“Beautiful!”

The Hotel Captain Cook
Ranked #5 of 74 Hotels in Anchorage
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is in downtown Anchorage and was in walking distance to the Tony Knowles walking/biking trail along with other points of interest. As others have mentioned, the hotel is based on a ship theme and does seem to have many cruise passengers as guests. Many shops are based in the hotel lobby and there seems to be a variety of restaurants available for those who choose not to venture out. Our room was very spacious and included both a refrigerator and safe. Most comfortable beds, a great "rain shower" fixture in the bath, and very quiet. Even though the hotel had many guests, we never waited long for the elevator. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher up your room, the better to see the natural wonders that surround the city.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear JerMarsh,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your detailed review and we're happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. The Hotel's theme is based on Captain James Cook, a very famous English Explorer, and has been well received by our guests. Whether you're walking, running, biking, or whatever, the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail is a blast and I recommend everyone exploring it. Thank you for saying we have a "Beautiful" hotel and we hope to see you again soon!

Front Desk Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,926)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We were meeting my parents at Hotel Captain Cook. We had reservations for two rooms. My parents had travel delays and learned very late that they may not make it into town that day. I asked the desk clerk if they could hold the room for them in the event they made it, but not charge them if they did not arrive. (My husband said they would never do that!). Well, guess what? Because they were not fully booked that night, they did exactly as I requested! My parents did not arrive until the next day. They were not charged, despite less than 24 hour notice. In addition to that, the door man was great. He was polite and helpful. He also refilled my reusable water bottle with fresh icky water. Everyone was great. I would stay again. By the way, no need to pay $24/day for valet parking. there is plenty of street parking. Meters are free from 6:00pm until 9:00am.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tracy W,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. Your review was a pleasure to read. Exceeding our guests expectations in all aspects of service and courtesy is our goal. I'm happy to see that you were able to meet up with your parents and ended up sharing a great experience together. If you make it back up this way from Austin we'd love another opportunity to take care of you. Cheers!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

It's almost like being in another era as soon as you walk in the door of the Captain Cook. My traveling companions and I were debating how old it was based on the decor, the design, and the overall feel, and couldn't decide, so we finally asked a bellboy. I had said mid-60s, my companions said mid-70s, and as it turns out, we were both right since the towers were built at different times!

We stayed here as part of a package, just like pretty much everyone else at the hotel, but it was a pleasant stay. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and quiet, with very good curtains to block the midnight sun. The staff were courteous and helpful and the doormen had excellent restaurant recommendations. Snow City Cafe really is the best breakfast in Anchorage.

We didn't see enough of Anchorage, which seems like a fascinating city. Maybe we'll come back and stay at the Captain Cook again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear trigeekgirl236,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your nice review and we're pleased you enjoyed your time with us. Happy to see our staff were helpful and courteous and recommended a great restaurant. Come back and soak up some more of Anchorage, there's lots to do, We'll see you again!

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stopped in Anchorage for a day and got a great rate on a room! The rooms are beautiful and cozy and the decor all over. The staff at check in were so friendly but it didn't stop there. Shortly after checking into our room we were given some pizza coupons in case we wanted delivery since it was so cold outside and so late at night.
The beds were comfortable and I loved the hot water in the shower.(Lately it seems as though you expect too much when you want to take a hot shower)
We were up high and got a great view of Anchorage and the mountains in the morning.
My only complaint is that the walls were thin enough I could here the TV in the room next to us.
The next time we come to town we would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear packmysuitcase81,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you had such a good time while staying with us. Sounds like Night Audit did a great job to welcome you in and take care of your needs considering the hour of the night and the temp outside. Our fingers are crossed for Sunny Days and hopefully we'll get a chance to see you again.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I just returned from a business trip to Anchorage. I stayed at the Capt Cook for two nights. I had very high expectations of this hotel, as I was told it was the "Grand Dame" of Anchorage hotels.

The hotel is very large (with 3 towers) , with a early 18th century ship theme taken literally. Most bothersome to me was the fact that it was very dark, and I'm afraid in desperate need of an update. I don't think much has changed since the '70's, and perhaps that's how they like it. It seemed like every shade of brown consumed the entire interior. Rooms however, were very clean, comfortable, and quiet. Although there were some signs of updating, such as textiles in the room, there were many of the older furnishings in the room which I'm convinced were original, and alas showing its years of wear.

The hotel staff, right down to housekeeping, is pleasant and professional, and were very welcoming upon my arrival. Kudos to their staff,

I have no complaints about my stay here; the hotel is clearly geared up for the cruise set. However, next time, I would choose someplace brighter and more cheerful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear ABR-Seattle,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and your nice comments regarding the staff. History has shown the Hotel's design and decor though ship like in fashion has brought a warmth and a very welcoming atmosphere to our visitors. Everyone likes something different, that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream and that's what makes us all so unique. Hotels are the same way. Some big, some small, some in the US, some spread across the world. Great staff providing excellent service is what can really make a place special and we promise to keep that up. Have a great journey and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Captain Cook hotel for 2 nights and when we arrived (since we booked through Princess) it was screwed up some. Princess tends to do that and after all these years of doing this you'd think they had it down pat, well they don't. Our attitude became, just deal with it. The hotel has been redone and is very night, especially since the cost is very high. The location is great with many restaurants, museums and other sites are within walking distance. I used the gym which was wonderful and they did charge me $5. which I felt was OK. They have three towers and it does take a short learning curve to figure out where things are (LOL). They have a few restaurants in the hotel which we did not eat in. As I said they are surrounded by other good places. The hotel turned out to be fine, but when it was time to leave Princess had things screwed up. Buses weren't ready and you would thing this was the first time they every did this.

Room Tip: We were in tower 2 and had a great view from room 0943
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard F
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Richard F,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed the Hotel and our staff. We all remember you from your TripAdvisor Tag photo. I think almost all of the staff said, "That guy has the best chops I've ever seen". Major points! I am sorry some things were mixed up with the tour but it was our pleasure to help with making it better. 391 reviews??? Wow, you are a travel monster. I hope one day I can visit as many places as you have. Thank you for spending time in AK and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is a hotel that seems to specialise in receiving large numbers of guests who are passing through on the way to or from a flight or a cruise. You might expect therefore that their staffing and organisation would allow for that. We arrived as part of a large party to join a land tour, leading on to a cruise. Our rooms were not ready - should not be a problem - but we were given conflicting information about the storage of our luggage, trailing back and forth across the foyer, and then the concierge staff appeared to go AWOL. Next morning, in good time for breakfast but 20 minute wait to be seated, fifteen minutes for coffee to arrive and order taken, another fifteen minutes for food to arrive with clock ticking to booked departure. All in all poor organisation by the management. Individual staff very pleasant, good sized, clean, well equipped roons, pity the service didn't match them

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel A

Dear Nigel A,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I would like to address your concerns.

Our main goal is to help every guest to the fullest and exceed their expectations whether your with a big group or independent. I remember your group specifically because we worked directly with your tour provider to ensure a smooth arrival and departure.

Your group arrived between 1:00 and 1:30 p.m. Our check in time is at 4;00 p.m. and we try to get our guests in early if we can. The only obstacle here was that we were sold out the night before so early check ins on your arrival date weren't available which I apologize about.

All luggage was stored in our Ballroom which was locked after the unload process. Everyone was directed to the Bell/Concierge desk for either delivery or pick up of their luggage later in the day.

Communication is huge and that's something we can always get better at. I will speak with my team and we will use your comments as a training tool. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us and we look forward to seeing you again.