The Hotel Captain Cook
US$301
EmbassySuites.com
Anchorage Grand Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$245
US$133
US$203
Hotel Alyeska(Girdwood)(Great Value!)
US$210
Best Western Golden Lion Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
US$219
US$156
US$223
US$199
Travelocity
1,948 results
All reviewsthe crow's nestprincess cruisecaptain's deckwhale's tailathletic clubdowntown anchoragejunior suiteland tourcorner roomnice hoteltop floorluxury hotelsnow city caferestaurants and shopscruise linebit datedroom was spacious
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I just returned from a business trip to Anchorage. I stayed at the Capt Cook for two nights. I had very high expectations of this hotel, as I was told it was the "Grand Dame" of Anchorage hotels.

The hotel is very large (with 3 towers) , with a early 18th century ship theme taken literally. Most bothersome to me was the fact that it was very dark, and I'm afraid in desperate need of an update. I don't think much has changed since the '70's, and perhaps that's how they like it. It seemed like every shade of brown consumed the entire interior. Rooms however, were very clean, comfortable, and quiet. Although there were some signs of updating, such as textiles in the room, there were many of the older furnishings in the room which I'm convinced were original, and alas showing its years of wear.

The hotel staff, right down to housekeeping, is pleasant and professional, and were very welcoming upon my arrival. Kudos to their staff,

I have no complaints about my stay here; the hotel is clearly geared up for the cruise set. However, next time, I would choose someplace brighter and more cheerful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear ABR-Seattle,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and your nice comments regarding the staff. History has shown the Hotel's design and decor though ship like in fashion has brought a warmth and a very welcoming atmosphere to our visitors. Everyone likes something different, that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream and that's what makes us all so unique. Hotels are the same way. Some big, some small, some in the US, some spread across the world. Great staff providing excellent service is what can really make a place special and we promise to keep that up. Have a great journey and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Captain Cook hotel for 2 nights and when we arrived (since we booked through Princess) it was screwed up some. Princess tends to do that and after all these years of doing this you'd think they had it down pat, well they don't. Our attitude became, just deal with it. The hotel has been redone and is very night, especially since the cost is very high. The location is great with many restaurants, museums and other sites are within walking distance. I used the gym which was wonderful and they did charge me $5. which I felt was OK. They have three towers and it does take a short learning curve to figure out where things are (LOL). They have a few restaurants in the hotel which we did not eat in. As I said they are surrounded by other good places. The hotel turned out to be fine, but when it was time to leave Princess had things screwed up. Buses weren't ready and you would thing this was the first time they every did this.

Room Tip: We were in tower 2 and had a great view from room 0943
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard F
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Richard F,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed the Hotel and our staff. We all remember you from your TripAdvisor Tag photo. I think almost all of the staff said, "That guy has the best chops I've ever seen". Major points! I am sorry some things were mixed up with the tour but it was our pleasure to help with making it better. 391 reviews??? Wow, you are a travel monster. I hope one day I can visit as many places as you have. Thank you for spending time in AK and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a hotel that seems to specialise in receiving large numbers of guests who are passing through on the way to or from a flight or a cruise. You might expect therefore that their staffing and organisation would allow for that. We arrived as part of a large party to join a land tour, leading on to a cruise. Our rooms were not ready - should not be a problem - but we were given conflicting information about the storage of our luggage, trailing back and forth across the foyer, and then the concierge staff appeared to go AWOL. Next morning, in good time for breakfast but 20 minute wait to be seated, fifteen minutes for coffee to arrive and order taken, another fifteen minutes for food to arrive with clock ticking to booked departure. All in all poor organisation by the management. Individual staff very pleasant, good sized, clean, well equipped roons, pity the service didn't match them

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel A

Dear Nigel A,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I would like to address your concerns.

Our main goal is to help every guest to the fullest and exceed their expectations whether your with a big group or independent. I remember your group specifically because we worked directly with your tour provider to ensure a smooth arrival and departure.

Your group arrived between 1:00 and 1:30 p.m. Our check in time is at 4;00 p.m. and we try to get our guests in early if we can. The only obstacle here was that we were sold out the night before so early check ins on your arrival date weren't available which I apologize about.

All luggage was stored in our Ballroom which was locked after the unload process. Everyone was directed to the Bell/Concierge desk for either delivery or pick up of their luggage later in the day.

Communication is huge and that's something we can always get better at. I will speak with my team and we will use your comments as a training tool. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was looking for a nice hotel for my family (my husband and I and our 60+ year old parents) to stay in at the tail end of our Alaska cruise. My husband prefers hotels to B&B's, and I wanted somewhere local rather than a chain. Hotel Captain Cook was our best bet, and we weren't disappointed! I opted to pay the $30 more (from the Deluxe King and Double rooms) to get the Captain's deck for my family, and it was definitely worth it! The lounge on the Captain's Deck is lovely, with quite a nice spread for the afternoon cocktail hour and the continental style breakfast. Simply having this lounge with its amenities was definitely worth the extra money. Additionally, the staff was incredibly kind to our parents, as we had a full day in Anchorage before catching a redeye flight home. The staff allowed our parents to keep a key to the Captain's Deck lounge in order to rest during the day after touring around a bit. The lounge itself has a fantastic view of the mountains and the sound. Just a great place all around.

The rooms were nicely appointed, and quite large. It was especially nice to shower under the large shower head after those tiny cruise ship showers! Our room had a great view of the sound, and we spent quite some time just looking out the window. I should also note that the location is great - just a few blocks from the visitor's center (if you are coming from a cruise) and right in the middle of town, just minutes from many attractions and a great walking trail along the sound.
The concierge held our luggage for us while we were out for the day and quickly returned it along with taxis to the airport when we asked. We would most certainly stay here again and recommend it. I also recommend a visit to their fine dining restaurant, The Crow's Nest; it is fantastic.

Room Tip: Tower 2, even numbered rooms have lovely views of the sound.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank springdove42

Dear springdove42,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. Such a nice review. Where do we start? You touched on so many details so I'll just keep it simple then. What a pleasure to take care of you and your parents. Spreading a warm and comforting welcome across generations is truly memorable. I hope you take a slice of Alaska back with you to Jersey and remember the Captain Cook and all our staff are here whenever you make it back our way. Cheers!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here as part of a Princess group tour. The hotel was good, good location and we had a corner room which overlooked the water which was good. The staff were friendly and helpful with us. We had dinner and breakfast there and both meals were buffet style and had a good variety of food choices. The rooms were clean and comfortable but the hotel is a bit dated as some other reviewers have noted. There is also a small convenience store on site which was handy.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SalandBrad

Dear SalandBrad,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience across such a widely viewed platform. People all over the world visit TripAdvisor and your comments mean everything to us. We look forward to continually updating the property and exceeding your expectations in all aspects of service and courtesy. Have fun down under and we'll see you again!