“What has happened to this place?”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #5 of 73 Hotels in Anchorage
Seattle, Washington
“What has happened to this place?”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Upon check-in I found a messy room with extra sheets and towels throughout, left on window ledges and the television stand. Room showed obvious wear and tear. Restaurant food and service still great, but the hotel is longer the grande dame of Alaska hotels.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Pactravel67
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Pactravel67,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay. Room cleanliness is paramount in creating a wonderful experience and we missed our mark. We will take a look at our practices and train all parties to ensure this does not repeat. Please send me an email so we can speak further. Thank you and I look forward to talking with you soon.

guestservices@catpaincook.com

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Finnish first
Nome, Alaska
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

As most parents would agree..when staying in a hotel, all kids want to do is go to the pool. My 6yo wanted to go to the pool today, but the only time kids are allowed in the pool today (Saturday) is between 2-7pm (AFTER we have to check out). So at 9am, I called a lady at the Athletic Club. She said the pool was not busy and to go ahead and bring my daughter to the pool. We went to the locker room, got our swimsuits on, and then another lady came up to us and said my daughter absolutely could not go into the pool, no exceptions. As we were getting kicked out and walking out of the athletic club door, another lady, her young daughter, and mother were also getting the boot. The grandmother was telling the attendant how "disappointing" it was that the little girl was not allowed in the pool. Basically, I would not suggest this hotel if you're staying with kids. Or else, you'll be scheduling your activities (shopping, dining, etc.) around the pool's limited hours for children. We normally stay at The Captain Cook 2-3 times per year, but now, we'll find a different hotel that's more kid-friendly.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank nomealaska
Dear nomealaska,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We apologize about the designated times for swimming in the Athletic Club. We have water aerobics classes, lap pool swimming, and other activities that need a schedule to provide ample time for guests to participate in those programs. We also have designated swimming hours for the kiddos so they can have a blast in the pool. We will take a look at this because we never want anyone to get turned away because it's not designated time for swimming. Thank you again for letting us know. Take care and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 March 2014

As a former long-term resident of Anchorage I am quite familiar with the Hotel Captain Cook – known simply as "The Cook" by many locals. It has enjoyed a long-standing reputation as Anchorage's most upscale hotel. It is large, conveniently located right downtown, nicely appointed (although largely unchanged for decades), and is clearly visible in any skyline shot of Anchorage. The views of the city, the inlet and the mountains are very good from most rooms, depending which of the three towers you are in.

In a recent late-winter stay I found The Cook pleasant in most ways. And thanks to an earlier price promotion that I took advantage of, the rates were very competitive with the other major hotels in town. During the peak tourist summer season hotel rates can be quite high, like most hotels in Anchorage.

Disappointing, however, was the level of service at the mid-size breakfast restaurant just off the lobby where many guests start their day. The hard-working wait staff was clearly overwhelmed by the number of tables they were assigned. As a result, simple breakfast orders were taken slowly and the food came even slower. A guest should expect better of a deluxe hotel with food and drink rates that are inflated to begin with.

The rooms are quite nice, although not exceptional. Like the rest of the hotel, things seem a little dated but still upscale, clean and attractive. The use of heavy, dark woods and a ship-like theme (in honor of namesake Captain Cook who explored the region) feels substantial and inviting.

You'll like The Cook, but let's hope management does a better job staffing and scheduling. And expect large crowds in the summer when large tour operators and cruise ships lodge tourists here by the busload.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in either of the two tallest towers. The third, shortest tower may have some obstructed...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NWbasecamp
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear NWBasecamp,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Having been a former long term resident and knowing the history of the Hotel it is nice to see that you have followed us for some time. The common phrase "The Cook" is definitely well used by the locals and it's an identifiable label for this Anchorage Landmark. If anyone was to ever find themselves lost in the downtown area or suffering from too much intake via the local food vendors, grab a local and say, "Hey, how do I get to The Cook?" I know the friendly Anchorage patrons will guide you with ease. I apologize about the service you received during breakfast. We have recently had a change in management. The staff works so hard and I look forward to seeing the new Manager provide the type of leadership we all want. We'll see you again!

Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I live in the Eagle River area, only half an hour from downtown Anchorage, and needed a quiet place (away from family) with a lovely view and a comfortable bed. I got so much more!
My expectations for Anchorage are not high, but I would have been pleased with this hotel anywhere. I can;t believe Ive never explored inside the hotel other than to attend a conference here and there. It's a great surprise!
My must-haves when traveling are a nice view, cleanliness, aesthetics, QUIET, soft linens and a comfortable bed, cleanliness (again) in-room coffee maker and free wireless. My nice-to-haves are a good workout facility, great coffee, robe and slippers in the room, toilitries, refrigerator, and a shop nearby to buy whatever it was that I forgot when running out the door for a business trip.
Hotel Captain Cook provided all that and so much more. The gym is fantastic and has a spa and massage therapist. There is an art gallery downstairs with a very knowledgeable local whose husband is an artist; a fine woolens shop; a Patagonia shop; several restaurants, meetings rooms and conference facilities; a native arts studio with works high-end offerings by artists such as Preston Singeltary (gorgeous glass) and a shop with snacks and souvenirs, etc.
Staff is excellent and friendly and provided me with the toothbrush, tooth paste and razor I forgot in my haste to escape a noisy home for the weekend to work on a presentation.
I stayed in a corner room #949, which has windows overlooking downtown area with the Chugach mountians in the background, and windows overlooking the inlet with another mountain range in the far background. It was snowing the day I took this photo- try to imagine the view ;-) It's the best view in town.
I had room service that was promptly and professionally delivered, read a copy of the complimentary local paper and the Wall Street journal and enjoyed the view.
The bathroom is small, but spotlessly clean. The bed was wonderfully comfortable (not too soft, not too hard) and the sheets were high thread count and soft. Wish there had been more than 2 pillows in the room- but was quite sure all I had to do was ask.
This particular room may not be as quiet as others because it overlooks the street below, but what little noise there is dies down in the evening and the view is one of the best you can find. The windows open partially- also nice. (In summer this would be busier and possibly noisier - my stay was during our winter)
My Saturday night stay was off season rate of $150, which included full access to the health club (well worth the daily rate of $25), overnight parking and a $20 breakfast certificate.
Great service, great weekend escape. I'll bring my husband next time when I don't have a deadline looming for work and teenagers at home.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a higher floor in the second tower (like room 949) for a wonderful unobstru...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear AL O,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your very detailed review and we're pleased to see we positively impacted your stay in so many ways. Where do I start? Awe yes service. We pride ourselves in making our guests happy and spreading smiles around. As they say," Happy Guest, Happy Boss :) " Let's make your next visit with your Husband special. Send me an email and we'll start to build a great getaway. Cheers!

guestservices@captaincook.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I traveled to Anchorage at the end of August 2013 for business and stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook. I know Alaska is not a cheap state to begin with but I was able to secure a room at a decent rate for the end of high season. My room was not quite ready upon my arrival but they took my bags and said to check back in about an hour. I was early so I went and found some lunch and when I returned my room was ready and my bag already delivered and waiting for me. I did order room service a coupe times and have to say the cost was quite reasonable (for room service). Was glad there was a small fridge in the room. I was there for a week so I was able to keep a few snacks on hand. My only "complaint" was I didn't have any sort of view, but for what I paid I wasn't expecting to get the Presidential Suite! I am returning next week for an 10 night stay and CANT'T WAIT!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Jime60647,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our TripAdvisor community and it's a pleasure to provide a great stay. We're happy to see our staff was able to hold your luggage while you had lunch and took care of your every need. Please send me an email before your next arrival. I want to personally put you into a room with a great view for your upcoming 10 night stay. See you soon!

guestservices@captaincook.com

ak
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Every so often, I like to stay overnight in Anchorage. I absolutely love the Captain Cook. The winter rates are affordable and the service continues to be outstanding. It was the first time I stayed in Tower 2, and loved the view! Beautiful! I also appreciate the Whale's Tail for a light dinner. I like the greens with strawberries and of course, the fried PB&J which is incredible! I also had breakfast for the first time there, and it was outstanding! Not only was the service superior, but the food was amazing. They had a special with pancakes, a scramble with veggies, bacon and potatoes, and a half order of eggs benedict! It was awesome! Each time I visit, the service and food are consistently good. Very good experience!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear skiingak,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We are very happy to see you get to join us every so often and it's a pleasure to consistently provide a great stay. The chefs, servers, and all restaurant staff have really been doing a great job at food prep, and service and it's reflecting in the comments. We have a driven team and we look forward to always exceeding your expectations. Until next time, take care!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 March 2014

A very interesting hotel that really seems frozen in time. Very well maintained and efficiently run, but an odd combination of 60s modern Scandinavian design and Disney-like pirate/explorer them. Well located in the center of Anchorage.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Scott B,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased you enjoyed your stay. The theme of the Hotel represents Captain James Cook's voyages and exploration of many parts of the world including Alaska. It has been very well received by our guests and visitors and we look forward to continuing to honor him through our brand. New York had all the snow this winter and thank you for sending us some recently. Summer is almost here and the sun is pouring in so come back and see us anytime!