about your comfort and safety are some of the nice comments you mentioned which we take great pride in. We're getting ready for the summer season and lots of fun activities will start up soon. Come back to see the whales and the glaciers!